How Can My Team Become A Contender? - UPDATED 7-6-05 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How Can My Team Become A Contender? - UPDATED 7-6-05

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Can My Team Become A Contender? - UPDATED 7-6-05

Postby Matthew M. » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:24 pm

I am in a Yahoo! 4x4 (AVG, HR, RBI, SB/W, SV, ERA, K) Rotisserie league and I have been stuck near the bottom of the 8 team league all season. I am currently in 6th place and here is my roster...

C - Victor Martinez
1B - Nick Johnson
2B - Chone Figgins
SS - Michael Young
3B - Alex Rodriguez
OF - Bobby Abreu
OF - Garret Anderson
OF - J.D. Drew
UTL - Eric Chavez
UTL - Justin Morneau
Bench - Jose Reyes
Bench - Todd Helton

Pitching

SP - Roy Halladay
SP - Roger Clemens
SP - Jeremy Bonderman
RP - Keith Foulke
RP - B.J. Ryan
Bench - Derek Lowe
Bench - Brad Penny
Bench - Javier Vazquez

I am currently tied for 3rd in HR's, 4th in RBI's, 4th in SB, tied for 7th in AVG., tied for 2nd in W's, 7th in SV's, 6th in K's, 6th in ERA and trailing the first place team by 21 points (I'm currently 6th). What moves does my team need to make? What players should I look into acquiring? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D
Last edited by Matthew M. on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matthew M. Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby summergames » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:56 pm

To me your pitching looks good. Seems like you may need more power hitters. I'm new at this so please take this into account when making decisions.
summergames
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby andrew14 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:11 pm

Halladay doesn't get alot of Ks and Foulke will try his best to screw your ERA...Maybe move Halladay/Reyes for Pedro or Santana to help with Ks...I think Bonderman will get better in the 2nd half and lower his ERA, so that should help, and he gives pretty good Ks. You also have to find someone better than Foulke, but I don't know who would trade for him. As for avg...I'm not too sure why it's so low. It seems like you could do better than Drew in the OF. I don't usually recommend specific players b/c I think it's better to try to fill other teams needs with guys you don't need as much and take their players you need, no matter who they are.

Help me with my roster link below?
"Insert witty quote here . . ."
andrew14
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

If I were you....

Postby king sisyphus » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:43 pm

I would just punt saves. In case you don't know what it means to punt a category, it means to give up on it completely in order to concentrate on and try to dominate the other categories... Move Foulke and Ryan to guys who are near or at the top in saves because they are goin to be the ones who will pay you good prices for them... Don't let them lowball you....

Keep Arod and Abreu at all costs and use almost any other bat along with either Ryan or Foulke to get that top pitcher you need (within reason of course, on your side... Don't just give away your players)... Ideally the trade you're looking for would be one where the other side has the best and worst player in the deal and you would be dealing him the middle 2 players in your closers and bats...

Also, guys like Helton are drastically underachieving. You will not get anywhere near as good a deal as you should get if you try to trade Helton because he is at his lowest right now and lots of people are starting to lose faith in him... I'm not one of them -- he is too good a hitter not to turn things around, but at the same time, I would not be willing to take a risk and trade away a good player of mine for him.... He may be one of those guys who mysteriously lost his power when the steroid rules went into effect or it could be just the product of the losing environment around him... But whatever it is, hold on to him and just hope he works out, because if he starts hitting like he should, your offense dramatically improves.

Good luck man, and you will be just fine.

Oh and one last thing, I don't know how you are with free agent and waiver pickups, but definitely go for the hot bats and drop the cold ones (at least the ones that you can afford to drop), and spot start with pitching, it is much riskier though.
king sisyphus
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Matthew M. » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:47 pm

Thank You to all of you for your insight and candor.

A question for you, though, KS...

I would love to unload Foulke. He'll get you the saves, no question, but he doesn't give me the K's nor does he have a ERA that is acceptable to me. The thing about the SV's, I'm not really ready to "punt" it yet, because I'm only 14 SV's behind the leader.

But you say that I need a top of the line pitcher. Would you mind to elaborate, because I always thought that someone like a Halladay or Clemens were those types of people. What type of pitcher do you think I should trade for? Someone made a suggestion of a Halladay/Reyes for Santana or Pedro trade... do you think that would be pretty good for me?

Also another type of person that I think I need is simply someone who will give me some HR's and RBI's. I need an RBI producer and, frankly, Drew isn't cutting it. I decided to - just for the heck of it - make a Helton/Drew for Vladimir Guerrero offer to someone (I know, it's a bit underpaying, but there's been some bonehead deals done on there before) but when you said to keep Helton, I cancelled it before he got to see it. But I just really need that big RBI producer and HR hitter, because Drew isn't cutting it and, frankly, I am VERY, VERY sick of Victor Martinez. I have been very patient with him, but he's another reason why my AVG sucks.
Matthew M. Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthew M. » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:34 pm

Bump!
Matthew M. Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby king sisyphus » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:53 pm

first of all, anytime you can get a top 4 player in the major leagues in guerrero, you have to go for it.... even if it means helton/drew... not sure if he will take it because heltons struggles have been well documented but its a deal you should try to make.... helton will rebound to a point but he wont reach his career levels, i was just saying to think from this point on.... it is inconceivable to me that helton will keep being this bad and he is too good not to rebound from this, no matter what... and drew, when healthy, is a force.... it is just his health issues i question... but vlad is unreal and if it means unloading those 2 guys for him, thats as good a deal as you can get.. a superstar for 2 good players is something that both sides have to consider....

and victor is rebounding lately, have you been checking his stats? he isnt as horrible as he used to be... again, its just me, but i think clevelands offense has been terribly underperforming thus far, and victor is a big reason why that is so.... im a fan of victor, i had him last season, and while i dont think that he will reach his levels last year, he will do much better from this day forward than he has thus far.... clevelands offense is rebounding as a whole so far, and personally i think its just a matter of time before victor starts deserving that cleanup spot that he currently occupies....

if you can get johan for halladay/reyes, go for it... halladay is a very underrated pitcher and its because of his injury plagued year last year but he is definitely capable of winning the cy young again this year.... however, johan wins fantasy leagues by himself... he is in a class of his own and i have to think that halladay doesnt do quite what he has been doing thus far, for the rest of the year.... johan gets better as the year goes on... im a huge fan of johan and if you can get him, go for it... maybe even randy... but i wouldnt do halladay/reyes for anyone else, because reyes is pretty darned good himself.... esp in stolen bases... pedro has been the best pitcher so far, but man, idk... he has never really been an endurable pitcher, yuno? and he isnt any younger than he was in his prime... we all knew he would be good for this part of the season (granted, maybe not this good) and who knows if he will be able to hold up and pitch this well the rest of the way.... i cant answer that for you, its a risk on your part... which is why halladay/reyes is more than fair... if you can get away with someone less, go for it... idk man about pedro... he is unbelievable, but really, i just dont know... enigma...
king sisyphus
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Matthew M. » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:31 am

Thank You very much, sir, your analysis has been fantastic. Just one more question, though...

If I decided to make the Halladay (who won his 11th today)/Reyes for Santana deal, do you think Figgins and Abreu would be enough to keep up in the SB category?
Matthew M. Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthew M. » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:14 pm

Well, my Vlad trade was rejected. He needed the RBI's desperately. So, the question is: who else, for Helton and Drew, could I trade for? Someone around, or at least very close to Vlad's level.
Matthew M. Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthew M. » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:04 pm

Bump!
Matthew M. Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team