Well my friends and I offended a Hooters waitress. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Well my friends and I offended a Hooters waitress.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:29 am

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:Art, I apologize if I am being insensitive, but I felt I had to comment on this thread. I do not feel that what was stated in this thread or on the others threads you referenced was demeaning enough to merit such a harsh criticism on your part. What you claim are "mysogynistic" comments are statements that are taken tongue-in-cheek and are merely said for humorous purposes. This form of humor is prevalent in our society, and can be found in tv shows, magazines, and even in daily conversation. And believe it or not, but women also make similar comments about men. It is just playful banter. Ask any female you encounter what aspects of male behavior they joke about and you will find that these jokes are very similar to those found on these boards. If we had more female members, you probably may have seen some sort of reply to this thread such as:

"All men are a**holes" or
"God gave man a brain and a penis. Unfortunately he did not give him enough blood supply to work both at the same time"

I have heard women say these comments and I have not flipped out over their use of unfair stereotypes. Now, if you feel that these sort of comments are so outlandish that they should be stricken from all aspects of our society, then I am sorry to tell you that you are in a very small minority. Both females and males constantly make comments such as these, and neither is deeply offended. If I brought a woman to read any of these threads, if am 100% confident she would not be enraged by what she found.

Art, there are many injustices occuring in the world today to which the comments made on these boards do not compare. You can even go search other sites on the internet and find much more offensive material than "If she's hot, let it slide, if she's not, get her fired." Come on, get a sense of humor. Realize that most of us come to this board for entertainment purposes. We do not condone racism, sexism, or any other kind or offensive material. If anything, the moderators here do an excellent job in eliminating offensive material from these boards. I feel that you are being overly critical and that if you are truly offended by the comments made here, then you are out of touch with American culture. You should me more offended that a place like hooters exists, than be offended over these comments.


Well said ;-D
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1490
Joined: 4 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: heckling JD Drew

Postby Mets4Life » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:45 am

Anyway, it isnt like a woman would read this...she has too much work in the kitchen to go online ;-D
Image
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 518
Joined: 28 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:16 am

I have done some soul searching and came to a conclusion. I have Art to thank for this.

In order to make this forum more fair and even, I have decided to try and get a gathering of followers to join me in creating the "All Bad Boy" thread. This is in order to create an equal balance of men and women on this page. Each person will pick an athlete who they expect to run into problems in their upcoming seasons.

This is how the scoring will work and people can add their scoring preferences if they so desire.

+ 1 for an ejection
+ 2 for creating a brawl or fight
+ 1 for making statements about gays/religion/women
+ 5 fpr getting suspended 1-5 games
+ 7 for getting suspended 6-9 games
+ 10 for a 10+ game suspension
+ 20 for a yearlong suspension
+ 3 for dropping the "S" or "F" bomb in an interview
+ 5 for messing with photo equipment
+ 10 for drug offenses
+ 6 for kids out of wedlock
+ 6 for failure to pay child support
+ 1 for every single woman you have a child with

I will let Art make the first pick! ;-D
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:36 am

Phatferd wrote:I have done some soul searching and came to a conclusion. I have Art to thank for this.

In order to make this forum more fair and even, I have decided to try and get a gathering of followers to join me in creating the "All Bad Boy" thread. This is in order to create an equal balance of men and women on this page. Each person will pick an athlete who they expect to run into problems in their upcoming seasons.

This is how the scoring will work and people can add their scoring preferences if they so desire.

+ 1 for an ejection
+ 2 for creating a brawl or fight
+ 1 for making statements about gays/religion/women
+ 5 fpr getting suspended 1-5 games
+ 7 for getting suspended 6-9 games
+ 10 for a 10+ game suspension
+ 20 for a yearlong suspension
+ 3 for dropping the "S" or "F" bomb in an interview
+ 5 for messing with photo equipment
+ 10 for drug offenses
+ 6 for kids out of wedlock
+ 6 for failure to pay child support
+ 1 for every single woman you have a child with

I will let Art make the first pick! ;-D


Not a bad idea. Lou Pinella and Chipper Jones I would suspect would be top picks.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1490
Joined: 4 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: heckling JD Drew

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:39 am

I would have to think that Kevin Brown would be an obvious first rounder.

If you did a Historic type league, I am pretty sure that Steve Garvey qualifies for the HOF. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 687)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:01 am

wrveres wrote:I would have to think that Kevin Brown would be an obvious first rounder.

If you did a Historic type league, I am pretty sure that Steve Garvey qualifies for the HOF. :-o


lol, I met Steve Garvey at a charity event and lemme say his daughter is gorgeous. My friend got her number.

It's not just for baseball its all of sports. I would take Ron Artest with the first pick and pick up my trophy on my way out of the draft.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:55 am

Phatferd wrote:
wrveres wrote:I would have to think that Kevin Brown would be an obvious first rounder.

If you did a Historic type league, I am pretty sure that Steve Garvey qualifies for the HOF. :-o


lol, I met Steve Garvey at a charity event and lemme say his daughter is gorgeous. My friend got her number.

It's not just for baseball its all of sports. I would take Ron Artest with the first pick and pick up my trophy on my way out of the draft.


lol ..
Rumor is, about 1% of the women in San Diego can lay claim to being Steve Garveys daughter. :-]
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 687)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:02 am

Madison wrote:Take this thread for example. You don't like it that some people joked about if she's hot, let her slide, but if she's ugly, then get her fired. How exactly is that a misogynistic comment?


Madison...you said a lot in your last post that I would like to address, unfortunately I'm at work right now so I don't have the time...but I would like to answer this question:

The reason that the statement "If she's hot, let her slide, but if she's ugly then get her fired" is misogynistic is because it focuses a woman's worth on her looks. To say that attractive women are more deserving of a warning in this situation than an unattractive woman would be demeans all women because, again, it focuses a woman's worth on her looks alone.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm really not trying to ruin anyone's fun here (and I do realize that, for the most part, the comments that I am talking about are said in jest). I have never said, that people should not be allowed to say what they are saying, or even that they shouldn't say it...just that it is disheartening to me.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:00 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:Take this thread for example. You don't like it that some people joked about if she's hot, let her slide, but if she's ugly, then get her fired. How exactly is that a misogynistic comment?


Madison...you said a lot in your last post that I would like to address, unfortunately I'm at work right now so I don't have the time...but I would like to answer this question:

The reason that the statement "If she's hot, let her slide, but if she's ugly then get her fired" is misogynistic is because it focuses a woman's worth on her looks. To say that attractive women are more deserving of a warning in this situation than an unattractive woman would be demeans all women because, again, it focuses a woman's worth on her looks alone.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm really not trying to ruin anyone's fun here (and I do realize that, for the most part, the comments that I am talking about are said in jest). I have never said, that people should not be allowed to say what they are saying, or even that they shouldn't say it...just that it is disheartening to me.


Art.......Since you keep referencing that quote and since I was the 1 who said it, I gotta respond. There are emoticons here. I was joking:

Lofunzo wrote:If she's hot, say nothing. If she has butterface, maybe talk to the manager. :-b


If you are concerned with the exploitation of females, I would start at Hooters themselves. These companies are the ones that only hire "hot" chicks and dress them up in skimpy outfits. I must also say that these girls are also the ones that don't seem to have a problem with it because they continue to seek employment there. If only 200+ lb. girls applied to work there, Hooters would have a choice to make. They could close down or they could hire those girls. Somewhere along the way, that hasn't happened. It's a 2-way street. :-?

In all seriousness, I think that unless she was touched physically, she was out of line. If any patron is being verbally abusive to her, it would have been much better for her to just get the manager and be done with the customer(s). There is no reason for her to do what she did.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby BigMusky » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:00 pm

Being that I am a Woman, Art....I can safely say you have no clue what you are talking about. :-D
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact