Ethics when playing with newbies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ethics when playing with newbies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ethics when playing with newbies

Postby proninja » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:04 pm

Ok, here's the situation. We're playing with a couple guys who are pretty new at this, I want to see if what I'm doing is generally considered good or bad.

After Magglio's injury, he was waived. I looked at it, thought "no big deal" and moved on. After he cleared waivers, I picked him up off of FA to throw on my DL.

Now, another owner is saying that I'm taking advantage of this guy because evidently he had a DL spot open a few months back and he could have put magglio on it. Now he's saying I should trade back Magglio to the guy who dropped him for nothing. I don't see it that way, I burned a DL slot on this guy for months.

Another owner dropped Bonds about a month ago when he had a DL spot open. A couple of us (myself included) posted in the message board that the league should wait for him to clear waivers so this owner could pick him back up and put him in his DL. His response? "I loathe Bonds with every cell in my body....whomever wants to pick him up, feel free to do so. I have tried to give him away and no one wants him."

After that, I put in a claim for him and got him. I'd been saving my waiver priority all year, and figured Barry could be a great 2nd half shot in the arm.

Now, the guy who's bugging me thinks that I'm taking advantage of this guy because I picked up Bonds.

Now. . .is it something to be proud of that I have Bonds and Magglio? Heck no. Is it unethical? Well, I'm asking you to tell me that.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by proninja on Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:06 pm

I'm sure you can tell them this in a nicer way but..

Live and learn. There are much worse mistakes that a newbie can make.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Mustangs989 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:07 pm

As I understand it you aren't doing anything wrong at all. If they want to drop players even though they have DL slots open that's not your fault.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:07 pm

When I take advantage of a newbie, it's not unethical.

When the guy ahead of me in the standings takes advantage of the newbie, it's unethical.

;-D

But seriously, everybody has the same opportunity to take advantage of everybody else in the league. All's fair in love and war, and fantasy baseball is war.

You're not in the wrong here. The player was dropped and you picked him up.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby proninja » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:08 pm

Tavish wrote:I'm sure you can tell them this in a nicer way but..

Oh, the newbies aren't mad at all. It's another friend who's actually in contention (4th, I'm 1st) that's saying I've been gaining an unfair advantage by taking advantage of the new guys.
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:08 pm

The guy who dropped Bonds knew exactly what he was doing. Who's to say Bonds does play this year anyways? The owner complaining is basing it off of what he thinks Bonds will do which none of us know for sure.

If you wouldn't have picked up Bonds with your waiver priority, someone would have. You burned a DL spot and your waiver priority for a guy the manager repeated that he didn't even want. You're in the clear.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:10 pm

proninja wrote:
Tavish wrote:I'm sure you can tell them this in a nicer way but..

Oh, the newbies aren't mad at all. It's another friend who's actually in contention (4th, I'm 1st) that's saying I've been gaining an unfair advantage by taking advantage of the new guys.

Sounds like the guy complaining is a newbie. He is the one you should be telling live and learn.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:11 pm

Sounds like a case of this 4th place owner being frustrated with you making a smart move, and that he can't get over the hump. Tell him to stick it in the nicest way possible. ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:13 pm

it's a game. it's the responsibilty oif each player to know the rules. if they don't and they do something stupid because of it, it's their fault and no one else's.

if no rules were broken, nothing unethical was done.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby proninja » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:13 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Sounds like a case of this 4th place owner being frustrated with you making a smart move, and that he can't get over the hump. Tell him to stick it in the nicest way possible. ;-)

I told him to look at this thread. . .was that a nice enough way?
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers