Zero Corked Bats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zero Corked Bats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zero Corked Bats

Postby trippinonreality » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:22 pm

of the 60-70 bats that were examined by MLB none were found to be corked. Whether or not they were his actual bats is another story but none that were examined were corked.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lepke » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:26 pm

Ya... And I don't like the taste of beer. ;-7
Lepke

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:31 am

MLB wouldn't tell us if any of the bats were really corked. What would they gain? Nothing. In fact if there were more corked bats and they told everyone, it makes baseball look worse. Maybe I am just being synical but I don't trust MLB and I wish some independent investigation was done.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby WinLoseOrBrawl » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:32 am

Do you think that if MLB found cork in his bats that they would actually tell us? They don't want their most marketable/popular player to come under question. And they certainly don't want to suggest to the fans that his records, and those of others were not legit. He and McGwire rejuvenated this game.
WinLoseOrBrawl
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:55 am

That's pretty amazing same thoughts posted a minute apart. Does everyone feel this way?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:08 am

i think mlb would have told us if they were corked. i've never been a believer in conspiracy theories. what do you need more than one corked bat for anyway? if it splits, you're busted. there is no need to go to the dugout to get a new one because you are out of the game.

but frankly i dont really care whats in or not in the bats that he didnt use. he used a corked bat. we have all seen the pictures. we dont need anymore evidence.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby craigandthem » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:39 pm

Apparently the MLB confiscated the remainder of Sosa's bats several innings after they found him using corky. That leaves plenty of time for the ejected Sosa to cover his tracks if necessary. So yes, I believe that the MLB didn't find any more corked bats, but I don't think they were looking in the right places. Had they found anything, I doubt they'd have told us.

This leads me to another conspiracy theory. Did they give advanced warning that they were going to confiscate the remainer of Sosa's bats, so that the necessary precautions could be taken to assure they wouldn't find anymore cork? Just a thought.
craigandthem
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Quaker » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:57 pm

Just because all of his other bats are clean doesn't mean Sosa's story clears. If I were a baseball player using a corked bat, I would only carry one at all times, and have the BP excuse ready to go. All my other bats would be clean, so that if I did get busted, I could just say, "hey, check all my other bats, they're fine".
To me, all his other bats being clean just tells me that he was prepared.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby biglfty » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:01 pm

i would say that sosa doesnt use a corked bat very often. first of all, whether sosa covered up his other corked bats or whatnot really doesn matter. but i think its obvious that sosa rarely uses a corked bat becuase if you break a cork bat is painfully obvious that it is corked. and sosa has never been caught w/ a corked bat before. of course, he has broken a lot of bats in his career. i dont know that i believe his "accident" story but he doesnt cheat all the time, and almost everyone has cheated sometime. i think we should just let him serve his suspension and forget the whole incident.
biglfty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:40 pm

i dont think sosa uses corked bats on a regular basis, but i will point out a flaw in your argument. it is widely acknowledged that albert belle corked his bats. technically, no one has seen cork in his bats. he never split one in a game revealing cork. his corked bat that was confiscated by the umps was stolen before it could be analyzed. there is no physical evidence that indicates belle corked his bats. but we know he did because several of his teammates said he did.

although i dont believe his accident story for a second, i think sosa is going to be remembered as idiot and not a cheater.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers