Opinions on Beltran? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Opinions on Beltran?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Kavorka » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:21 pm

Phatferd wrote:What I don't get is everyone is quick to rip on a guy like Beltre for signing his big deal and going into a slump.

Beltran signed his huge ass contract and now he is underperforming. Why aren't people calling for his head? Isn't it odd that he almost doubled his HR totals last year in a contract year? This is the classic case of a contract year inflating a guy's value for next year.

I guess you're not from NY. Radio & newspapers are killing him here.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:37 pm

i was not as high on beltran as most going into the year for 3 main reasons.... his BA was not good enough for me to take in the top 3 picks, willie as his manager scared me( with his yankee background, i just figured it would take a while for him to come around to the NL style of play), and thirdly i figured the big contract might slow his game down a bit....

so far i have been pretty much right,,, but the last 2 or 3 weeks i have been trying to go around and buy beltran fairly cheaply if i can..... due to most of the reasons that bighOrt mentioned earlier,,, i think beltran is due for a onslaught the next few months....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:27 pm

well, to be fair -- beltran has had a much better track record historically then beltre. he is percentage wise the best base stealer in mlb history.

beltran will at least come around with the power and run stats. some of it has to be due to manager/health.

beltre just stinks this year.

I swear in my most competive league I am snake bit: I have beltran, helton, schmidt and huff. traded for beltran and huff a while ago and viewed as having two first round picks, a second and third. I am sunk to a degree, the only strategy is to hope they come back.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby flbtank » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:31 am

These are exactlyy the points I was thinking about when I just pulled the trigger & got beltran for Garrett Anderson & Chris Capuano. I needed to free up a roster spot for Harden coming back and I figured Garrett at his best is a sub par beltran. Win Win for me.
flbtank
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jagfan21 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:39 am

hell turn it around

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:37 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
nuggets wrote:I like the length of the posts here :-D

I'd use all that info you all just gave us to [b] sell [/b ]Beltran, if I owned him. He's in a pitchers park, going through an injury time and has huge potential value that you can use to aquire a solid player. I'd think big and package players to get Pujols, Vlade, you know the guys I'm talking about.

As great as Beltran's track record and upside for the second half and beyond are, the other player in that package would have to be awfully good to get a Vlad or Pujols out of me.

I'm saying, if you can get Beltran for somebody you drafted in, say, the first 5 Rounds or so, and you feel may tail off this season (or beyond, if this is a keeper), I'd make the move.

So what types of guys would you give for Beltran at this point? Edmonds, A. Jones, Corey Patterson ( :-b ), Ichirio, Dunn, Delgado...?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:32 pm

Yoda wrote:Beltran was way overrated. It's not like he's doing terribly now but he was unconscious in 04.

His 04 was't much off his previous 3.

Runs Created

01 118
02 117
03 117
04 124

His RC/27 for the same 4 years

01 6.26
02 6.05
03 6.88
04 6.92

OPS

03 .913
04 .912

His 04 wasn't much off what he's done the previous 3 years, especially in 03. I think it's more a case of a new place with a big contract (Beltre), where he is trying to justify his contract. In a non keeper, you might not make out, but in a keeper, i wouldn't move Beltran, unless you got a 1st rounder back.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Yeah well another 0 for tonight. I am not dealing him in my keeper, but I am now considering benching him as it is just ridiculous what he is putting up right now (or not putting up actually). Bench Beltran for the likes of Frank Thomas is what it is comng too.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:45 pm

I just don't see him stealing bags with any consistancy for the rest of the year. I think owners just need to come to grips with that. I think his hitting should get better from here on in.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:52 pm

At this point I wouldbe thrilled with some quality HR/RBI/Run numbers. He is down in every category.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers