Its official - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Its official

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby go_jays_go » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:04 pm

Whoa. Gagne owners, this may give you a scare. If you don't look at the date, it'll freak you out.

Luckily it's from last year. :-°
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Haha yeah, I opened the thread up without looking at the date and after the first few posts I was like....what the hell did I miss? :-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby speedy27 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:07 pm

go_jays_go wrote:Whoa. Gagne owners, this may give you a scare. If you don't look at the date, it'll freak you out.

I too was fooled and was about to hurriedly go pick up Brazoban!!!! Then I thought to myself, Baez will be #2 this season. I looked at the date and sure enough...got me! !+)
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:10 pm

Yeah, I got excited for a second because I have Baez on my team :,-(
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:21 pm

go_jays_go wrote:Whoa. Gagne owners, this may give you a scare. If you don't look at the date, it'll freak you out.

I was like, did I miss something? I'm sure glad I drafted Fuentes and Guardado...

Then I see the Brazoban name, huh? Baez is number2.

Then I see the date :-° :-o
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Webster11 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:31 pm

speedy27 wrote:

I too was fooled and was about to hurriedly go pick up Brazoban!!!! Then I thought to myself, Baez will be #2 this season. I looked at the date and sure enough...got me! !+)
\

I did the same exact thing :-o :-b
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:36 pm

SominaDei wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
noseeum wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
Box wrote:
Jagfan21 wrote:*and out for the season

*And possibly next season if he needs TJ.

That's not true... it might be with Gagne because he already had surgery on that elbow, on that ligament... but Tommy John surgery has pretty much been perfected. They say a lot of guys come back stronger after TJ surgery than when they first started. The days where this injury and surgery end careers and cost multiple seasons have been gone for some time.

It is true. You're right it's not a career ender, but is still take about 18 months before you're able to pitch again. He's out for most, if not all, of next season.

In 1976 Tommy John himself took 18 months to recover. It takes about a year to recover from Tommy John surgery now, we'll see him back around this time next year.

The fact that the operation has been perfected has nothing to do with the recovery time. The human body hasn't changed that much since 1976. Recovery for an athlete is anywhere form 12-24 months. 18 months seems to be the norm. It is very unlikely that Gagne pitches substantially next year and a return prior to the '06 AS break is highly unlikely. And no I'm not a doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Bump.

Thanks for trying, though. ;-D Back sooner than I thought... but no where near your alarmist claims of 12-24 months. I waited quietly after that smug post for my claims to be vindicated... and here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260308119

Hey, knucklehead, you might want to get your facts straight before running your mouth. When we initially had this conversation it was concerning Gagne's TJ surgery. You know what? He didn't need TJ surgery.

KFFL wrote:The Associated Press reports Los Angeles Dodgers CL Eric Gagne (elbow) didn't need Tommy John surgery after all. Gagne had surgery on his right elbow and the doctors found less damage than expected. The doctors found a slight amount of fraying from the original graft that was sutured when Gagne underwent Tommy John surgery in 1997. There also were a couple of nerves that had scarred down onto the graft, which was causing Gagne considerable discomfort. So the doctors did a little shaving in the area, which relieved the pressure those nerves were placing on the graft, and sutured a couple of spots. The ligament didn't need to be replaced. He'll still miss the rest of the year, but he'll be out six months instead of 12-14 months and will be ready for spring training next year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:30 am

*Zing* for Amazinz! :-)

You need to post more, I miss the clever humor :-D .

On a side note, the topic made me happy because I have Brazoban in dynasty, guess his value stays the same... :-/

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:35 am

OMG, OMG, OMG... I hate you sooooooooooooo much...

:-P !+) :~( ...... !+) :-D
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:39 am

Amazinz wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
noseeum wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
Box wrote:
Jagfan21 wrote:*and out for the season

*And possibly next season if he needs TJ.

That's not true... it might be with Gagne because he already had surgery on that elbow, on that ligament... but Tommy John surgery has pretty much been perfected. They say a lot of guys come back stronger after TJ surgery than when they first started. The days where this injury and surgery end careers and cost multiple seasons have been gone for some time.

It is true. You're right it's not a career ender, but is still take about 18 months before you're able to pitch again. He's out for most, if not all, of next season.

In 1976 Tommy John himself took 18 months to recover. It takes about a year to recover from Tommy John surgery now, we'll see him back around this time next year.

The fact that the operation has been perfected has nothing to do with the recovery time. The human body hasn't changed that much since 1976. Recovery for an athlete is anywhere form 12-24 months. 18 months seems to be the norm. It is very unlikely that Gagne pitches substantially next year and a return prior to the '06 AS break is highly unlikely. And no I'm not a doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Bump.

Thanks for trying, though. ;-D Back sooner than I thought... but no where near your alarmist claims of 12-24 months. I waited quietly after that smug post for my claims to be vindicated... and here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260308119

Hey, knucklehead, you might want to get your facts straight before running your mouth. When we initially had this conversation it was concerning Gagne's TJ surgery. You know what? He didn't need TJ surgery.

KFFL wrote:The Associated Press reports Los Angeles Dodgers CL Eric Gagne (elbow) didn't need Tommy John surgery after all. Gagne had surgery on his right elbow and the doctors found less damage than expected. The doctors found a slight amount of fraying from the original graft that was sutured when Gagne underwent Tommy John surgery in 1997. There also were a couple of nerves that had scarred down onto the graft, which was causing Gagne considerable discomfort. So the doctors did a little shaving in the area, which relieved the pressure those nerves were placing on the graft, and sutured a couple of spots. The ligament didn't need to be replaced. He'll still miss the rest of the year, but he'll be out six months instead of 12-14 months and will be ready for spring training next year.

Exactly. Recovery time for TJ is still right around 18 months, but Gagne didn't need TJ, so he's back early.

That pretty well sums it up. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers