I Like Dan Haren. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Like Dan Haren.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Like Dan Haren.

Postby Doughhead » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:27 pm

I had my eye on this guy at the beginning of the year, but he came out of the gate like a drunken sloth or sweaty skin down a slide. Now, I think he looks to be putting things together for a big second half surge!

What do you other cafre patrons think about this mystery wrapped in a riddle wrapped in an enigma?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I Like Dan Haren.

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:32 pm

Doughhead wrote:I had my eye on this guy at the beginning of the year, but he came out of the gate like a drunken sloth or sweaty skin down a slide. Now, I think he looks to be putting things together for a big second half surge!

What do you other cafre patrons think about this mystery wrapped in a riddle wrapped in an enigma?

My buddies out in the Bay Area ranted about this guy in the Pre-Season, prompting me to draft him in a late round. I was cursing them in April. Now it appears this is the Dan Haren they were ranting about in March. He's looked just real sharp, locating his pitches, winning 4 of his last 5 starts (No decision in the other), walking only 1 batter on average in that span, and not hurting himself with the long ball too badly. So long as those BBs stay down and runners aren't given that opportunity to run on Kendall, I think Haren is a safe bet in any league with 10 teams or more from here on in.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)

Postby Area51's » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:45 pm

I had been spot starting him; Jason Johnson, Lackey and a few others. Harens last 5-6 starts are pretty incredible, albeit against a few suspect teams. I am now picking him up for good, and riding him a bit. I have Beckett, Prior, OD. Perez (and already lost J. Thomson) so I am looking for healthy alternatives!

Good spot!
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby prodpaul » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:05 pm

I drafted him thinking he would have a break out year. Then I dropped him during his rough stretch and some one else in my league picked him up. As fate would have it though he was dropped again and I picked him back up and he was in my starting lineup last night thank goodness. ;-D

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm not sure what to make of him. His last 6 starts were very good for sure and seems like he is turning things around. He's vastly improved virtually everything from BB, K to HR in the last few weeks (although Swisher caught a ball over the fense last night).

If he keeps throwing strikes, I think he will be fine (as is always the case). I'll ride him as long as he pitches well but I do expect a blow up from time to time.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Doughhead » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:59 pm

If he keeps throwing strikes, I think he will be fine (as is always the case). I'll ride him as long as he pitches well but I do expect a blow up from time to time.[/quote]

Yeah, the odd blow-up is probably inevitable. But I think he's a good option against weaker teams (esp. ones that don't walk a whole lot.) I love him as a spot starter.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:59 pm

Was he the one sent over from the Cards in the Mulder deal? Cause if he was, he was lights out in the World Series. The Sox hitters could not even touch the kid! Just picked him up in my money league and hoping for big things!
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:12 pm

he is a young pitcher so some ups and downs should be expected. i would give him a little more leeway than some other guys because haren has the ability to get some k's.

Was he the one sent over from the Cards in the Mulder deal? Cause if he was, he was lights out in the World Series. The Sox hitters could not even touch the kid! Just picked him up in my money league and hoping for big things!

thats the guy. if you take out the abysmal performance in his first start in 2004 against the cubbies (called up on less that 24 hours notice) he was pretty good the whole year including some spot starts at the end. has good minor league numbers. i was looking forward to seeing him pitch for the cards for a long time but hopefully mulder will win some cy youngs and world series with the cards.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dice » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:15 pm

I don't like Dan Haren. I saw him live at his low point this season, when he was getting spanked by the Red Sox. He looked abysmal.

I've still picked him up recently. He had the best stats of anyone on the trash heap.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:20 pm

Dice wrote:I don't like Dan Haren. I saw him live at his low point this season, when he was getting spanked by the Red Sox. He looked abysmal.

I've still picked him up recently. He had the best stats of anyone on the trash heap.

I think come August/September, you'll be changing your tune. Pitchers tend to get spanked around by the Red Sox. Ask C.C. Sabathia how his rear end feels after that spanking last night.

Haren is the #3 Pitcher over the last 30 days on the ESPN Player Rater, behind Carpenter and Pedro. Good company to keep, and you don't just end up there by accident. Neither do numbers like his 0.91 WHIP and 22/5 K/BB Ratio, and .206 BAA for the month of June.

It's amazing how unforgiving guys are of slow starts around here. We tend to forget that when we pick players up, we only get their stats from that point forward; not ones already posted.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers