Maggs due back in a week or so - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maggs due back in a week or so

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:52 pm

D'oh! I just dropped him in one of my leagues.
I needed a starter while Beckett is down, and I thought I could snatch him back up while no one was looking.
Hope he's still there when I need him.
Good news, though.
Temper your expectations. He probably won't justify that 7th round pick if you've held him all year, but I'll guarantee he has more potential than anyone who else who might be sitting on your waiver wire.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby klvrdude » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:09 am

Berkman just had "one" knee injury and he's been ice cold since coming back. I'm not saying he won't get some nice numbers, but he's definately a shell of the man he was last year.

In that same context, yes, Mags has only had an injury influenced season this year, but it doesn't mean he's going to jump back into to his pre-injury form. Also, he's no spring chicken, he's a whopping 31 y/o!

Also, an "injury prone player" has to start somewhere ;-7 . I remember Griffey having some great years before someone made a Voodoo doll of him.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:50 am

I've had him taking up a much needed bench spot in one league most of the year. Anything is better than that.

I also dropped bench player Matt Lawton who never sees my starting lineup for him in another. Doesn't hurt anything there.

Already taken in my other two leagues.

Now let's hope for a solid return. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AT » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:20 pm

He'll be productive again, it's just a matter of when. I doubt he'll be putting up 30, 100, 20, .300 numbers like he did in his prime ever again but I'd be shocked if he just widdled away into nothing...

I'd expect a terrible July from him, and maybe a productive August or September but other than that it may be wise to expect nothing from him until next season. I understand that he used to be an absolute stud and he's still only 31, but he's not going to come back after a year and a half of injuries and just start producing right away. I'd keep an eye on him for next season...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:20 pm

I expect him to immediately go on the DL again
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Trot Nixon » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:24 pm

I really can't wait for Maggs to come back and have a HUGE half season, I drafted him in the 1st round last year of my keeper league for some reason over Manny because he put up like #'s but could get 10 steals a year...ya...big mistake. He owes me big!
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:34 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:I really can't wait for Maggs to come back and have a HUGE half season, I drafted him in the 1st round last year of my keeper league for some reason over Manny because he put up like #'s but could get 10 steals a year...ya...big mistake. He owes me big!

As a Sox fan? You should be ashamed of yourself and duly punished... It's only right that such a decision is haunting you.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tropico1804 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:25 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:
I really can't wait for Maggs to come back and have a HUGE half season, I drafted him in the 1st round last year of my keeper league for some reason over Manny because he put up like #'s but could get 10 steals a year...ya...big mistake. He owes me big!

As a Sox fan? You should be ashamed of yourself and duly punished... It's only right that such a decision is haunting you.

Awwww. Is somebody a little testy because they finally realized the yanks aren't going to make the playoffs this year? It's ok we understand ;-D
Tropico1804
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:27 pm

I'd hardly count the Yankees out of the playoff picture in mid-June. And I loathe them...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:36 pm

Magglio's injuries have hidden the fact that he's been in a clear decline for the last 3 years. Moving from Chicago to Detroit is only going to hurt his numbers even more.

Oh yeah, and there's the risk of future injury too.

He's a better option than a lot of players, but expecting anywhere near his 2002 or 2003 production would be a mistake, in my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong though, he seems like a real stand up guy.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers