Hope springs eternal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Hope springs eternal

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Hope springs eternal

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:02 pm

If the Rays can be 5-2 against the Yankees, how much longer until the youth starts playing with more consistency that the Rays become a .500 ballclub?

It amazes me that this team can look so great one night and so putrid the next. Fossum impressed me last night.

I understand the inconsistencies of youth, but there are sparks here and there that seem to give a little hope if they would just get some type of plan and stick with it for the next couple of years.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:55 pm

Or . . . maybe not. Ugly performance tonight. Blowing a 10-2 lead and 13 in the 8th. Ugh.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:32 am

10-freaking2.......

as far as the rays future,,, they are still a few years away,,, but they do remind me a bit of the braves in the late 80s or so... farm system is very solid and part of the young players are already in the bigs just like glavine, smoltz were in the late 80's.... now hopefully we can pull a run like the braves did in the 90s and 00s ;-7 ;-7 ..... the braves finally became a team when they decided to sign bream and pendelton in 00...... now bream and pendelton provided great numbers but there number 1 aspect they proveded was leadership,,,,,,so maybe the rays can go out and sign a veteran slugger and pitcher next offseason,,as i think this offseason may be too early.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:46 pm

I'm thinking more like the Indians of the mid-90s or the Brewers of today - small revenue teams that had (or likely will have) a few years of glory. The Braves had Turner's money, which I doubt (hope I'm wrong) the Rays ever have.

That said, before the 2007 or 2008 season (in which I presume DY, Upton, Niemann and Townsend are ready), I'm hoping the Rays spend a few bucks on a veteran starter and a veteran whatever (1B, 3B, whatever they're missing on offense) ala the Braves when they signed Bream and Pendleton. Go with talented youth and a few decent contracts and see where you can go.

The Brewers have Sheets and Lee and Jenkins as their big contracts. But for 2006 they'll also have Fielder, Weeks and Hardy. In 2007 and 2008, I can see the Rays being in the same spot. Hopefully they'll at least spend a little to see where it gets them.

And now 6-3 against the Yanks. Nice.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:02 pm

3 out of 4 in NY. First series win there since 1999. Again, hope is there when you can take 7 out of 10 against the Yankees. Likely not 2006, but maybe 2007 - if they stick with their plan. One can only hope.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:33 am

i imagine if the rays ever take 7 out of 10 from the yanks, then the mods will have to semi ban me from the cafe for a little while.... but i do know a good friend of mine that for sure would never hear the end of it }:-) }:-) }:-)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:32 am

Based upon my defense of Lou from the other night, I might be there with you. :-)

Actually, it's hard to say much for me right now - 26-47 overall doesn't give me much room.

Again, all I can hope is that these are the little signs that mean 2007 and beyond might actually be fun.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:14 am

To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me how well we do this year. It would help the players' morale for sure, but I would not mind another high draft pick again. I personally I agree with Herm Edwards that it doesn't matter where you finish as long as you make the playoffs. A game out and the league cellar has no difference. However, like you, I would like to see some improvement from our team, so I'm wavering on this (the Suns did do a worst to first in the NBA this year...that would really be ideal).
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Tampa Bay Rays