Kruck rants again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kruck rants again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cookman » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:10 pm

What's with all the Kruk hate getting spit around here?

He may not be the most insightful commentator on TV, but he IS entertaining, and probably one of the top-10 sports figures I'd like to have a beer with. Not to mention that if every pro played the game like he did baseball would be infinitely better.

Hating Kruk is like hating Chris Farley, I just don't get it.
Last edited by cookman on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OaklandAces » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:11 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
OaklandAces wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:When was the last time you saw a White guy become complacent in his or her sport like this?

Jose Canseco

Was he lazy or just a bad fielder? I think that is the question. I don't think he was as much as a lazy player, I just think he was a poor fielder to begin with.

He didn't try. He got into an argument with LaRusa one time about it and said he's an entertainer that was paid to perform at the plate.
OaklandAces
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:40 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:I was having this discussion just today with someone.

I dont want this come out wrong is no way intended to be racist, however someone made a point that was rather interesting.

When was the last time you saw a White guy become complacent in his or her sport like this?

Everytime we hear about athletes who for some reason or another become lazy or complacent they seem to be african american athletes.

Please don't take this the wrong way, however what is the consensus on this.

#1 Is it the medias fault for this because they fail to actually discuss only the african american with big contracts?

#2 Is there really a connection between the two?

To me, Edmonds loafs around a lot of routine plays.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby zepfan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:50 pm

I think it's interesting that so many people would have been so quick bench Wells in this situation. Although I definitely wouldn't be impressed with a runner getting an extra base because of some lollygagging by my centerfielder I would say that if I was John Gibbons I definitely would not bench Wells right there.

Wells is a gold glove centerfielder who generally has a good work ethic and I would assume just had a brain cramp at that moment. Also there might have been considerable backlash for a relatively unknown manager to pull the biggest star on the team in the middle of a game.

I would definitely talk to him but to me this would be the wrong time to try to make an example out of someone. If it was Carl Everett or Milton Bradley that had made this mistake, then maybe. But Vernon Wells has a better track record and that should count for something and I seriously doubt that too many managers would want to bring that kind of attention upon themselves.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:11 pm

I wouldn't be happy with a guy that dogged it on a play. That said, I agree with zepfan. If a guy like Ichiro didn't beat out a ground ball would you immediately bench him for dogging it? You've got to ask whether it's something that the guy does on a constant basis or not and look at the circumstances surrounding the incident. If Wells doesn't have a history of this then you don't bench him (although you can certainly feel free to chew his ass out when he comes back to the dugout ;) ).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby strong » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:46 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:When was the last time you saw a White guy become complacent in his or her sport like this?

Everytime we hear about athletes who for some reason or another become lazy or complacent they seem to be african american athletes.

Personally, I think that this is just a followup of the notion that black people are lazy and have poor work ethics. It's not true and it's only rooted in selective memory. There's a laundry list of athletes, white or black, that have not exhibited the best work ethic and were considered lazy by their peers. To name a few white ones: Canseco, David Wells, JT Snow, Babe Ruth & Mantle; Christian Laettner; Mickelson & Daly; et al. The list is really much longer and seeps into every sport.

I don't think there's a color line for lazy/complacent athletes.

But, if it might be true that most of the athletes criticized are black, then I would suggest that it might be due to the fact that most of the criticism levied against complacent athletes is directed at basketball players. Many people are upset with the state of the game in the NBA, and possibly rightly so, and express criticism. And since the sport is composed primarily of black athletes, most of the athletes criticized in basketball will be black. Therefore reinforcing the notion that black athletes get criticized more or are lazier than white athletes...

Just my opinion...
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:49 pm

And Kruk himself, while never to my knowledge being criticized for how he played the game, was certainly criticized on many occasions for lacking a...how to put this...effective training regimen. :)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby JRRNeiklot » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:28 pm

There is no way in hell Mantle should be on that list. The man busted his ass every single second he was on the field. He played in more pain than most folks have ever had to deal with flat on their back in a hospital, let alone playing centerfield.

Nor should David Wells. His training regimen may be non-existent, but he plays to win when he's on the field.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Minor League Skilz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:07 pm

OaklandAces wrote:

Jose Canseco

I thought he was Cuban B! :-°
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby strong » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:28 am

JRRNeiklot wrote:There is no way in hell Mantle should be on that list. The man busted his ass every single second he was on the field. He played in more pain than most folks have ever had to deal with flat on their back in a hospital, let alone playing centerfield.

Nor should David Wells. His training regimen may be non-existent, but he plays to win when he's on the field.

I'll agree Mantle played through pain, but he was a notorious drunk and many teammates and journalists feel he never even lived up to his potential. And sure David Wells pitches to win, but once again, his lack of desire to train off the field has probably limited his succes on it.

And, anyway, my list was just a short sample and up for debate, but my point remains the same.
strong
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers