Gagne needs Tommy John - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne needs Tommy John

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:00 pm

nuggets wrote:
thehat wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Great. Outstanding player management by the Dodgers. Let your stud closer come back early from a knee injury so he throws his elbow into a 2nd Tommy John surgery.

:-P

Gagne wasn't ready to come back, and the Dodgers should have sat his fat a** on the DL where it belonged. Un-friggin-believable. There goes any shot at the playoffs.

:-P :-P :-P

I'm curious as to where you received your medical training. It must be an outstanding school, as you clearly know far more about this stuff than do the Dodger medical people.

If anyone buys into that BS bit ESPN did on the Dodger's management being solely responsible for Gagne's injury and now the Dodgers inability to win the division - Make sure you can get a full refund, what crap! That whole piece was irresponsible. Anyone else see it yet?

There was an ESPN piece of this? I'm just going as a Dodgers fan who watched Gagne pitch during ST. He chanced his delivery because of the knee problem that he had. When you change a delivery, it puts more stress on the arm and elbow.

Now, I'm not positive that there's any correllation between the altered delivery and Gagne's current elbow problems, but it certainly didn't help the cause. Gagne was unable to plant off of his knee, and as a result, he had to throw from his arm. What absorbs most of the shock when a pitcher does this? That's right, his elbow. Now where does he have ligament damage? That's right, his elbow. Coincidence? I'm not so sure...

The fact of the matter is that you don't rush a guy back from the DL who has a history of elbow and ligament problems, especially someone as valuable as Eric Gagne. I don't care how competitive he is, and how popular he is. He's a multi-million dollar investment, first and foremost, and it's the organization's responsibility to protect that investment for the future.

Did the Dodgers cause a 2nd Tommy John? I'm not sure, but they definitely should have been more careful with that knee rehab. I'm no doctor, but it seems to me that you don't put a guy out there who has to change his delivery to pitch without pain...

:-t
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:38 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
nuggets wrote:
thehat wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:Great. Outstanding player management by the Dodgers. Let your stud closer come back early from a knee injury so he throws his elbow into a 2nd Tommy John surgery.

:-P

Gagne wasn't ready to come back, and the Dodgers should have sat his fat a** on the DL where it belonged. Un-friggin-believable. There goes any shot at the playoffs.

:-P :-P :-P

I'm curious as to where you received your medical training. It must be an outstanding school, as you clearly know far more about this stuff than do the Dodger medical people.

If anyone buys into that BS bit ESPN did on the Dodger's management being solely responsible for Gagne's injury and now the Dodgers inability to win the division - Make sure you can get a full refund, what crap! That whole piece was irresponsible. Anyone else see it yet?

There was an ESPN piece of this? I'm just going as a Dodgers fan who watched Gagne pitch during ST. He chanced his delivery because of the knee problem that he had. When you change a delivery, it puts more stress on the arm and elbow.

Now, I'm not positive that there's any correllation between the altered delivery and Gagne's current elbow problems, but it certainly didn't help the cause. Gagne was unable to plant off of his knee, and as a result, he had to throw from his arm. What absorbs most of the shock when a pitcher does this? That's right, his elbow. Now where does he have ligament damage? That's right, his elbow. Coincidence? I'm not so sure...

The fact of the matter is that you don't rush a guy back from the DL who has a history of elbow and ligament problems, especially someone as valuable as Eric Gagne. I don't care how competitive he is, and how popular he is. He's a multi-million dollar investment, first and foremost, and it's the organization's responsibility to protect that investment for the future.

Did the Dodgers cause a 2nd Tommy John? I'm not sure, but they definitely should have been more careful with that knee rehab. I'm no doctor, but it seems to me that you don't put a guy out there who has to change his delivery to pitch without pain...

:-t

I think the Dodgers brass maintained that Gagne DID NOT change his delivery due to the injured knee. That's what was saide when he first injured his elbow.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:43 pm

But he did! Anybody who watched him in ST could see that he did.

They might not have TOLD him to do it, and they might have told him to change it back...but he changed his delivery, that's for sure.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:27 pm

More fallout from the Gagne injury that I hadn't thought about.. this doesn't concern me as much as his loss to my fantasy team, but still sucks all the same.. :-/ :-[ big drop-off from Gagne to Dumpster..

Gagne is gonzo

Team Canada loses closer
By MIKE ZEISBERGER -- Toronto Sun

Wearing those trademark goggles, Eric Gagne was going to be the face of Team Canada's bullpen next spring.

Gagne, a native of Miscouche, Que., was being counted on to fill the role as Canada's closer during the World Classic of baseball in March.

Now, he is likely gone, leaving a gaping hole.

Maybe the Chicago Cubs' Ryan Dempster, a native of Gibson's, B.C., can step in. Or perhaps Calgary's Chris Reitsma of the Atlanta Braves can do the job. Both are being considered by Team Canada brass.

Either way, replacing Gagne, the 2003 Cy Young winner, will be a tall order for Baseball Canada, an organization that already must deal with adversity even before it has announced an official roster.

"That's big," Baltimore Orioles starter Erik Bedard, the Navan, Ont., native who likely will be in the Canadian rotation, said last night. "(Gagne) is probably the best player on the team. You know the game is over when he comes in."

The Los Angeles Dodgers announced Tuesday that Gagne will undergo Tommy John surgery and has tossed his last pitch of the 2005 season. Dodgers manager Jim Tracy hopes to have Gagne back by the 2006 all-star break, but that is little consolation to Team Canada officials who were looking forward to having Gagne's saves and swagger in the mix.

"Things like this happen," director general of Baseball Canada Jim Baba said yesterday from his Ottawa office. "But we certainly would have liked to have Eric. He was an automatic for our team and it's a big blow to lose him.

"The trouble is we'll likely have to look at the triple-A or double-A level for another pitcher. We're not as deep as the U.S., where they can just pull out a list of another 45 guys from which to choose."

Gagne isn't the only Canadian pitcher to battle injury woes in the bigs this season.

Bedard, who is sidelined with a sprained medial collateral ligament in the left knee, hopes to be back after the all-star break next month.

Oakland's Rich Harden, a native of Victoria, B.C., missed six weeks with an oblique muscle injury before returning to beat the Seattle Mariners 4-2 Tuesday night.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:13 pm

So how long until we expect Gagne to pitch again? 1 year? 2?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:30 pm

I dont see him making it into a game till AT LEAST next June.....As far as being an effective pitcher(and im NOT even talking about being 'gagne like') until after the allstar break next year. Getting back to 'gagne like' form MAY very well NEVER happen again but at the very very least that wont happen till the very end of next season. My crystal ball says he comes back around the allstar break,starts pitching fairly well to okay the last couple of months and gets dealt at the trade deadline.....

Just my opinion,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:38 pm

:,-( :,-( :,-(

So much for Canada winning the World cup of Baseball
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:46 pm

I'm not gonna say that the Dodgers were wrong for bringing him back so early, nor am I going to claim that I know more about them pertaining to Gagne's health. But it is a pretty basic fundamental rule that when a pitcher is nursing an injury, it can contribute to injuries elsewhere because of the altered biomechanics occurring within the body.

I agree with BB, it seems a little too convenient for this to be a coincidence. I would say that it is simply that Gagne told the medical staff he was ready to go, even though he was only at 90%. The staff can only go by what he tells them.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers