braves fans? Betemit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

braves fans? Betemit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

braves fans? Betemit

Postby tiger spit » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:33 pm

what are we thinking about Betemit? baseball america ranked him as the #1 prospect in the braves system 2001 and 2002 (2003 he was #2) however in 04' he slipped to #12 in the system due to a rough year. has he finally put it all together? im in a bunch of keepers and braves fans on particular forums are saying furcal should go in 06' w/ Betemit @ SS and Marte @ 3b. he's certainly putting up impressive numbers so far. 330 avg and 4 HRs in limited time. hmmm.
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:57 pm

It really wouldnt suprise me if Furcal wasnt gone in the next couple of weeks.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:04 pm

kentx12 wrote:It really wouldnt suprise me if Furcal wasnt gone in the next couple of weeks.

As an owner of Furcal as my only real Shortstop, I'm going to request you to please elaborate... :-o

Traded elsewhere (this is my assumption)? DL? Sent down?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby kentx12 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:06 pm

Sorry. I have heard alot of local radio stations say that he has been talked about in some trades. They are trying hard to find a big bat and some sp help. Both he and Andrew could be moved if they could get some help imo.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:20 pm

Who are they going to get to take a struggling SS who has a bum shoulder and is in the final year of his contract. No team who is rebuilding wants the latter, and what contending teams need the former?

Now, with that said, I could easily see Betemit being moved for OF help to a rebuilding team, e.g. a team like Pittsburgh for a player like Lawton.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:25 pm

kentx12 wrote:Sorry. I have heard alot of local radio stations say that he has been talked about in some trades. They are trying hard to find a big bat and some sp help. Both he and Andrew could be moved if they could get some help imo.

Thanks. Betemit is the newest member of my Watch List. He worth a serious look in a 10-team, H2H, 6-player keeper, in your opinion, with only SS plays as Furcal and F. Lopez?

(Note: I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm just asking kentx12, as he appears to be an Atl. fan and I think may be able to lend specific advice atop the general question asked in this thread's first post. If the original poster takes offense, simply say so and I'll edit this post to blank. Thanks!)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby kentx12 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Who are they going to get to take a struggling SS who has a bum shoulder and is in the final year of his contract. No team who is rebuilding wants the latter, and what contending teams need the former?

Now, with that said, I could easily see Betemit being moved for OF help to a rebuilding team, e.g. a team like Pittsburgh for a player like Lawton.

I think many contending teams could use Furcal. He isnt as bad as he has been and should improve as the year goes on and he gets some rest and the shoulder heels. As for Bettiment I wouldnt want to use him in a 10 team league. He might be someone to watch but I dont expect him to keep this up. I sure hope he does though.

kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby uucrook3d » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:17 pm

kentx12 wrote:Sorry. I have heard alot of local radio stations say that he has been talked about in some trades. They are trying hard to find a big bat and some sp help. Both he and Andrew could be moved if they could get some help imo.

you realize andruw is 2nd in the league with 19 home runs right :-? i am assuming you think they will trade him for a pitcher and furcal for a bat. but why not just keep andruw and trade furcal for a pitcher?
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kentx12 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:24 pm

uucrook3d wrote:

you realize andruw is 2nd in the league with 19 home runs right :-? i am assuming you think they will trade him for a pitcher and furcal for a bat. but why not just keep andruw and trade furcal for a pitcher?

I understand about andrew and hope he isnt moved. I just live pretty close to Atl. and can pick up a few of there sports talk shows and I am just repeating what I have heard on there. Since Chipper went down Andrew has really stepped it up but if the Braves fall much more I believe Andrew will be gone.

kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:27 am

trade rumors about andruw have been around for a couple years now and schurholtz hasn't pulled the trigger. with him finally seeming to "break out" this year, i don't think now would be the time to move him at all. wilson has been playing out of his mind lately, but then again, so have the entire braves offense. i think they've scored something like 6 runs or more in the past 6 games (albeit at texas and at cinci during that stretch....). if they move furcal or betemit for anything, it'll be for pitching, but with hampton and thomson both looking to come off the DL over the next month, i don't think now would be the best time to sell the farm for someone you might not actually need, especially considering how good these guys were during the start of the year.

so if you do see a trade, i think it'll be for a reliever rather than a starter. although a corner OF isn't out of the question (perhaps dunn? although cinci already has a SS with a bright future), both langerhans and kelly johnson seem to be adjusting to major league pitching and have started to hit the ball well recently. if this continues, they may not need an upgrade there.

so if you want to find a possible trading partner for furcal, you've got to find a team that needs a SS and can trade either a reliever or an OF, and that's not a very long list of teams.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers