Which Closers/set up men wil be traded before the deadline? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which Closers/set up men wil be traded before the deadline?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby with_pleasure » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:14 pm

Philly won't.

That proposed BAL/SF trade with Julio et al for Schmidt is possible. I know the Red Sox were asking about Schmidt but are obviously pretty nervous about his health. I think they've gotta be worried about Baltimore pulling the trigger and winning the division as a result.

I could see Arizona trading for a closer if they're not sure about Brandon Lyon. The Dodgers, too. But that's really about it barring another injury, unless the Red Sox think Foulke's problems are real.

The buying market is tight.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dkakridas » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:25 pm

Jairo Garcia could possibly go to the Rockies or another team in need of a cheap/ project closer. Not a bad guy to have on your reserve list just in case. At worst, he could a valuable setup man for Street.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MikeD22 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:31 pm

Jairo Garcia was described as having better "stuff" than Huston Street. I believe the source I read this from was a Rotoworld article.

So, with a solid bullpen shaping up in Oakland, (Kiko, Duscherer and Street) Jairo could be traded and turn into a solid closer.
MikeD22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dkakridas » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:33 pm

yes, that is why he was brought up IMO, to be showcased to potential suitors. He does have electric stuff but has been wild in the majors in the past. If he can harness it, he could be a better version of Octavio Dotel. Same devastating fastball/ slider makeup.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:53 pm

The o's have a dilemma with Ryan a FA and Julio arb eligible at the end of the year. If Ryan's going to bolt, they might want to keep Julio around to close. If they lock Ryan up in a contract, then you might see Julio dealt, but without that, I think he'll stay put.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby dkakridas » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:56 pm

I think if they let Ryan bolt (something that is highly unlikely for a team on the verge of competing in the division for years) Chris Ray may be the reason why. He was recently promoted and by the end of the year could unseat Julio as the primary setup man. He is nasty and has put up great numbers. He is their closer of the future. I think Julio is their best trade bait and he has "blown" his chances for a long term stay in Baltimore.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:23 pm

It takes two to tango. It's not a question of the Orioles "letting" Ryan bolt, as whether or not he decides to test FA. If Ryan does not sign a contract AND the Orioles trade Julio, the Orioles options are:

1. Hope they can sign another FA or outbid other teams for Ryan

or

2. Go into 2006 relying on unproven Chris Ray or others.

If they cannot lock Ryan into a contract, my guess is they will hold on to Julio for insurance purposes alone. They have plenty of decent young arms.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Arlo » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:20 am

Gotta add Batista to this list. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess about his most likely destination, though, there are so many possibilities...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:05 am

Sp_Da_Man wrote:Here's part of some info from rotoworld.com

"Brazoban hasn't been very impressive since Eric Gagne first returned from the DL last month. If it turns out that Gagne needs surgery, there's a real chance the Dodgers will end up trading for a closer."

Wonder if LA is in the marlet for a closer. Any closer for LA would have some big value.

The dodgers would be better served leaving Braz in the closer role for now and trading for a big bat. Talk about your anemic offenses...
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers