Its official

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Its official

Postby Jagfan21 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:22 am

Eric Gagne is on the DL my 5th round pick :~(

i did manage brazoban how many saves do u think hell have

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jagfan21 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:22 am

*and out for the season

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Box » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:52 am

Jagfan21 wrote:*and out for the season

*And possibly next season if he needs TJ.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Octavian » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:23 am

Box wrote:

That's not true... it might be with Gagne because he already had surgery on that elbow, on that ligament... but Tommy John surgery has pretty much been perfected. They say a lot of guys come back stronger after TJ surgery than when they first started. The days where this injury and surgery end careers and cost multiple seasons have been gone for some time.
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:26 am

SominaDei wrote:
Box wrote:

That's not true... it might be with Gagne because he already had surgery on that elbow, on that ligament... but Tommy John surgery has pretty much been perfected. They say a lot of guys come back stronger after TJ surgery than when they first started. The days where this injury and surgery end careers and cost multiple seasons have been gone for some time.

It is true. You're right it's not a career ender, but is still take about 18 months before you're able to pitch again. He's out for most, if not all, of next season.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby toofunnyy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:47 pm

He never said career, he said next season. Which is fairly accurate.

BEST care is all-star break 06. But could easily be all of 06 if they don't like how he's coming along.
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Octavian » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:05 pm

noseeum wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
Box wrote:

It is true. You're right it's not a career ender, but is still take about 18 months before you're able to pitch again. He's out for most, if not all, of next season.

In 1976 Tommy John himself took 18 months to recover. It takes about a year to recover from Tommy John surgery now, we'll see him back around this time next year.
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:47 pm

SominaDei wrote:
noseeum wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
Box wrote:

In 1976 Tommy John himself took 18 months to recover. It takes about a year to recover from Tommy John surgery now, we'll see him back around this time next year.

The fact that the operation has been perfected has nothing to do with the recovery time. The human body hasn't changed that much since 1976. Recovery for an athlete is anywhere form 12-24 months. 18 months seems to be the norm. It is very unlikely that Gagne pitches substantially next year and a return prior to the '06 AS break is highly unlikely. And no I'm not a doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:57 pm

And no I'm not a doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

heh :-D that was a good commercial, and you used it well. ;-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Octavian » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:53 pm

Amazinz wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
noseeum wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
Box wrote:

The fact that the operation has been perfected has nothing to do with the recovery time. The human body hasn't changed that much since 1976. Recovery for an athlete is anywhere form 12-24 months. 18 months seems to be the norm. It is very unlikely that Gagne pitches substantially next year and a return prior to the '06 AS break is highly unlikely. And no I'm not a doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Bump.

Thanks for trying, though. ;-D Back sooner than I thought... but no where near your alarmist claims of 12-24 months. I waited quietly after that smug post for my claims to be vindicated... and here it is:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260308119
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers