testing that whole" NO such thing as a dumb question"theory - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

testing that whole" NO such thing as a dumb question"theory

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

testing that whole" NO such thing as a dumb question"theory

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:18 am

Okay if a pitcher allows a runner to reach base and is then replaced, said runner ends up scoring obviously that run is charged to the pitcher that let him get on base.........that i know but tonight brought up another point......

Your hitter(or ANY for that matter) gets on base, is replaced by a pinch runner who comes around to score......does the original hitter get credit for the run? I am fairly certain they dont, but if they dont then WHY???????? Isnt that the same thing? Obviously this question was spurned by having MY hitter get on base and be replaced, BUT more than that i am just curious if the rules are consistent. .....

Then again, maybe its just me that thinks it would be inconsistent to charge an existing runnner that scores to the old pitcher and not credit the former runner that goes on to score credit for the run ..... ummm did that make ANY sense? lol

anyways, i was just curious

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:24 am

Whoever crosses the plate is credited with the run.

Not a dumb question though, I'm sure you're not the first to ask.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ActionHero » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:29 am

Sorry, but the original runner who was replaced does not get credit for the run scored. Not to sound trite, but if your runner doesn't actually touch home plate, he won't get credit for a run.

Now it's my turn for a stupid question. My pitcher gives up a lead-off single. He's promptly replaced by a new reliever. The new reliever gets the next batter to ground into a fielders choice, forcing out the runner at 2b. The next hitter hits a home run. Does my pitcher get charged with an earned run even though the runner he was responsible for was forced out?
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:30 am

ActionHero wrote:Sorry, but the original runner who was replaced does not get credit for the run scored. Not to sound trite, but if your runner doesn't actually touch home plate, he won't get credit for a run.

Now it's my turn for a stupid question. My pitcher gives up a lead-off single. He's promptly replaced by a new reliever. The new reliever gets the next batter to ground into a fielders choice, forcing out the runner at 2b. The next hitter hits a home run. Does my pitcher get charged with an earned run even though the runner he was responsible for was forced out?

That's a good one. I don't know. I wouldn't think so...

:-?
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rirruto » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:32 am

ActionHero wrote:Sorry, but the original runner who was replaced does not get credit for the run scored. Not to sound trite, but if your runner doesn't actually touch home plate, he won't get credit for a run.

No because the guy on first who scored on the 2 run homer didn't get on base because of the original pitcher.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:35 am

^ Love your login name (Billy Madison is King), your team of choice (though I wish we didn't suck so bad :-o ), and your choice in university. SUNY all the way! (SUNY Albany, here) ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby j24jags » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:14 am

i think the starter gets charged for the earned run not sure tho. b/c there would be nobody on base if it werent for the Sp. good question tho
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby rainman23 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:26 am

Yeah, the first run is charged to the first pitcher. You're going to charge the second guy for a guy who got on base on a routine grounder?

To be honest, though -- I'm not completely sure whether the scorer might ever have some discretion here. If it was, for example, a ball deep in the hole to shortstop, where they figure they can get the force, but no way do they ever make the play to first -- MAYBE they could charge both runs to the second guy. I'll leave it to someone else to post the official scorer rules. Odds are extremely high, though, that the run will be scored against the first guy.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LetsPlay2 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:33 am

Here's the official rules for the scenario above:

P1 walks A and is relieved by P2. B forces A at second. C grounds out, sending B to second. D singles, scoring B. Charge run to P1.

Compliments of http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/offic ... rer_10.jsp
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dice » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:00 am

LetsPlay2 wrote:Here's the official rules for the scenario above:

P1 walks A and is relieved by P2. B forces A at second. C grounds out, sending B to second. D singles, scoring B. Charge run to P1.

Compliments of http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/offic ... rer_10.jsp

That's not quite the same scenario, but from this link I found the answer:

(g) When pitchers are changed during an inning, the relief pitcher shall not be charged with any run (earned or unearned) scored by a runner who was on base at the time he entered the game, nor for runs scored by any runner who reaches base on a fielder's choice which puts out a runner left on base by the preceding pitcher.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers