Player not participating - Yahoo league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Player not participating - Yahoo league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Player not participating - Yahoo league

Postby JRRNeiklot » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:31 pm

I'm the commissioner of a Yahoo league, and there's a guy who drafted a GREAT team, but isn't showing up. He's not setting his roster, he won't return emails - nothing. Is there any way to get another player to take over his team? I'm sure I could find someone interested easily enough, but without knowing his stats and password, I can't do crap. This will really have an effect on the league, as he had some good players and if he's not gonna use 'em, the rest of us could have. I can't access his roster, or I could just dump 'em all on waivers. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:52 pm

the only thing i can think of is to email yahoo support and try to convince them to change the settings so the commisioner can control the roster. i dont know if that will work though. i am in a league where most of the people know each other and a couple of the guys dont check their team too often so they gave the commisioner the power to add/drop or move around bench players so things stay competitive.

i think its a bad idea to just dump all the players though. if he has a great team, just do your best to manage it like it were your own. dump any deadweight, and pick up any free agents that a reasonable person would pick up.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JRRNeiklot » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:02 pm

What I'd really like to do is get another manager to take over his team. I don't want the hassle of running two teams in one league, nor the temptation of trading between teams, lol.

I'll email Yahoo, I should hear back from them by Christmas or so.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:11 pm

No, if he has commissioner control set to "no", you can't do a thing with his team. Yahoo probably won't even answer your emails, and there's no way you can get it transferred to another account. You'll just have to live without having those players available.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:17 pm

Maybe the guy just wanted to draft a team, set a line-up, and hoped he could win without managing it all the time, or ever. Just because he doesn't live up to your standards as an owner doesn't mean you can kick him out and seize his team. Maybe he doesn't live in his mom's basement playing dungeons and dragons online and managing his fantasy team obsessively.

Unless it is a keeper league, who really cares, unless you are trying to pry his players away? You cannot dissociate his team from his account, which may have much more than just one baseball team on it.

Just let him be.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

AWOL owner

Postby lifeform » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:39 pm

I feel for you, JRRNeiklot. Having an absentee owner changes the dynamics of the league and diminished the experience for the other owners.

There's nothing you can do this season, but next year, you may want to be careful about who you invite to join your league. Make it absolutely clear that participants are expected to play through the season.

If you're playing for cash, I like to have a rule where the last place team must pay an additional entry fee. (e.g. $20 to play, if you finish last, you must pay another $20.) You can even collect the extra before the season, and refund to all but the last place team. This provides incentive for teams who are out of the playoff race.

Good luck.
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JRRNeiklot » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:43 pm

DGroundhog wrote:Maybe the guy just wanted to draft a team, set a line-up, and hoped he could win without managing it all the time, or ever. Just because he doesn't live up to your standards as an owner doesn't mean you can kick him out and seize his team. Maybe he doesn't live in his mom's basement playing dungeons and dragons online and managing his fantasy team obsessively.

Unless it is a keeper league, who really cares, unless you are trying to pry his players away? You cannot dissociate his team from his account, which may have much more than just one baseball team on it.

Just let him be.

How the hell can he set his lineup? That works for his hitters, but what about pitching? We can only start 4 SPs per day, so you have to change that every couple of days, if not, you don't get jack.

Nice attitude, jerk.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:45 pm

I have yet to play in a Yahoo league without a dead team or two. It's just a sad fact of free online gaming.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby JRRNeiklot » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:46 pm

No cash involved, but it ruins the fun for everyone. I'm not trying to pry his players away. If he'd show up and just set his pitching lineup accordingly I'd have no problem with it. His pitching staff not being active could very well make the difference between winning and losing for someone.

Anyway, thanks for the insight guys.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:49 pm

Well, some people generally use a strategy of drafting only 4 good starters, and then just leaving them in the starting pitching slots so they don't have to worry about setting their lineup every day. Plus, if you just use the cumulative stats for four good pitchers, you are probably better off in ERA and WHIP than having eight or nine starters and rotating them in and out.

Bottom line is unless you can convince him to either turn commissioner control on or give you access to his Yahoo account (unlikely, because he probably has email, Yahoo auction stuff, etc on that account), you can't do anything about it.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers