Gammons' unnamed player in article - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gammons' unnamed player in article

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:55 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Well we can agree to disagree.

Oh and comparing him to Mike the Lip (a horrible Met Schill who makes Gammons look like the Oracle at Delphi) is hardly complimentary to say the least.

The comparison is in terms of style and approach. They both cover a broad range of topics in each column (Lupica in sports in general, Gammons across the baseball world). Thirty years ago, this was a completely new thing. I used Lupica because I figured you'd know who he is, and let's face it, he's done pretty well for himself.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:56 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Well we can agree to disagree.

Oh and comparing him to Mike the Lip (a horrible Met Schill who makes Gammons look like the Oracle at Delphi) is hardly complimentary to say the least.

Just curious as to whether there's any sports journalist you respect.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Gammons' unnamed player in article

Postby reiser » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:38 am

RugbyD wrote:Anyone know who the rookie is that he is referring to from todays EPSN article?

"We went into this draft thinking that the game is going to change back," adds an AL GM. "We were also very careful about looking into the backgrounds of some of the bigger kids," as everyone in baseball has noticed that one rookie is nowhere near as strong as he was at the time he was drafted.

it sounded to me like some high-school kid in the minors who roided up to move up in the draft. I don't think MacPherson, who hit 40HR last year has had that big of a drop off:
Teixera 03 rookie year pre-ASB
260 14 43 .254
DMac 04 with a 100 fewer AB's
168 6 17 .238
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:11 am

This doesn't make sense to me. Aren't the minor leagues more heavily tested and for more substances (at least prior to this year) then the bigs? So if the guy was in the minors last year, he would have been frequently tested and now a move up results in a drop in power? :-?

I doubt any of the rookies jumped from college ball up to the big leagues, but I don't know for sure. An individual in that category would seem more likely, as I don't know if college baseball even has a testing program.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blackbearabroad » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:00 pm

I got the impression that this was someone in the minor leauge systems now. As for the tougher testing in the minors that would be the reason why he is smaller, and as for universities, they have a testing program, just not sure how effective it is, we had a senior football player arested for traficing steroids 2 years ago :-?
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Iconoclastic » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 pm

My ventured guess would have to be Nick Swisher. Admittedly I've never seen him before this season so I don't know if he shrank. But he was supposed to be a big power guy and at a glance his uniform looks real loose on him, whereas guys like Dallas are stretching the fabric on their uniforms.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers