Roto or H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto or H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Choose one

Roto
40
44%
H2H
50
56%
 
Total votes : 90

Postby josebach » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:53 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:Only way I'd ever consider playing H2H is if it were Daily H2H (you play a new opponent each day and every MLB player is owned).

I don't see a system out there that supports that, so I enjoy Roto.


Different strokes. There is no wrong or right answer. It's completely an individual's preference. It does look like H2H is more popular, though... at least at this forum.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:41 am

josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:It's only fun if you win something worth winning. Beating someone else for a lousy 7 day stretch of the season is no big deal. So you had a hot streak and they had a cold one. That doesn't say anything at all. Doesn't prove anything at all. Just a big waste of breath to brag about winning one lousy 7 day stretch.

The only time that losing a 7 day stretch is going to really hurt you is in the playoffs. By then, only the best teams will even be playing. You make it sound like the worst team has just as much chance of winning on any given week than the best team. This is simply not true.


Not true? I watch it every year. I see teams that need to be completely reworked win simply because 1 or 2 guys got hot, or because the better team stunk it up for a week. Any team can win on any given week. That's why H2H has gained popularity over the years.


Josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:Never said there wasn't any luck in roto, just that luck is much more important in H2H. You can have the best team, the most consistant scoring, and not even make the playoffs in H2H. That's not the case in roto.

There is no way the best team with the most consistant scoring will NOT make the playoffs. This isn't fantasy football. The accumulation of wins, losses and ties makes luck a lot less of a factor than you're making it out to be. In a traditional 5X5 league, there are 220 individual matchups (games) split up to determine one's record. Fantasy football has 14. Luck will most definitely factor into some of those matchups, but the leader in Runs is going to win the "Runs" category a whole lot more often than he loses it.


No point in arguing this, so I'll leave it be.


Josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:Roto and H2H are completely different animals. H2H players want immediate gratification for having a hot 7 day stretch (or if they luck out and their opponent has a rough 7 day stretch) while roto players dig in for the long run. Maybe that's the big difference. You get gift wins in H2H when your opponent's team has a rough week. Something you don't get in roto leagues.


Immediate gratification? First place in our league has changed place 4 times. There are 22 H2H matchups before the playoffs. Granted, luck may be a factor over any given week, but luck will only take you so far in a 22 week season. The baseball season is 6 months long and there can only be one league winner. Regardless of what type of fantasy baseball you play, you're dug in for the long run.


Yes, immediate gratification. Just read the answers in this thread. People like H2H because no matter what spot they are in, they get to brag if they win and every week they have a chance to win. Most don't care at all about the yearly standings and there's no reason to. All you have to do is be in the top half (depending on the league) and you make the playoffs. In roto, it's either win the year or go home. There's no saving you if you finish with the second best team. Most people don't like that level of competition. Second best is pretty good in a H2H league, but nets you jack diddly squat in a roto league.

Josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:Anyway, roto will always be the king of fantasy baseball. ;-D


Judging by the poll results, I think I'd have to disagree with you. Just because roto was around first, doesn't mean it's better.


Popularity, and what's better, are two completely different things. Just look at the All-Star Game voting for proof of that ;-) . You want the best game, it's roto. Period.

Joesbach wrote:By accumulating statistics over the entire season, you're giving a huge advantage to the person that drafted the healthiest team. The best team at the end of the season is the one that should win the league. That's why MLB has the playoffs and doesn't choose the World Champion by which team has the best stats. Think about it. If real baseball was all about stats, players would only care about their personal statistics. The only players that would care about wins would be the pitchers.

Every week you win in H2H is a reason to celebrate. You could potentially celebrate 25 times in any given season. In roto, you basically celebrate once. I know which one to me sounds like more fun.


Where is it written that fantasy baseball has to mimic real baseball? If I wanted that, there's a whole online community of real people with real teams of real players constantly playing games through X-Box and PS2 set ups.

The object of the game is to have the best average, most runs, most home runs, most rbi, most steals, best era, best whip, most wins, most saves, and the most k's. Just not a fan of judging the "good" teams from the "bad" teams on 7 day stretches at a time. Not any fun and not accurate of the best teams at all.

I've fought my way through more injury ridden teams than I can count and still wound up winning the championship. That's called managing your team. That's what the game is about.

Fun is all what you make of it. Personally, me having a better week than you is not worth celebrating. For 7 lousy days I fielded a better team. Big frickin deal. It's not some sort of major accomplishment in my book. Ever hear someone brag about being in first after one week in a roto league? Of course not. It's no big accomplishment. There's no reason to brag about it even though that team has been better than ALL the teams in the whole league for a week. Now have the best team for the entire season? That's a reason to break out the Yoo-Hoo! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:47 am

Amen :-b
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:59 am

josebach wrote:Different strokes. There is no wrong or right answer. It's completely an individual's preference.


I actually forgot about that part. As long as you're playing and having a good time, there is no right and wrong answer, it's all just preferances. ;-D

See Josebach, we do agree on something. ;-) :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby josebach » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:23 am

Madison wrote:
Josebach wrote:You make it sound like the worst team has just as much chance of winning on any given week than the best team. This is simply not true.


Not true? I watch it every year. I see teams that need to be completely reworked win simply because 1 or 2 guys got hot, or because the better team stunk it up for a week. Any team can win on any given week. That's why H2H has gained popularity over the years.


Yes, it's not true. I guess you're telling us that the Astros have a 50% chance of beating St Louis (this year) any time they play? If what you say is true, all the teams with a record over .500 are just lucky. If you have a better team, the odds are you will win more often than not. 220 games is a large enough sample size to both accurately rank a team AND neutralize the good and bad luck that occurs any given week during the season.

The reason H2H is more popular is because it more closely relates to real baseball. Every week/day, there will be a winner or loser... this is exciting. Every season, there will be teams in a playoff race... this is exciting. Every year there will be the playoffs... this is exciting. Sitting a home run hitter for a weekend series in favor of a SB guy in hopes that he'll get you one more stolen base is exciting. All of these facets of fantasy baseball that people enjoy so much are completely missing from the roto format.


Madison wrote:Popularity, and what's better, are two completely different things. Just look at the All-Star Game voting for proof of that . You want the best game, it's roto. Period.



Madison wrote:As long as you're playing and having a good time, there is no right and wrong answer, it's all just preferances.


Which statment is true? You're confusing me. ;-)


JK. Look at it this way. We're both on a site talking about fantasy baseball. I think we probably have more in common than not. :-D
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby reznorsboy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:35 am

I like Roto a little better but really I don't mind either. WHat I don't like is weekly roster changes. My commish chose weekly roster changes and it sucks. If a guy gets injured on Monday or Tuesday you are stuck with him for a week. :-t
Image
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2617
Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:22 am

I like H2H b/c you get the joy of checking to see if you're winning or losing
Image

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4769
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In leather chair surfing the World Wide Web

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:22 pm

I agree with Mad on this one. I do play in H2H leagues, mostly with friends for fun. For my competetive leagues I play Roto as having someone have a hot week in the playoffs when my players are resting for the MLB playoffs and beating me doesn't seem like fun to me. I want the best team to win.
Image
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5540
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Maybe next year...

Postby nuggets » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:50 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:H2H, by quite a bit.

josebach said it perfectly. It's more realistic, it's more fun to follow year round, and it's just more exciting.

;-D


beltrans_boy wrote:Also, I'm really surprised to see H2H winning in the poll. It's usually skewed in the other direction every time there is a H2H/Roto debate here at the Cafe...

:-?



beltrans_boy wrote:. It's so much fun with a group of friends. The last place team can beat the first place team any given week, so nobody's ever out of it. Bragging rights are at stake, even if the championship is out of reach...it's a great time the whole way through.


Hey hey BooBoo, i agree with ya. ;-D

I've had more intellectual satisfaction from winning roto leagues, but what a drag they can be. H2H is fun and H2H with friends is addictive. Weekly bets like: loser wears a dress and serves the winner beer while we play MVP, loser cleans the bachelor pad, loser shaves head and anything else under the sun make H2H deathly competitive, weekly . Strategizing SP for weekly roster leagues and manipulating your lineup for average or power depending on what you need late in the week, so much fun. It is based partially on 'luck' but that's what makes it so much fun, anyone can win so even the not so knowledgeable friends can have fun too. :-)
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:43 am

josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:
Josebach wrote:You make it sound like the worst team has just as much chance of winning on any given week than the best team. This is simply not true.


Not true? I watch it every year. I see teams that need to be completely reworked win simply because 1 or 2 guys got hot, or because the better team stunk it up for a week. Any team can win on any given week. That's why H2H has gained popularity over the years.


Yes, it's not true. I guess you're telling us that the Astros have a 50% chance of beating St Louis (this year) any time they play? If what you say is true, all the teams with a record over .500 are just lucky. If you have a better team, the odds are you will win more often than not. 220 games is a large enough sample size to both accurately rank a team AND neutralize the good and bad luck that occurs any given week during the season.


Huh? Where did real teams come into play? I'm simply saying that I've seen teams of waiver wire scrubs beat a stacked team for a whopping 7 day stretch in H2H leagues, several times each year. 7 days is way too short of a period of time to determine which team is better.

Josebach wrote:The reason H2H is more popular is because it more closely relates to real baseball. Every week/day, there will be a winner or loser... this is exciting. Every season, there will be teams in a playoff race... this is exciting. Every year there will be the playoffs... this is exciting. Sitting a home run hitter for a weekend series in favor of a SB guy in hopes that he'll get you one more stolen base is exciting. All of these facets of fantasy baseball that people enjoy so much are completely missing from the roto format.


Don't look now, but you're admitting the immediate gratification that I spoke of earlier. ;-)


Josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:Popularity, and what's better, are two completely different things. Just look at the All-Star Game voting for proof of that . You want the best game, it's roto. Period.



Madison wrote:As long as you're playing and having a good time, there is no right and wrong answer, it's all just preferances.


Which statment is true? You're confusing me. ;-)


That in my opinion, roto is a far superior game to determine the best teams. Just because something's popular, that doesn't mean it's the best option, so both are true. :-D


Josebach wrote:JK. Look at it this way. We're both on a site talking about fantasy baseball. I think we probably have more in common than not. :-D


Agreed! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Laicekl and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact