Novice at Fantasy Baseball- Need Advice! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Novice at Fantasy Baseball- Need Advice!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Novice at Fantasy Baseball- Need Advice!

Postby summergames » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:43 pm

Hello,
I'll rate other teams as well and contribute to the board. You seem to have a really nice forum here.
I'm new to fantasy sports but, I'm finding it lots of fun!! Unfortunatly, my team is in 4th place in a 6 team league!
I really need some advice.
It's a head to head league with the scoring as follows:
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL
Stat Categories: R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, K, A, AVG, OPS, W, SHO, SV, H, ER, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

I'll post my team roster and the roster of the team in first place in case that helps. Since it's a small league there are plenty of possibilities as to players to pick up and drop.

Here's my roster:
C J. Posada (NYY - C) -
1B M. Piazza (NYM - C,1B)
2B L. Castillo (Fla - 2B)
3B M. Mora (Bal - 3B)
SS D. Jeter (NYY - SS) - -
OF J. Damon (Bos - OF-
OF C. Lee (Mil - OF) -
OF S. Podsednik (CWS - OF) - -
Util J. Mauer (Min - C) - -
BN R. Sexson (Sea - 1B) - - -
BN H. Matsui (NYY - OF-
BN B. Boone (Sea - 2B) -

SP M. Buehrle (CWS - SP) -
SP R. Clemens (Hou - SP) - -
RP M. Rivera (NYY - RP) -
RP G. Mota (Fla - RP) - -
P J. Peavy (SD - SP) -
P A. Eaton (SD - SP) -
P M. Mussina (NYY - SP-
BN R. Johnson (NYY - SP) -
BN D. Kolb (Atl - RP) -
DL M. PriorDL (ChC - SP) -

Here is the roster of the team that is in first place:
C M. Barrett (ChC - C)
1B D. Ortiz (
2B M. Giles (Atl - 2B)
3B A. Ramírez (ChC - 3B)
SS R. Furcal (Atl - SS)
OF V. Guerrero (LAA - OF)
OF G. Sheffield (NYY - OF)
OF M. Cabrera (Fla - OF)
Util P. Konerko (CWS - 1B)
BN K. Griffey Jr. (Cin - OF) -
BN T. Glaus (Ari - 3B)
BN J. Thome (Phi - 1B)
BN G. Anderson (LAA - OF) T

SP R. Halladay (Tor - SP
SP W. Miller (Bos - SP)
RP B. Lidge (Hou - RP)
RP K. Foulke (Bos - RP)
P C. Cordero (Was - RP)
P B. Wickman (Cle - RP)
P Fr. Rodríguez (LAA - RP)
BN M. Clement (Bos - SP)

There are plenty of players available. Bonds, Sosa, S. Casey,etc
Pitchers: Bonderman, Greinke, J Mays

I know that I am weak in the relief pitching. Pitching should become stronger in general when Prior returns. Kolb is hurting me.

Sexton and Boone are underperforming.
Any advice on how to move up the ranks would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
summergames
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:45 pm

Welcome to the cafe. ;-D

A couple of things I see right off the bat are Piazza at 1st :-o There has to be some better options in a 6 team league and also I believe Kolb is done. You can probably drop him.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BTOWNHESS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:51 pm

ID PERSONALLY TRY TO PACKAGE PIAZZA/SEXSON FOR AN UPGRADE AT 1ST. OR PICK UP SOMEONE OFF THE WW...IM GUESSING SOMEONE LIKE A DARYLE WARD COULD POSSIBLY BE AVAILABLE IN A 6 TEAM LEAGUE?

I AGREE WITH THE GUY BEFORE ME, KOLB SHOULD HAVE BEEN DROPPED OFF YOUR SQUAD A MONTH AGO. HE'S TERRIBLE.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby summergames » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:38 pm

It's interesting that you should say that. I was just offered a trade of Konerko for Piazza. Do you think that would help me?

I appreciate all the help so far.
I realize that I have too much depth with catchers! Three catchers is too many. I was just waiting to see if Mauer was going to be ok this season. It seems like he's back in his groove but, I worry about more health issues with him. What do you think?
summergames
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BTOWNHESS » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:21 am

summergames wrote:It's interesting that you should say that. I was just offered a trade of Konerko for Piazza. Do you think that would help me?

I appreciate all the help so far.
I realize that I have too much depth with catchers! Three catchers is too many. I was just waiting to see if Mauer was going to be ok this season. It seems like he's back in his groove but, I worry about more health issues with him. What do you think?

i dont know why you havent already accepted that. Konerko will put up 40 + homers and 100-120 RBI's and have around the same batting average as Piazza. Piazza hasnt come close to those numbers in years...you already have Posada at cather and upgrading at first base means you can trade Sexson for pitching help or a very good 3b since Mora just went on the shelf
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Quadron » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:46 pm

A 6 team league... hm. Take the Konerko-Piazza trade. I'm betting the other owner wants to stick him at Catcher. Start Matsui over Mauer, and trade/drop Boone. He's old, and worthless in a shallow league. Mota and Kolb should be gone: neither of them is gonna get saves. Try to upgrade at 2nd and look for better 1st basemen: Lee, Teixeira, Ortiz, Pujols, Delgado, Dunn, Johnson, etc... (even Thome/Helton)
Quadron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby summergames » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:11 pm

I'm making progress. In the pitching area, I've dropped Kolb and picked up Bonderman. I need to trade Mota for another relief pitcher.

1st base is still a problem. Teixeira, Ortiz, Pujols, Delgado, Dunn, Utley, Thorne, Helton are all taken. Johnson, Ward, and Casey are available.

You are all right...I still need to get rid of Piazza! One of the other managers may be willing to trade Piazza for Figgins. Which is a better trade... Piazza for Figgins or Konerko?

I do need to drop Boone too. I don't think he'll get better either.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm trying to get to where I need to be. Seems like in a small league you can't really hold on to players that are underperforming at the moment. Since every team is an all star team, it seems that you really need to cut players in favor of someone that is good at the moment. Do yall of you agree with me? Thanks again for the help so far.
summergames
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DRB » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:55 pm

I'd trade Piazza for Figgins here actually. He's a good backup that you can throw in at any position almost and he'll give you R, SB and some RBIs. I'd play Sexson at 1B as I look for him to have similar numbers to Konerko. IE - around 40 Hrs 100 RBI low avg.

There is absolutely no reason to be carrying 3 Catchers in a league at all. Once you get rid of Piazza that leaves you with Mauer and Posada. Posada obviously is going to be your starter.

I'd shop Mauer like crazy. I'd even actually offer him for Konerko if that owner is different from the Figgins owner. Mauer is too injury prone and you never know when he is going to start. Thats far too much uncertainty for your team.

You are correct in dropping Boone. Make him walk the plank for sure. It's a 6 team league so there has to be a couple 3rd tier closers out there. You gotta drop Mota and Kolb as well because they are useless right now

Check the waiver wire for guys like:

Todd Jones, Duchscherer, Tyler Walker, Fuentes, Reitsma, etc.

At least 1 or 2 have got to be sitting on your waiver wire.

You might want to look at picking up one of the hot 2B/3B options out there right now too as B. Hall, Felipe Lopez, and Cantu are all stronger options then Castillo on your team. And almost all might be available in a 6 teamer.

Good Luck and have fun!

DRB ;-D
DRB
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

response

Postby cfkel33 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:07 pm

your pitching has to be best in the league with prior, peavy, clemens, mussina and johnson. i can't imagine anyone has stronger starters than that. you should try to pick up a big bat. maybe go for a pujols, or derrek lee, or a manny or ortiz.....my guess is that some players in your league are in need of a pitcher. maybe package a pitcher and piazza or another one of your position players for one of these bats.....
cfkel33
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Lots of revisions to the team. What do you think now?

Postby summergames » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:03 pm

I've made lots of revisions to the team recently. Here's the new roster. I'm still in 4th place in my 6 team head to head yahoo league.

I feel that I need an upgrade at 2nd base. The only good 2nd basemen free agents available are Biggio, Lopez, and Lugo. Should I drop Castillo for one of these three?

Also, someone wants to trade my Bonderman for Delgado. Do you think this would be a good trade for me?

Any comments on how I can improve to move up from 4th place would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here's my current roster:

C M. Piazza (NYM - C,1B)
1B R. Sexson (Sea - 1B)
2B L. Castillo (Fla - 2B)
3B M. Mora (Bal - 3B)
SS D. Jeter (NYY - SS)
OF S. Podsednik (CWS - OF)
OF J. Damon (Bos - OF)
OF J. Encarnación (Fla - OF)
Util H. Matsui (NYY - OF)
BN G. Sizemore (Cle - OF)
BN C. Lee (Mil - OF)