Hampton left the game after 1.2 innings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hampton left the game after 1.2 innings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hampton left the game after 1.2 innings

Postby Super GM » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:43 pm

For those who have Mike Hampton on their team:

Mike Hampton just left the game with an injured groin!
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:50 pm

The Braves pitching rotation this year is terrible and it's going to come back to bite them eventually. Maddux is not the same Maddux of old and is pretty inadequate as the ace of a contending team. Ortiz is OK, but shaky and walks way too many. Hampton and Reynolds are both inconsistent, and past their prime. And Ramirez is a rookie that will go through ups and downs all year. Unless they go and acquire another good starter, the Braves will be doomed to more embarrassment in the playoffs.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:00 pm

Hampton and Reynolds are shaky. I agree. Maddux hasn't been the same Maddux that we all know. But with him I think it's a pretty sure bet, he'll come around, as we've seen in his last three starts. As for Ortiz being shaky...I don't think so. He's been rock solid so far. He does walk a aouple of guys too many, but he's still been great. Ramirez is still a young Grashopper with A LOT of potential. I'm waiting for Byrd to come off the DL. I wonder what he can do....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:12 pm

byrd can have a 4.50 era pretty easily, methinks.

personally, and no personal disrespect, i'd love to see their rotation fold, their offense come back to earth, and clear way for les expos to come through and make the playoffs.

the expos have been pretty damn good despite vlad playing like a mere mortal, vazquez coming back down to earth in a hurry, and tony armas going down for the year after starting off like a cy young contender.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:14 pm

From what I've heard, they don't even plan to put Byrd in the starting rotation when he gets back, and will just use him in the bullpen. He probably won't be 100% until next year.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:17 pm

As far as I heard, they were thinking about using Reynolds in the bullpen, not Byrd.
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Super GM » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:19 pm

Oh, and Sinicalypes, there is no way that is gonna happen. The only way for the Expos to make the playoffs is with a wild card. :-)
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:26 pm

The Braves have to worry more about the Phillies than they do about the Expos. If the Phillies offense ever gets going, I think that Thome/Abreu/Burrell are more dangerous than Jones/Jones/Sheffield, it's just that the Phillies offense is slumping and the Braves are hitting over their heads right now.

Also, the Phillies rotation is far better than the Braves rotation. I'd take Millwood/Wolf/Padilla/Myers over Maddux/Ortiz/Reynolds/Hampton anyday. The only thing the Braves have that's better than the Phillies is a better bullpen and a far better closer.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lepke » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:49 pm

When the Expos make the playoffs, will they play their home games @ Olympic or in Puerto Rico?
Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby trebor67 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:54 pm

That's an interesting point jdh, but right now, I'd take Mariner pitchers Moyer, Meche, Pineiro, Franklin and Garcia instead . As far as hitting goes, I'd also take Boone, Ichiro, Edgar and Olerud over the hitters you mention.

What with all the hype over Sosa's bat, nobody seems to be noticing the M's are 8-0 on their current road trip and are in the process of expanding a pretty large lead in the AL west.

The Mariners are currently making the Philly players you mention look like underachievers.

It will be interesting to see how Atlanta fares against the M's next week.
trebor67
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers