Thoughts on Felipe Lopez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Felipe Lopez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Felipe Lopez

Postby Mills13 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:18 am

Is he better than Hall? Furcal? Reyes? He's on the waiver wire. I know and I'm not sure if I want to pick him up. I currently have Furcal. I know, no waiver questions, but I just want to know if he's better than waht I have or if Hall or Reyes might be better.
Mills13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:42 pm

I'd rank those players in the following order:

Furcal
Reyes
Lopez
Hall

Furcal and Reyes can be flip flopped, depending on your league scoring structure, etc. but Lopez has played well all year, and I'm more sold on him than Hall at this point. Furcal and Reyes are the clear Top 2 though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:14 pm

Yeah well Lopez is ourperforming the 220 hitting furcal and the 258 hitting Reyes by miles. Lopez is clearly the top in that group right now and I do not see why it would be likely to change.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:25 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah well Lopez is ourperforming the 220 hitting furcal and the 258 hitting Reyes by miles. Lopez is clearly the top in that group right now and I do not see why it would be likely to change.

Possibly because he's never played in more than 85 games (he's still to have 300 at bats in a season, as well) or finished with higher than a .260 AVG, and he's a .246 career hitter, .290 AVG this year taken into account of that?

While Furcal has shown over the course of his career that he's a Top 5 Fantasy Shortstop, and while is batting .220 (You honestly don't think he's going to bat .220 all year, as a lifetime .278 hitter, do you?) is still stealing more bases than all but a few players in the league. I'm not saying Lopez isn't the real deal here; I have him on my fantasy team. I'm just saying if somebody offered me Reyes or Furcal for him straight up, I'd be stupid not to take it, given Lopez's less than stellar history in the majors. I take proven talent over 2 1/2 months of good ball, a majority of the time. Furcal is just that, while Reyes has more potential than Lopez, in my eyes, and does more of what I want out of my fantasy shortstop.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Half Massed » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah well Lopez is ourperforming the 220 hitting furcal and the 258 hitting Reyes by miles. Lopez is clearly the top in that group right now and I do not see why it would be likely to change.

Possibly because he's never played in more than 85 games (he's still to have 300 at bats in a season, as well) or finished with higher than a .260 AVG, and he's a .246 career hitter, .290 AVG this year taken into account of that?

While Furcal has shown over the course of his career that he's a Top 5 Fantasy Shortstop, and while is batting .220 (You honestly don't think he's going to bat .220 all year, as a lifetime .278 hitter, do you?) is still stealing more bases than all but a few players in the league. I'm not saying Lopez isn't the real deal here; I have him on my fantasy team. I'm just saying if somebody offered me Reyes or Furcal for him straight up, I'd be stupid not to take it, given Lopez's less than stellar history in the majors. I take proven talent over 2 1/2 months of good ball, a majority of the time. Furcal is just that, while Reyes has more potential than Lopez, in my eyes, and does more of what I want out of my fantasy shortstop.

;-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby oukurt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:52 pm

His ranking may take a dip. He just came up lame.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:56 pm

oukurt wrote:His ranking may take a dip. He just came up lame.
wrong lopez that came up lame the lamster was luis lopez
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby oukurt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:00 pm

Lenny Dykstra wrote:
oukurt wrote:His ranking may take a dip. He just came up lame.
wrong lopez that came up lame the lamster was luis lopez

Yeah sorry..caught my error a few minutes after I typed it. Phew! I thought surely not another injury! Guess I am just expecting injuries now.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby looptid » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:52 am

For the first time I can remember, I'm with TheYanks04.

bigh0rt wrote:Possibly because he's never played in more than 85 games (he's still to have 300 at bats in a season, as well) or finished with higher than a .260 AVG, and he's a .246 career hitter, .290 AVG this year taken into account of that?

Reyes? Only in a keeper league. Or for a Mets fan. He just isn't there yet.

Reyes - 2005
0.195 BB/K
0.021 ISD

At this point in his career he hasn't a clue what the "strike zone" is. He's also slugging .381. He'd need to be in the Podsednik range of stolen bases to make up the other three categories he trails Lopez in a five-by-five league, both being neck-and-neck in runs scored.

Also, Lopez just turned 25. It's not like he's done developing. But he's a lot closer to his prime, while Reyes just isn't ready yet. And TheYanks04 and I aren't the only ones who shared that opinion, even before the season started. From BP 2005:

Felipe Lopez
Starting to see the light. Lopez' pitch recognition remains a work in progress, but he did flash some of the power that first got him noticed in the minors and earned him his major league debut at age 21. People forget that aout Lopez: This will be his fifth season getting significant big league playing time, and though it'll be his first clear shot at a full time job, he's still not yet 25. If he stalls from here, Lopez has good power for a shortstop and while he is still eratic in the field, he flashes a strong arm. The Reds envision his hitting from the left side improving and the rough edges on his defense smoothing out. Anyway, they have little to lose because he's cheap, he's talented, and he's an upgrade over a 40-something Barry Larkin. Look for a breakout season.

Jose Reyes
It's easy to point to Reyes' hamstring injuries as the reason for his lousy 2004, but the fact is that he's been rushed by the Mets. He isn't ready to hit at the major league level, and his power and batting eye both need serious work. With so many stop-gap middle-infield candidates, the Mets should let Reyes go to Norfolk for at least haf a season to that he can continue developing as a hitter. He can still be a star.

Furcal is a tougher call. He could rebound, and it looks like his steals are up from recent years. But Reyes isn't even in this conversation. He's near dead even with Bill Hall so far this season.

But I'd still rather go with Lopez, who looks like he's in the middle of a breakout season than Furcal, who looks like he's in the middle of an off year.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:52 am

I would try and pick him up off the wire. As far as the others mentioned, the only one of those 3 I would rank above him would be Furcal, provded this is a re-draft league. I would keep him below Reyes in a keeper league, imo Reyes has a higher ceiling especially for sb's.
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers