braves fans? Betemit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

braves fans? Betemit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:23 am

kentx12 wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Who are they going to get to take a struggling SS who has a bum shoulder and is in the final year of his contract. No team who is rebuilding wants the latter, and what contending teams need the former?

Now, with that said, I could easily see Betemit being moved for OF help to a rebuilding team, e.g. a team like Pittsburgh for a player like Lawton.

I think many contending teams could use Furcal. He isnt as bad as he has been and should improve as the year goes on and he gets some rest and the shoulder heels. As for Bettiment I wouldnt want to use him in a 10 team league. He might be someone to watch but I dont expect him to keep this up. I sure hope he does though.

In the AL, I can only see Min, CHW and Cle as needing an upgrade at SS.

In the NL, I can only see CHC and maybe Ari as looking to upgrade (presuming the NL East is unavailable as I highly doubt the Braves trade to a division opponent if they are attempting to win this year).

And this all presumes any team would trade for him due to the well-known issues with his shoulder.

With Hampton, Hudson and possibly Thomson back by the ASB, and having a better idea about Chipper by that time, it all depends on where the Braves stand.

If they feel they are in contention, I don't see Furcal and A. Jones being traded, but rather prospects - and for a corner OF and a relief pitcher (though they may also give Devine a chance).

If they are out of contention, I can see Furcal being traded, but for near-major league ready prospects - also likely in the OF and bullpen (maybe for Hairston in Ari).

I think that if Andruw gets traded, it will come in the off-season. With two years left on the contract, trading him will be more difficult.

I agree that in a 10 team league, Betemit is not ready yet, unless it is a keeper league and you have a bench - as I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves hand him the SS job next year, regardless of what happens this year (which obviosuly assumes they don't trade him).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby BcM » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:32 am

I just don't see the Braves letting A.Jones go. Just look how many games this guy can win with only his glove. If the Braves do want to deal him there will be a huge line of teams drooling over the thought of him in their center field.
BcM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:20 pm

I picked him up in a league I am getting crushed in that is also a keeper league
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:54 pm

what's betemit's playing time look like from here on out. i notice he is ss eligible. any projections?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:30 pm

Right now, I'd say 3-5 starts/week - 1-2 at SS, 2-3 at 3B and 0-1 at 2B. He's one of the few Braves hitting well, but Giles and Furcal (if healthy) will play 90-95% of the time. That leaves 3B, where I doubt the Braves sit Marte and will play him at least 50% of the time.

But, if he keeps this going, I could see him going to a Ryan Freel-type of PT - about 5-6 starts/week.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:59 pm

bobby cox is usually pretty good about getting different guys ABs throughout the year. most players don't go a week without seeing a start or at least a few PH appearances.

in betimit's case, he's hitting too well to bench him right now. don't be surprised to see him start 5 times in a give week, resting furcal once or twice and splitting time at 3B with marte.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fpower » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:57 pm

Does he have any value in a 14 team standard H2H league?
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers