Who said it? #1 (answered) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Trivia Time Trial

Who said it? #1 (answered)

Moderator: Baseball Trivia Mods

Who said it? #1 (answered)

Postby Arlo » Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:29 am

Who said...

"I would change policy, bring back natural grass and nickel beer. Baseball is the belly-button of our society. Straighten out baseball, and you straighten out the rest of the world."

"Most of the managers are lifetime .220 hitters. For years pitchers have been getting these managers out 75% of the time and that's why they don't like us."

"I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out."
Last edited by Arlo on Sun May 19, 2002 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:55 pm

I assume they're all from different people? Umm... wild stabs...

George Steinbrenner
Larry Bowa
Fergie Jenkins
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:02 pm

Whoops - sorry, I should have clarified: they're all from the same person. Great stabs, though! They all seem to fit perfectly. Now try bringing all that under one hat...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:32 pm

Aha! Well, that would have made sense. The only reason I thought they were different people was because #2 seems to be made by a hitter and #3 by a pitcher. Well, I already got 3 guesses for the price of 1, so I'll sit out before I try to stab again. :-> (edit: oh... I see... had to reread #2 a little more carefully... still don't know who it is though)
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

all-time favorite

Postby cwebb » Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:02 am

The all-time favorite for stupid quotes, John Rocker?
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:05 am

Nah, not enough discriminatory comments. But also from a guy as famous for his mouth as for his arm...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:08 pm

I got really frustrated with this one, since I was sure that it was someone I knew. I thought I could picture him. So I went and looked it up. I had a few guys in mind, but it turns out I never really heard of this guy before. (At least, the name didn't really ring any bells.)

Before I let fly with my ill-begotten knowledge (researching isn't really fair-play), a hint: it's not Mark Fidrych. 8) Okay, that's not a very good hint, but Fidrych was one of the guys I had in mind when I did the search. This guy *did*, however, play at the same time as Fidrych, and I think they faced off once or twice while this guy was with the Red Sox.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nkeitt » Sun May 12, 2002 8:39 pm

For some reason I want to guess Goose Gossage - there is a guy who I could imagine would bring back nickel beers! And that last quote sounds like it's from a closer.
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sun May 12, 2002 8:46 pm

Good guess, but no. Although he did have 19 career saves, this pitcher was primarily a starter. He was a contemporary of Gossage, though.

Here are a couple more of his words of wisdom:

"You have two hemispheres in your brain - a left and a right side. The left side controls the right side of your body and right controls the left half. It's a fact. Therefore, left-handers are the only people in their right minds."

"The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the sixties I tested everything."
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chuckr37 » Sun May 19, 2002 1:56 pm

Bill "Space Man" Lee?
chuckr37
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Trivia Time Trial