Bonderman hits 99mph - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonderman hits 99mph

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:20 pm

I really question the accuracy of velocity readings on those devices. To get the most accurate measurement you need to video the flight of the ball from the side and use slow motion video analysis to calculate the velocity.

The velocity of a pitch changes throughout its flight.....so which velocity does the gun record? The average? Peak? Before the plate?? Does anyone know?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:24 pm

There are 2 types guns. The so-called "fast" gun is supposed to measure the speed out of the pitcher's hand. The other gun registers the speed half way between the mound and the plate.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:26 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:There are 2 types guns. The so-called "fast" gun is supposed to measure the speed out of the pitcher's hand. The other gun registers the speed half way between the mound and the plate.

How does it differentiate between the velocity of the ball and the velocity of the arm?

And I also find it difficult to understand how it can register a reading half way to the plate, considering the guns are usually setup at varying distances back from home plate.

I'm not saying your wrong Yanks04, I believe that you are right. I just question the accuracy of these things...
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:31 pm

I have no idea what the tolerance of the instrument is. And like any instrument, if not properly setup or calibrated I am suret he readings would lose accuracy even more.

The science behind them is the same as that in detecting an airplane in motion. The time it takes for a radio wave to bounce back to the receiver is used to calcualte the distance and using multiple points and multiple readings over time you can calculate velocity.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jagfan21 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:44 am

RynMan wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:I doubt it. I know he generally sits between 92-95 mph so 99 mph does seem a stretch. I'd say he could maybe touch 97 at best.

I dunno, he consistently hits 97mph in MVP Baseball 2005.... ;-7
lol and how slow is greinkes curve?

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:55 am

RynMan wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:There are 2 types guns. The so-called "fast" gun is supposed to measure the speed out of the pitcher's hand. The other gun registers the speed half way between the mound and the plate.

How does it differentiate between the velocity of the ball and the velocity of the arm?

And I also find it difficult to understand how it can register a reading half way to the plate, considering the guns are usually setup at varying distances back from home plate.

I'm not saying your wrong Yanks04, I believe that you are right. I just question the accuracy of these things...

Which is exactly why cops use other types of speed guns now, and why I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over unless they were going AT LEAST 10 mph over the speed limit (and usually 15) - it is too easy to show the inaccuracies in these things should they ever be challenged in court.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:39 pm

While that may be a part of it, the reason cops do not write tickets for guys going less than 10 mph over the limit is simple...$$$$. The big fines are usually for > 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit. Speeding tickets are about making money, not about public safety.

No cop is going to waste his time pulling someone over for 5 mph over the limit as it is not only potentilally challengeable in court, but it is simply not nearly as profitable as getting the guy going 75 in a 55 on the highway.

And as to accuracy, as they say innoncent until proven guilty except wrt to traffic tickets where Napoleonic law applies in most states. Most times, when people get out of a moving violation by challenging it in court they plead to a lesser, non-moving violation that probably has nearly the same fine but does not put points on the license or affect insurance rates....I.e, the accuracy of the gun is really not going to be a major factor regardless, although it could be in some cases where you can prove that the cop did not handle the instrument properly, etc.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MikeD22 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:33 pm

Yanks04 said it, 10mph over or it's a waste of their time.

$$$$ > public safety

also, a lot of times when a motorcycle goes flying by doing 90-100, they don't even bother, too much work and dangerous for them.
MikeD22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 pm

Funny how this thread has gone from Bonderman to speeding. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers