Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Choose one

Roto
44%
H2H
56%

Total votes : 90

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:30 pm

It's too early for me to say for sure (this is my first year and my h2h leagues didn't start until Jun. 20) but I'd say I'm more of a roto fan than h2h. I just don't like the level of luck in h2h. Some scrub can go on a tear for your opponent...one of your ace SP's blows up and destroys era/whip...and you're done for the week. There's also a lot more strategy to roto in the trading...not only can you improve your team but you can build up leads in categories and then deal guys away. To take an example from gambling...roto is like texas hold'em while h2h is like blackjack. Both games have a certain amount of luck built into them but skill can take you a lot farther in texas hold'em than it can in blackjack. Not saying there's *that* little skill involved in h2h...just illustrating the amount of luck involved in one versus the other.

I will say though that I could see where h2h would be more exciting versus a roto league that you're out of...but so far I've been good enough (and lucky enough) to not get out of any of the roto leagues I'm playing in so I haven't had to experience months drag on with no hope of winning.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:46 am

josebach wrote:
Madison wrote:Roto and it's not even a contest. ;-D

Fantasy baseball is all about having the best team for the season and that's roto. ;-D

A lucky week is for fantasy football.

H2H and it's not even a contest. ;-D

I thought fantasy baseball was all about fun and that's H2H.

It's only fun if you win something worth winning. Beating someone else for a lousy 7 day stretch of the season is no big deal. So you had a hot streak and they had a cold one. That doesn't say anything at all. Doesn't prove anything at all. Just a big waste of breath to brag about winning one lousy 7 day stretch.

Oh, and I do play 1 H2H keeper league (completely started from scratch this year, so no keepers going in) with Cafe' regulars and I'm in 3rd, so it's not like I'm dead last and crying about how dumb H2H is. ;-)

josebach wrote:In roto, halfway through the season, people are basically eliminated. How fun is it watching three months of baseball knowing that you have no chance to win the league?

No different from H2H in that respect. We've got guys who won't make the playoffs right now. Not any different at all other than they can waste their breath bragging if they happen to have a hot 7 day stretch in a H2H league. ;-7

josebach wrote:Talk about luck. Yes, there is luck in H2H, but if you don't think there's luck in Roto, you're crazy. Is a guy that drafted Beltran, Helton, Jason Scmidt and Chavez with his first 4 picks a bad player? Because this guy most assuredly would NOT have a chance of winning any roto league.

... and don't even get me started on injuries.

Never said there wasn't any luck in roto, just that luck is much more important in H2H. You can have the best team, the most consistant scoring, and not even make the playoffs in H2H. That's not the case in roto.

Look at H2H points leagues. How many posts do we get around here where someone is way outscoring the league but has a losing record? Just unlucky. Certainly not the case with roto.

Roto and H2H are completely different animals. H2H players want immediate gratification for having a hot 7 day stretch (or if they luck out and their opponent has a rough 7 day stretch) while roto players dig in for the long run. Maybe that's the big difference. You get gift wins in H2H when your opponent's team has a rough week. Something you don't get in roto leagues.

Anyway, roto will always be the king of fantasy baseball. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WittyC » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:05 am

Madison wrote:Never said there wasn't any luck in roto, just that luck is much more important in H2H. You can have the best team, the most consistant scoring, and not even make the playoffs in H2H. That's not the case in roto.

That's because there are no playoffs in roto! :-D

I agree that H2H is better with people you know, but roto is better with those you don't.

Even if your team does just get hot for 7 days against the best team, bragging is still legit. Your boys took it to their boys. If the Cubs end up taking the season series from the Chi-Sox, then miss the playoffs, I'm still going to bring it up to my buddy who's a Sox fan 2 to 3 times a day. That's how bragging rights work.

Roto is fine, but it feels so... cold. :*)

It's like surgical or something... there's no life to it. I'll beat the dead horse here, but when you can play spoiler at the end of the year, that's a great feeling. It's sort of like when the Bravos knocked my Cubs out of the WC race last year after we beat them in the 03 playoffs... I know folks in Atlanta were feeling pretty damn good about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Half Massed » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:28 am

if you have real active managers who like to talk smack, h2h is a much better format, but if you like the long haul, a more slow paced type, then its roto. since i always seem to be checking my team twice or more a day, h2h is much more interesting to me, because 1 day, even 1 game, can make such a difference. if i'm down by a homer and winning it would win me the week, i'll find myself watching the last game being played on sunday and rooting for my guy every time he's up even if it's teams i don't care about. for example it's a lot more fun to get amped up about turnbow shutting out the mets in the 9th after giving up a hit and a walk when i live in california than to gain a few points in the roto standings. if you have a roto league full of active managers that make a lot of trades, then it's more fun, but that's not always the case. it's more exciting to live in the moment in fantasy baseball than in the whole season, however having a trade work out in your favor because a slumping guy has a great 2nd half or whatever is a pretty good feeling as well. i play in both formats each year and always find myself caring more about my h2h leagues, even if i'm losing them and winning the roto. to end this, fantasy baseball is a great thing regardless of which way you play. ;-D h2h's just more exciting }:-) had to say it, sorry :-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:09 am

Roto. H2H leagues lend themselves to problems regading 2 start vultures, those who only draft hitting or RP, roster churners, etc.

H2H for football of course.

If you can work your H2H baseball league out with friends into a happy workable format hats off to you. Most of them just seem worthless to me, and tend to reward those who abuse the system the best.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:21 am

H2H, more element of the game(luck, etc...)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago RedSox » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:36 am

H2H all the way. I feel more like a team manager in H2H, the ups and downs, the element of chance... I like winning and losing every week rather then just once at the end of the season. Its like a skins golf tournament.
To each his own though...
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseballboy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:35 pm

I've done roto since 1995 and I love it! However, I'm in a H2H league this year for the 1st time (along with my roto league) and I'm really liking it too. It's with guys from work and there's alot of trash talking, side bets, and a $50 bonus each week for high score. I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Love them both! ;-D
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby josebach » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:04 pm

Madison wrote:It's only fun if you win something worth winning. Beating someone else for a lousy 7 day stretch of the season is no big deal. So you had a hot streak and they had a cold one. That doesn't say anything at all. Doesn't prove anything at all. Just a big waste of breath to brag about winning one lousy 7 day stretch.

The only time that losing a 7 day stretch is going to really hurt you is in the playoffs. By then, only the best teams will even be playing. You make it sound like the worst team has just as much chance of winning on any given week than the best team. This is simply not true.

Madison wrote:Never said there wasn't any luck in roto, just that luck is much more important in H2H. You can have the best team, the most consistant scoring, and not even make the playoffs in H2H. That's not the case in roto.

There is no way the best team with the most consistant scoring will NOT make the playoffs. This isn't fantasy football. The accumulation of wins, losses and ties makes luck a lot less of a factor than you're making it out to be. In a traditional 5X5 league, there are 220 individual matchups (games) split up to determine one's record. Fantasy football has 14. Luck will most definitely factor into some of those matchups, but the leader in Runs is going to win the "Runs" category a whole lot more often than he loses it.

Madison wrote:Roto and H2H are completely different animals. H2H players want immediate gratification for having a hot 7 day stretch (or if they luck out and their opponent has a rough 7 day stretch) while roto players dig in for the long run. Maybe that's the big difference. You get gift wins in H2H when your opponent's team has a rough week. Something you don't get in roto leagues.

Immediate gratification? First place in our league has changed place 4 times. There are 22 H2H matchups before the playoffs. Granted, luck may be a factor over any given week, but luck will only take you so far in a 22 week season. The baseball season is 6 months long and there can only be one league winner. Regardless of what type of fantasy baseball you play, you're dug in for the long run.

Madison wrote:Anyway, roto will always be the king of fantasy baseball. ;-D

Judging by the poll results, I think I'd have to disagree with you. Just because roto was around first, doesn't mean it's better.

By accumulating statistics over the entire season, you're giving a huge advantage to the person that drafted the healthiest team. The best team at the end of the season is the one that should win the league. That's why MLB has the playoffs and doesn't choose the World Champion by which team has the best stats. Think about it. If real baseball was all about stats, players would only care about their personal statistics. The only players that would care about wins would be the pitchers.

Every week you win in H2H is a reason to celebrate. You could potentially celebrate 25 times in any given season. In roto, you basically celebrate once. I know which one to me sounds like more fun.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Registered_Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:09 pm

Only way I'd ever consider playing H2H is if it were Daily H2H (you play a new opponent each day and every MLB player is owned).

I don't see a system out there that supports that, so I enjoy Roto.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers