FRUSTRASHON! Help Please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

FRUSTRASHON! Help Please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FRUSTRASHON! Help Please

Postby rudeswings » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:19 am

Need help. Started out absolutely on FIRE!! Dominated first place. Having a rough May/June, though. Can't seem to get back into 1st, keep switching back & forth between 2nd & 3rd, but nowhere close to 1st since the end of April. Am I just panicking? Who should I pick up? Who should I drop? Who should I try trading for who? What names should I be looking out for? What's wrong?!? ANY ADVICE PLEASE!! I'm a total noob, but will try my best to help you . . . leave your link!!

Stat Cats: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

MY TEAM roster (as of 6/21/05):
    C J. Posada (NYY)
    1B P. Konerko (CWS)
    2B A. Soriano (Tex)
    3B D. Wright (NYM)
    SS C. Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B,SS,OF)
    OF C. Lee (Mil)
    OF C. Crawford (TB)
    OF V. Guerrero (LAA)
    Util J. Damon (Bos)
    BN B. Roberts (Bal)
    BN T. Helton (Col)
    BN J. Edmonds (StL)

SP A. Burnett (Fla)
    SP J. Garland (CWS)
    RP B. Ryan (Bal)
    RP B. Lidge (Hou)
    P C. Cordero (Was)
    P M. Buehrle (CWS)
    P J. Nathan (Min)
    BN R. Oswalt (Hou)
    BN D. Willis (Fla)
    DL E. Bedard DL (Bal)

1st place guy's roster (as of 6/21/05):
    C I. Rodríguez (Det)
    1B D. Ortiz (Bos)
    2B C. Biggio (Hou - 2B,OF)
    3B Á. Rodríguez (NYY)
    SS D. Jeter (NYY)
    OF J. Encarnación (Fla)
    OF A. Dunn (Cin - 1B,OF)
    OF B. Giles (SD)
    Util D. Lee (ChC)

SP B. Myers (Phi)
    SP J. Beckett DL (Fla)
    RP M. Rivera (NYY)
    RP E. Guardado (Sea)
    P P. Martínez (NYM)
    P M. Clement (Bos)
    P B. Zito (Oak)
    BN C. Zambrano (ChC)
    BN J. Schmidt (SF)
    BN K. Rogers (Tex)
    BN M. Mulder (StL)
    BN R. Clemens (Hou)

2nd place guy's roster (as of 6/21/05):
    C V. Martínez (Cle)
    1B A. Pujols (StL)
    2B J. Reyes (NYM - 2B,SS)
    3B M. Mora (Bal)
    SS R. Furcal (Atl)
    OF B. Abreu (Phi)
    OF M. Ramírez (Bos)
    OF M. Cabrera (Fla)
    Util H. Blalock (Tex)
    BN A. Ramírez (ChC)
    BN C. Delgado (Fla)
    BN J. Vidro DL (Was)
    DL B. Bonds DL (SF)

SP M. Mussina (NYY)
    SP F. García (CWS)
    RP J. Isringhausen (StL)
    RP F. Cordero (Tex)
    P T. Hoffman (SD)
    P C. Carpenter (StL)
    P B. Sheets (Mil)
    BN T. Hudson DL (Atl)
    BN E. Gagne DL (LAD)
    DL A. Benítez DL (SF)

Top 15 FA hitters in my league (as of 6/21/05):
    A. Jones (Atl)
    R. Sanders (StL)
    C. Floyd (NYM)
    Lu. González (Ari)
    M. Ensberg (Hou)
    J. Burnitz (ChC)
    J. Bay (Pit)
    H. Matsui (NYY)
    B. Clark (Mil)
    F. López (Cin - 2B,3B,SS)
    N. Johnson (Was)
    J. Guillén (Was)
    K. Griffey Jr. (Cin)
    K. Mench (Tex)
    S. Hillenbrand (Tor - 1B,3B)

Top 15 FA pitchers in my league (as of 6/21/05):
    S. Shields (LAA)
    M. Morris (StL)
    J. Bonderman (Det)
    A. Eaton (SD)
    C. Lee (Cle)
    B. Webb (Ari)
    C. Politte (CWS)
    D. Turnbow (Mil - SP,RP)
    C. Young (Tex)
    C. Capuano (Mil)
    J. Crain (Min)
    D. Davis (Mil)
    D. Hermanson (CWS - SP,RP)
    T. Jones (Fla)
    B. Wickman (Cle)
rudeswings Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottysilbs12 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:05 am

trade figgins and one of ur bench guys for a better SS... Also maybe trade roberts or soriano to someone who needs a 2b. I would also pick up bonderman...

Please reply to mine
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=141236
scottysilbs12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BTOWNHESS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:03 pm

OK YOU GOT A LOT OF ROOM TO WORK HERE...LISTEN UP AND YOULL BE IN FIRST PLACE BY THE MIDDLE OF JULY.

IMEDIATELY DROP BURNETT FOR MATT MORRIS.

DROP HELTON PICK UP MATSUI (IF AVAILABLE) IF NOT PICK UP ANDRUW JONES.

IF YOU LOOK AT THE FIRST PLACE GUY HIS PITCHING ROTATION IS STACKED WITH STARTERS, HE ONLY HAS 2 CLOSERS. YOU NEED TO DO THE SAME...TRADE A COUPLE OF YOUR CLOSERS FOR ONE VERY GOOD STARTER...THEN YOULL HAVE AN OPEN ROSTER SPOT.

PICK UP BONDERMAN WITH YOUR OPEN ROSTER SPOT..

GOOD LUCK.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rudeswings » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:06 pm

BTOWNHESS wrote:IMEDIATELY DROP BURNETT FOR MATT MORRIS.

IF YOU LOOK AT THE FIRST PLACE GUY HIS PITCHING ROTATION IS STACKED WITH STARTERS, HE ONLY HAS 2 CLOSERS. YOU NEED TO DO THE SAME...TRADE A COUPLE OF YOUR CLOSERS FOR ONE VERY GOOD STARTER...THEN YOULL HAVE AN OPEN ROSTER SPOT.

GOOD LUCK.

Thanks. I took your advice and switched out Burnett for Morris. I also dropped Joe Nathan for Scot Shields before your reply. So which RP do you suppose I should trade out? I really wanna keep Cordero, but what do you think?

Also, I made an offer of a Brian Roberts/Jim Edmonds package for Johan Santana. I don't think he'll bite. Do you think it's worth it to add an RP to the package to try and sweeten the deal?

VIVA LE PONCHOS roster (as of 6/22/05):
    C J. Posada (NYY)
    1B P. Konerko (CWS)
    2B A. Soriano (Tex)
    3B D. Wright (NYM)
    OF C. Lee (Mil)
    OF C. Crawford (TB)
    OF V. Guerrero (LAA)
    Util J. Damon (Bos)
    BN B. Roberts (Bal)
    BN T. Helton (Col)
    BN J. Edmonds (StL)

SP M. Morris (Stl)
    SP J. Garland (CWS)
    RP B. Ryan (Bal)
    RP B. Lidge (Hou)
    P C. Cordero (Was)
    P M. Buehrle (CWS)
    P S. Shields (LAA)
    BN R. Oswalt (Hou)
    BN D. Willis (Fla)
    DL E. BedardDL (Bal)
rudeswings Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DRB » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:30 pm

The thing I find in smaller leagues especially those with say 4 to 5 players hot streaks are going to be a huge factor in the rise and fall of your team. You'll notice trends. You dominated the first month of the season by largely riding Brian Roberts, etc. Since then your opponent has come back riding A-rod, D Lee, and Ortiz.

In a 5 team league everyone has a good team. It's usually the guy who has the most consistent players on the better Offensive teams that wins here. He's the one who has the most opportunities to pile up the Offensive stats. That being said looking at your two teams (yourself and the first place team) besides the fact he has Arod, Ortiz, and D Lee I'd still take your Offense over his any day of the week.

I really believe at years end you'll be on top. Your OF is just that much better than his. I mean Encarnacion? lol I'm not sure he belongs on a roster in a 5 team league. I also think it was a huge mistake to drop Nathan and Burnett. In all league formats these two guys warrant being on a team and they both have Trade value. Especially Nathan. Top tier closers are hard to find and he certainly is one of those. You definitely could have gotten a player for the two of them.

I would probably stand pat on your team with the exception of trading Roberts to someone for probably another starter. Do not trade him to the guy in 1st place as his weak point is Biggio and you want to keep him weak there. :-D
DRB
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby rudeswings » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:41 pm

DRB wrote: I also think it was a huge mistake to drop Nathan and Burnett. In all league formats these two guys warrant being on a team and they both have Trade value. Especially Nathan. Top tier closers are hard to find and he certainly is one of those. You definitely could have gotten a player for the two of them.

I definitely appreciate your experienced advice. I need sound stuff like that. I'm so new to fantasy and also MLB in general, sometimes I don't know how to put it all together. Knowing my league, I doubt anyone will pick up Nathan or Burnett in the near future, which means I can pick them right back up after the wait period.

The other managers in my league seem to operate predominantly on the Yahoo rankings (except for maybe the first place guy). So it woulda been difficult for me to move Nathan or Burnett for anyone at the moment.

I dropped them because they've just been stinking it up for me lately, 'specially Nathan.

So I was wondering if you really think that either Nathan or Burnett will pick it up enough for me to make a difference by the end of the regular season?

Also, I made an offer for Johan Santana by packaging Brian Roberts, Jim Edmonds, and BJ Ryan. What do you think?? Should I cancel it?

Thanks again!!
rudeswings Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DRB » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:47 pm

Yeah I'd cancel it. I think that's too much for Johan. People get all fascinated with the name Johan. As soon as they see him available they are mortgaging thier homes, trading all thier players and throwing in the shirt of thier backs as well.

Yes he's a dominate starter. Do I think he's worth all that you offered? Nope. He's still only 1 guy. 1 SP can only affect your team that much. I think the offer of Brob + Edmonds was fair. If he doesn't like it. Negotiate. See what he wants. Don't go much higher then your offer though. If you have to you can add a closer as long as he adds something back. Personally I'd trade Lidge before I traded Ryan because Ryan will get more save opps playing for Baltimore. If you did add a RP then you could pick up Nathan if as you say no one else grabs him.

Trading is fun and it's healthy for a league because it keeps it active and interesting. The active leagues are always the most fun. Stay active and keep trying to improve your team. You are on the right track. ;-D
DRB
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rudeswings » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:51 pm

DRB wrote:Yeah I'd cancel it. I think that's too much for Johan. People get all fascinated with the name Johan. As soon as they see him available they are mortgaging thier homes, trading all thier players and throwing in the shirt of thier backs as well.

Yes he's a dominate starter. Do I think he's worth all that you offered? Nope. He's still only 1 guy. 1 SP can only affect your team that much. I think the offer of Brob + Edmonds was fair. If he doesn't like it. Negotiate. See what he wants. Don't go much higher then your offer though. If you have to you can add a closer as long as he adds something back. Personally I'd trade Lidge before I traded Ryan because Ryan will get more save opps playing for Baltimore. If you did add a RP then you could pick up Nathan if as you say no one else grabs him.

Trading is fun and it's healthy for a league because it keeps it active and interesting. The active leagues are always the most fun. Stay active and keep trying to improve your team. You are on the right track. ;-D

Man, once again, Thanks a ton. I really appreciate it so much!! He also has Halladay. Do you think I should look at Halladay over Santana, or is Johan really all he's cracked up to be?
rudeswings Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DRB » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:56 pm

Johan is everything is all he is cracked up to be. But no pitcher is worth what you offered. And people give too much to the name value of certain players. Another good one is Jeter. His name brings him more value then his actual worth as a shortstop suggests.

Halladay is a great target. Pretty much for two reasons. One because he's pitching like a Cy Young candidate. And two because you can get him cheaper then Johan. ;-D
DRB
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BTOWNHESS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:09 pm

rudeswings wrote:
BTOWNHESS wrote:IMEDIATELY DROP BURNETT FOR MATT MORRIS.

GOOD LUCK.

Thanks. I took your advice and switched out Burnett for Morris. I also dropped Joe Nathan for Scot Shields before your reply. So which RP do you suppose I should trade out? I really wanna keep Cordero, but what do you think?

Also, I made an offer of a Brian Roberts/Jim Edmonds package for Johan Santana. I don't think he'll bite. Do you think it's worth it to add an RP to the package to try and sweeten the deal?

VIVA LE PONCHOS roster (as of 6/22/05):
    C J. Posada (NYY)
    1B P. Konerko (CWS)
    2B A. Soriano (Tex)
    3B D. Wright (NYM)
    OF C. Lee (Mil)
    OF C. Crawford (TB)
    OF V. Guerrero (LAA)
    Util J. Damon (Bos)
    BN B. Roberts (Bal)
    BN T. Helton (Col)
    BN J. Edmonds (StL)

SP M. Morris (Stl)
    SP J. Garland (CWS)
    RP B. Ryan (Bal)
    RP B. Lidge (Hou)
    P C. Cordero (Was)
    P M. Buehrle (CWS)
    P S. Shields (LAA)
    BN R. Oswalt (Hou)
    BN D. Willis (Fla)
    DL E. BedardDL (Bal)

IF I WERE YOU I WOULDNT EVEN CARRY SHIELDS BECAUSE HE'S NOT GONNA GET YOU SAVES, UNLESS YOU COUNT HOLDS IN YOUR LEAGUE HE HAS VERY LITTLE WORTH TO YOU ESPECIALLY WITH AS DEEP AS YOUR FA POOL IS. SO EITHER INCLUDE SHILEDS IN WITH ROBERTS AND EDMONDS FOR SANTANA OR DROP HIM FOR MORE SP.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team