Capuano, Johnson, Blanton, Patterson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Capuano, Johnson, Blanton, Patterson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Capuano, Johnson, Blanton, Patterson

Postby Sunspot » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:56 am

Who is worth more the rest of this year? Please rank.

Patterson
Capuano

Johnson
Blanton
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:57 am

Is that Randy Johnson?
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby vladrules » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:28 am

Patterson (Wsh pitchers benefit from pitching at home)

Cap (good Ks and with MMaddux, whom i never knew was such a good pitching coach, guiding him he should walk less batters; plus MIL winning this year)

JJohnson (assume it's Jason and not Randy; the Canadian (yay, another Canuck) has always been serviceable; he's capable of having a run of QS but sometimes he doesn't have it. Pitching in Comerica should help but not sure of his splits; Det competitive this year.

Blanton (rook has looked good recently but he's still a rookie; personally don't know that much about him; going up against division rivals won't help. LAA and TEX are some strong opposition.)
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:45 am

If that's Jason Johnson I think you ordered them properly. Cap and Patt are a cut above Johnson and Blanton and the 2 groups are ordered properly.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby djack909 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:44 pm

C. Wang looks good to me. I would take him over all but Patterson.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:58 pm

djack909 wrote:C. Wang looks good to me. I would take him over all but Patterson.

Having seen all of his starts, 2 in person, and 1 of which I was 3 rows from the field behind the edge of the left net behind the plate I feel like I have pretty good standing to be giving an opinion on Healthy Wang...

Positives
Good stuff with a fastball that gets the job done but doesn't blow anyone away (93 consistently).
Slightly herky jerky with his hesitation delivery at the top of his delivery that seems to disrupt some batters' rhythm allowing him to sneak his fastball by them.
He has tremendous command and doesn't walk many.
Poised and confident beyond his age and doesn't get rattled.
Movement on most pitches.

Negatives
His fastball gets a nice fat portion of the plate more often than I like to see and can sometimes be real straight and for batters who are looking for it and don't get thrown off on his hesitation, he will get taken deep quite a bit...

His biggest asset in my mind is his ability to completely disregard what happens to him and focus on the task at hand. It seems like if he gives up a bomb or someone really drives one off him he just doesn't care. He's the opposite of RJ in that way.

I think he is a strong option for mixed league formats but be aware that he will eventually have some outings where he gets hit up if teams properly scout his fastball and delivery because he tends to be fat on the plate too often...

I'd start him confidently against teams with few veteran and "professional" hitters but beware of starting him against teams that have real smart guys in their lineup because they may figure him out and be able to get on that fastball.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby djack909 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:11 pm

Thanx for that fascinating post on Wang AT. Poised is the key word. I picked up Wang on two teams that were desparate for pitching yesterday. Would have taken Patterson instead if he was a FA.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:13 pm

Sure buddy. When I was at that game in the corporate seats behind the net I was trying to get a Healthy Wang chant going. It didn't fly as well as when I had it going in the bleachers...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:15 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 731)

Return to Baseball Leftovers