Damon to sit? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Damon to sit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:29 am

thehat wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:
Tropico1804 wrote:I live near boston and the guys on the radio were sayin that he probably should go on the DL but he doesn't want to, which shows us what a high caliber player he is.

That's just being stupid, not high caliber. If you're injured, you go on the DL. I wish the Dodgers had done that with Gagne. Now its going to cost the organization for the next year (or more).

Two points...professional athletes play through pain. It is, in fact, part of the competitive edge that has gotten them to the highest level to begin with. These guys have different mindsets than the rest of us. Fact is, you can go into every MLB clubhouse at this point in the season, and make a case for half the team needing to hit the DL. It's the same story in any professional sport. As for Damon, he's certainly banged up but it's clearly not enough to prevent from playing great ball. He'll likely need to take the occasional day off, and will, but apparently a DL hiatus is unnecessary.

If the injury doesn't affect his abilities to perform, then he should be able to play. I'm not familiar enough to talk about Damon's specific case, but I was responding to Tropico's quote, "he probably should go on the DL but he doesn't want to." If Damon probably should go on the DL, but doesn't want to that's irresponsible and detrimental to the team. If a player is too injured to perform at a high level, it's management's responsibility to the fans, the city, and the team to sit that player (who is a multi-million dollar investment) down until he is fully recovered. Obviously Damon had a great game tonight, so it appears that he wouldn't fall under that kind of player. I was just responding to Tropico's quote in general. Injured players should be put on the DL regardless as to whether or not they want to be there. It's all about what is best for the team. I think you'd agree.

thehat wrote:As for Gagne, what were the Dodgers supposed to do? He checked out okay after his DL stint, so he started pitching again. The Dodgrs could have sat him on the DL till 2010 and the same thing would have happened if there was a weakness in the elbow that wasn't showing up in the pictures. The only way they could have seen this coming was if they had Kreskin working for them.

Remember when Gagne had that knee injury early in ST? The Dodgers rushed him back from that because Gagne wanted to pitch. As a result, he changed his delivery to take stress off his knee while it was still healing. Rumor has it that the "modified delivery" that Gagne used while his knee was still in pain put more stress on his surgically repaired arm and resulted in the elbow soreness that he's experiencing right now. That's the word on the street here in Los Angeles right now. A slight knee strain turned into a career threatening injury just because Gagne wanted to pitch and didn't want to go/stay on the DL. The Dodgers should have listened to their medical staff and shut him down for a long time. They might not be talking about Tommy John surgery right now...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:30 am

Tropico1804 wrote:U can both go to hell. Was 0/2 and what'd he do with men in scoring position, while playing hurt? Knocked them in. He IS high caliber because he performs even when he is hurt unlike most.

Easy there, tiger. :-o
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tropico1804 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:54 pm

"I ain't let noone stare me down in jail homeboy u think ima let it fly in the forums?" jk its coo buddy just don't call my boy stupid. ;-D
Tropico1804
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers