J. Gomes! What is in his water?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J. Gomes! What is in his water?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:07 am

Jagfan21 wrote:itll drop like a bad habbit dont buy into this nonsense
;-D
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:38 pm

Since June 22, including his 3 HR day (btw has there ever been anyone who hit 3 HRs in one game without being a 25+ HR type hitter at the time?) Mr. Gomes has hit .289 with 7 HR (that means he is on a 40 HR pace for one and a half months). His OPS is .967 for the season, as a ROOKIE. .967 as a rookie!! Very underrated for ROY.

Don't sleep on Devil Rays for fantasy purposes too.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AmericanShipbuilding » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:35 pm

Is he going to play every day? I just grabbed him off the WW to replace Torii. His numbers are astounding, but the sample size is still so small. However, last time I grabbed a guy immediately following a three-HR day, he turned out to be Morgan Ensberg, so I suppose I am hoping to once again catch that lightning in this bottle.
AmericanShipbuilding
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RC » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:36 am

I think the only thing to consider in the short term is that Gomes and TB are playing a series @ Texas. May be worth a flyer in the short term.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swyck » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:21 pm

Where does Hollins fit into the mix? He had a poor June, but over .900 OPS for the other two months he's played. THere seems to be some bewildering time sharing going on with the Rays OF, so I don't know whether to go with Gomes, or Hollins.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:30 pm

I'm still not sold on this guy. He's got a bad attitude and sure thinks a lot of himself. The guy is going to get plunked pretty soon as well if he doesn't stop showing up pitchers.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:35 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:i would not buy into the gomes hot streak right now.... his potential is limited to a 250 BA with about 30 hrs.... in fact he will be lucky to hit 250.... plus with the tampa farm systems depth at OF, he should be a 4th OF(or hopefully trade bait) for the rays in a year or 2..... with crawford and baldelli already in the majors, i would say that there is at least 5 outfielders in the minors that the devil rays are much higher on than gomes......

Yessir. He will have a great OPS, though, but the high OBP won't help in traditional 5X5 leagues.

Lou's enamored with tough vets like Damon Hollins, but most of us know that he's crap who shouldn't be playing.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ultrazero » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I'm still not sold on this guy. He's got a bad attitude and sure thinks a lot of himself. The guy is going to get plunked pretty soon as well if he doesn't stop showing up pitchers.

How does he show up pitchers? I'm curious.
ultrazero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:53 pm

ultrazero wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I'm still not sold on this guy. He's got a bad attitude and sure thinks a lot of himself. The guy is going to get plunked pretty soon as well if he doesn't stop showing up pitchers.

He admired his game-winning homer against Detroit for a second or two before starting his trot. Pudge had quite a few words for him when he came back to home. In my opinion, though, if you make achievements, showboat all you want. However, you must back the smack up with what you do on the field. Will you get crucified? Sure, but who really cares. I don't find that stuff to be a big deal.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:58 pm

warrick95 wrote:
ultrazero wrote:

He admired his game-winning homer against Detroit for a second or two before starting his trot. Pudge had quite a few words for him when he came back to home. In my opinion, though, if you make achievements, showboat all you want. However, you must back the smack up with what you do on the field. Will you get crucified? Sure, but who really cares. I don't find that stuff to be a big deal.

I chalk it up to rookie awkwardness. I remember Soriano did the same thing when brought up to the Yanks. I don't think Gomes does it any more, but I've only seen highlights.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers