Highly interesting info regarding corked bats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Highly interesting info regarding corked bats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Highly interesting info regarding corked bats

Postby The Jury » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:16 pm

[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Siege1386 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:04 pm

When in high school I did a science fair report on the subject. I think I might still have it. If I find it, I will share with you guys.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby The Jury » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:39 pm

If you've got it saved would you mind sending me a copy? I'm doing an investigation on the physics of baseball including ballparks (ie. Coors), pitching, and hitting, and I'm in grade 11.

Email: mailto:brendonrcheung@yahoo.ca
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:03 pm

i had this discussion with my friend earlier today. force is equal to mass times acceleration. my contention was that the small decrease in mass basically offsets the small increase in acceleration which means it wont necessarily help you hit it farther. i dont really have the ability to accurately measure batspeed so i dont know if they would cancel out or not. the advantage in corking a bat isnt that it helps you hit it farther, but you can get a better look at the ball and can catch up to the fastballs that you were just missing.

i think the article kind of underestimates the advantage of bat speed to power hitters. bat speed is often cited as a reason why gary sheffield is a good hitter.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby timkell » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:37 pm

Well, no one is taking into account it's effect on the surface of the bat. With cork, is the ball able to return more of the pitched ball's power because of the added "bounce"?

It was for this reason, I've been told, not the bat speed increase, that power was added. Like with tennis rackets. If you use lower tension string, you get more power.

Thoughts?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:46 pm

Check out this:

http://www.bostonbaseball.com/whitesox/ ... ysics.html

Corking increase bat speed, but reduces the intertia transfered to the ball. It does not make balls fly farther.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby timkell » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:02 pm

Very nice, transmogrifier. I'll be sending in my Sosa for the hall of fame ballot tonight!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Longshot » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:37 pm

So, even though corking a bat is illegal and immoral, it is ok because after some research you find out it doesnt work? This makes no sense. If Anthrax is found out to be harmless, would it excuse the terrorists who send it with intent to harm? No. Likewise with Sosa. Using cork is intending to cheat, whether or not it actually works is a moot point. If he used it on purpose, which im 90% sure he did, it is inexusable.
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timkell » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:25 am

I was slightly exagerrating. What the article does do is provide a sanity check to the people saying every one of his homers is suspect. Or his whole career is a sham, etc.

What it says is that yes, Sosa broke a rule and should be punished, but corking a bat is not only illegal, it;s stupid!

So yes, Sosa should be punished, but the 10 game suspensions they've given before seem to be about what the offense deserves. It's not steroids, and it's not betting on baseball.

Sosa screwed up. I'm pretty sure he did it intentionally, but it doesn't matter that much either way according to physics. At least not as much as I thought.

Still, no player should even be allowed to use a corked bat in BP. They shouldn't be allowed in MLB parks. Right under "No Cricket." (drawing a blank. Is that what they say?) They should have "No Corked Bats".
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:32 am

No pepper! Duh. How could I forget that?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers