Why did Tyler Walker not get the save? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why did Tyler Walker not get the save?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why did Tyler Walker not get the save?

Postby closerhell » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:04 am

He came in with a runner on 1st and a 4-0 score. Isnt that a save? If noone was on base then it wouldnt have been, but he inherited a runner.
closerhell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:06 am

The tying run has to be on deck, he would of had to come in with men on 1st and 2nd for it to be a save.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:06 am

SAVES FOR RELIEF PITCHERS
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions: (1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and (2) He is not the winning pitcher; and (3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions: (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Why did Tyler Walker not get the save?

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:07 am

closerhell wrote:He came in with a runner on 1st and a 4-0 score. Isnt that a save? If noone was on base then it wouldnt have been, but he inherited a runner.

Tieing run was not ondeck so its no save
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby closerhell » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:07 am

thanks
Last edited by closerhell on Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
closerhell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby closerhell » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:09 am

guess I was wrong, I guess a three run lead is different than a four run lead with a runner on base.
closerhell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:12 am

closerhell wrote:no, the tying run has to be in the hole (batter after the on deck hitter). thats why when a close begins an inning with a 3 run lead or less he is in a save situation.
Thats only if they start the inning (or maybe its pitch 1 full inning), if it is a 1 or 2 out save the tying run has to be on-base, at the plate, or on deck.

I know the full MLB rule definintion of a save situation is laying around this board somewhere if you want to do a search and find it.

My guess is that it has appeared at least 50 times since the cafe opened, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Andy1234 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:27 am

I got bored, so I looked it up for you

DieHardCubbie wrote:According to the MLB rule book this is the official scoring for a save....

Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions: (1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and (2) He is not the winning pitcher; and (3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions: (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:39 am

Andy1234 wrote:I got bored, so I looked it up for you

DieHardCubbie wrote:According to the MLB rule book this is the official scoring for a save....

Whoa, deja vu...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby justinA » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:14 am

thehat wrote:SAVES FOR RELIEF PITCHERS

But wait, what if the pitcher comes in with nobody on, 2 outs, and a three run lead? I coulda swore that was a save, but apparently its not because it says the pitcher has to pitch a full inning.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers