Team in 18 Team League is falling in Ranks, Help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Team in 18 Team League is falling in Ranks, Help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Team in 18 Team League is falling in Ranks, Help!

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:31 am

Over the past week my team has fallen from 3rd place to 5th place. This is my team in an 18 team Roto league, with basic 5x5 stats. This is a Non-Keeper league. Daily roster changes are used and only 1 DL spot is given.

My team and overall stats are below in bold and I also will post the 1st place teams info to give you an idea of what I'm up against.

C J. Kendall (Oak - C)
1B J. Thome (Phi - 1B)
2B J. Reyes (NYM - 2B,SS)
3B D. Wright (NYM - 3B)
SS P. Feliz (SF - 1B,3B,SS,LF)
LF M. Lawton (Pit - LF,RF)
CF R. Church (Was - LF,CF,RF)
RF B. Abreu (Phi - RF)
Util M. Ramírez (Bos - LF)
DL J. LópezDL (Bal - C)

SP M. Batista (Tor - SP,RP)
SP D. Turnbow (Mil - SP,RP)
RP H. Street (Oak - RP)
RP C. Cordero (Was - RP)
P R. HardenDL (Oak - SP)
BN Ol. Pérez (Pit - SP)
BN C. Young (Tex - SP)
BN B. Penny (LAD - SP)
BN C. Capuano (Mil - SP)
BN R. Halladay (Tor - SP)
BN B. Webb (Ari - SP)
DL T. HudsonDL (Atl - SP)

R = 293
HR = 63
RBI = 275
SB = 49
AVG = .259
W = 37
SV = 54
K = 422
ERA = 3.42
WHIP = 1.29

1st place team

C G. Zaun (Tor - C)
1B N. Johnson (Was - 1B)
2B A. Kennedy (LAA - 2B)
3B E. Hinske (Tor - 1B,3B)
SS J. Lugo (TB - 2B,SS)
LF P. Burrell (Phi - LF)
CF T. Hunter (Min - CF)
RF C. Everett (CWS - LF,RF)
Util G. Sizemore (Cle - CF)
BN M. Cuddyer (Min - 1B,2B,3B,RF)
BN C. Floyd (NYM - LF)
BN B. Crosby (Oak - SS)
BN M. Cameron (NYM - CF,RF)
DL M. BradleyDL (LAD - LF,CF,RF)

SP J. Garland (CWS - SP)
SP B. Myers (Phi - SP)
RP M. Rivera (NYY - RP)
RP R. Seánez (SD - RP)
P C. Reitsma (Atl - RP)
BN J. Westbrook (Cle - SP)
BN C. Silva (Min - SP)

R = 309
HR = 71
RBI = 296
SB = 46
AVG = .279
W = 46
SV = 23
K = 447
ERA = 3.20
WHIP = 1.18

His pitching staff is constantly changing, he uses the FA pool and uses whos hot. There is a Max Innings of 1300 so I think he's screwing himself in the long run.

The main stat that sticks out is Saves. I'm dominating that category. So I was thinking of moving one of my closers, Maybe Cordero for a Stud offensive player. I know Kendall is a bad fantasy catcher, but I'm under the impression that Javy will be back in a month or so, and that will help my team out in most the categories except SB.

What are your thoughts on my team?

Thanks guys, leave a link and Ill help you out
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DRB » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:08 pm

Hmm looking at your team I'm very impressed with it for an 18 team league! Well done.

I don't think you need to look at an OF. You have Abreu and Manny. Manny is going to turn it around for sure! You're correct in waiting on Javy. Kendalls' not great but in an 18 team league his value increases and he's serviceable until Javy gets back. Your weak points on your team in my opinion right now are.

1B - Jim Thome - Has good upside here and a proven track record. All he'll need is 1 good month and you'll rocket up the standings. BUT.... He's struggling this year and you might want to find a backup.

2B - Jose Reyes - Horrible OBP. Having a low OBP is a stat that hurts ALL other stats because it usually means your other cats are going to be lower as well RBI, R, AVG, SB, etc. Reyes has the tools to be great once he gets on base. He just has problems doing it. Try and find a solid backup. A perfect fit for you right now would be Chase Utley - 2B - PHI as he can serve as your backup for Thome and Reyes. He should be a player you covet.

SS - Feliz is a monster because of position eligibility. He's got more power then usual for a shortstop but I've got him on a few teams this year and I've noticed he's slowed down considerably since the start of year. He's also a player who tends to tire as the year continues. Use this to your advantage and trade him to an opponent for an upgrade here. Sell high on the position eligibility factor.

Your pitching is great. Halladay and Webb are rock solid. Your pitching is going to improve by leaps and bounds getting Harden back as you'll have a solid top 3 staff for an 18 team league with those 3 easily. You also have good options to back them up in C Young, Penny, and Capuano though he may be tiring. Of your 4 closers the one with the most trade value is Cordero but I wouldn't trade him. He also has the most value for YOUR team. I'd float les solid options Turnbow and Street before I shopped Cordero. If you are really set at getting another OF package Lawton + Batista or Turnbow and trade up.

Now your Opponents team. Want to know why he's ahead of you? Two words. Hot Start. There is no way at all his team finishes ahead of you in the standings at year end. Your offense is vastly superior as his is chock full of no-names and flash in the pan players. His entire offensive lineup could realistically have been pulled off of waivers at one point in time during the season. His OF of Burrell, Torii, Everett and Sizemore will have at least 2 if not 3 of those guys fade. Floyd is due for his annual injury. His INF is really bad with Nick Johnson being by far the best player in it. How many 1st place teams are going to have Nick Johnson be thier best offensive weapon this year?

You'll catch him easily over the next few weeks. Other then maybe getting a 2B or a 1B backup I'd stand close to the team you have. Yours is a lot better Offensively and your Pitching is better as well.

His pitching is the same as his offsene. Hot Starts from almost every guy. Garland is already fading into the sunset and only CWS bats are getting him wins now. But he's hurting your opponents ERA and WHIP. That's a good thing. Reitsma and Seanez aren't anything special. Reitsma probably doesn't finish the year as a closer and Seanez is only good for the occasional inning and vulture win if that. Myers is a tank and I look for him to continue his excellent season. Your Halladay, Webb, Harden combo offset Myers by a long margin though. Rivera is the best closer on both teams but it's his only solid option so no worries here. Westbrook is a question mark. Might be an offyear for him even if he does turn it around he won't turn it around to the point where he'll be much of a factor. Silva is a 4th or 5th starter on most teams. On this team he's a 3rd starter. On yours he's probably be a 6th.

Don't fret. Your team is in a good spot right now. Even without any changes you'll catch your opponent easily. I'd be more worried about the guys in 2nd and 3rd honestly.
DRB
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:01 pm

Thanks, that helps out a lot!

Here is the team where Utley plays for. This guy is right behind me in 6th place.

C D. Miller (Mil - C)
1B D. Lee (ChC - 1B)
2B C. Utley (Phi - 1B,2B)
3B Á. Rodríguez (NYY - 3B)
SS J. Rollins (Phi - SS)
LF G. Jenkins (Mil - LF,RF)
CF J. Edmonds (StL - CF)
RF S. Green (Ari - 1B,RF)
Util É. Rentería (Bos - SS)
BN T. Womack (NYY - 2B,LF)
BN J. DaVanon (LAA - LF,CF,RF)
BN J. Crede (CWS - 3B)

SP C. Lee (Cle - SP)
SP K. Wells (Pit - SP)
RP D. Kolb (Atl - RP)
RP T. Walker (SF - RP)
P M. González (Pit - RP)
BN S. Kazmir (TB - SP)
BN G. Chacín (Tor - SP,RP)
BN J. Lieber (Phi - SP)
DL O. DotelDL (Oak - RP)

I was thinking doing a multi player trade involving Utley and Rentería. I could probably get Rentería cheap right now. You think if I give Feliz and one of my SP that would be a fair trade.

something like

Give P. Feliz (SF - 1B,3B,SS,LF) and C. Capuano (Mil - SP)

and Get C. Utley (Phi - 1B,2B) and É. Rentería (Bos - SS)?

would that be asking too much?

thanks again!
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DRB » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:05 pm

That's probably asking too much. Capuano is unproven and probably won't hold much value. Renteria still has a lot of a value based on name alone which is pretty sad. I'd try to trade him Feliz straight up for Utley. If he doesn't go for it maybe add Penny or C Young and go for both. I think Young though equally as unproven as Capuano holds a little more value because of his K totals.

Another option would be Feliz + Turnbow for Renteria + Utley. This I could see being accepted because it addresses his need for a closer as well as your need for a backup at SS and 2B.
Last edited by DRB on Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRB
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:08 pm

ok ill try Feliz for Utley strait up.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:39 pm

the 1st place team just sent me an offer where i

give
D. Wright (NYM - 3B) and C. Cordero (Was - RP)

and get
M. Cameron (NYM - CF,RF), E. Hinske (Tor - 1B,3B) and J. Westbrook (Cle - SP)

Im going to reject that without waiting for a reply, the only players that interest me on his team are Myers, Johnson and Rivera.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DRB » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:11 pm

Good Idea he's trying to rip you off. Hinske holds no value really. Cameron is injured right now and has missed the past 7 games and Westbrook has been far too inconsistent this year to warrant giving up a top tier 3B in Wright and the current MLB saves leader in Cordero.

I wouldn't bother to trade with him. Go after the guys you need.
DRB
College Coach
College Coach

Street or Turnbow and Thome!!!!

Postby CitizensHellPark » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:29 am

Try to sell Thome an a 4th tier closer and get a stud 1b. Thome isnt hitting fastballs in or outside his wheelhouse. i watch every game and other than Lowell or Giambi{he is statistically better than Thome}, ive never seen such a problem{BACK?} cause a player to drop off so steeply. Use him to get either a 2b or 1b. Thome is not right, so sell his impending monsoon of homers and steal a better avg / hr guy from the cellar. TY for your opinion ;-D PS Did you know if it wasnt for the roid controversy{Giambi}, the biggest story other than Bonds would be Thome? Giambi is a better player right now tha Thome. If Thome wasnt such a nice guy the rumors would be a all about him and the lack of JUICE!

LOVE THIS GUY!!!!!
CitizensHellPark
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BravesGuy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:23 pm

Someone just dropped Mesa, should I add him to my team?

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jagfan21 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:18 am

yeah get a few saves before hes traded

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team