Verlander impressive in AA debut - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Verlander impressive in AA debut

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Verlander impressive in AA debut

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:24 pm

Verlander was very impressive in his AA debut tonight. He struck out the first 7 batters he faced and 8 of the first 9 batters. He ended the night with 11 K's in 7 innings work while only allowing 1 hit and 1 walk. He touched 99 mph on the gun at times tonight. Things defintely look bright for the future of Tigers pitching between Verlander and Zumaya.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:07 am

So nice to keep hearing great things about a Tiger draft pick! I would love to see the Tigers bring him up the next time they need a fifth starter.
If his heater it touching 99, let's see how the big leaguers can handle his stuff. If they rough him up, he can learn that he needs to work on his pitching, and if they can't hit him... :-D
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:06 am

Nothing surprising here. I've been keeping track of him all year, and this is just another start for him. No matter how dominant he is, I expect he'll finish out the year in AA and get shut down when the AA season is over. I know they'll be tempted to give him a look in September, but given the history of their past pitching prospects' health (Cornejo, Baugh, etc), it's best to play it safe. They showed great patience just keeping him in High A ball as long as he did. He was done proving himself there long ago.

Although for 2006, I would assume he won't be held back from the big leagues if he shows any signs of being ready, which isn't far at all from where he is now. Could be a crowded rotation next year assuming we keep the current 4, plus Ledezma improves, Douglass and Baugh show they at least can hang as back of the rotation guys, and Verlander challenges. I don't include Zumaya just yet, because his control still needs work, so AAA is probably in his future for next year.

By the way, I've heard small rumors that if the Tigers find a player available via trade that they like who would be more than a rental, that Zumaya might just be available. Of course the rumors say it has to be just the right player.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:32 pm

Nothing new here, Verlander impressive again in 2nd AA start.

7 IP 4 hits 0 ER 2 BB 7 K's
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:13 am

He still has yet to pitch at home (Erie is a very, very good hitter's park), but if they can't touch him, that won't be a problem will it? Should have had a win, but the closer got crushed wthout ever getting an out.

It's exciting having a prospect of this caliber for a change.

Also, it should be interesting to see what they do with Verlander's teammates now that Giarratanno has been sent back down to AA. 2 MI spots for 3 guys (Tousa, Francia, and Giarratanno). The up and coming Scott Tousa certainly isn't going to sit and Francia played very well in Lakeland, but has been a little slower to come around in his short time in AA than Tousa. Toledo could use a SS soon, where anyone they've been plugging in at SS plays pretty bad, which has mostly been Gookie Dawkins.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers