Your NL MVP....Craig Counsell? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your NL MVP....Craig Counsell?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

maybe not

Postby DbacksAllTheWay » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:29 pm

I like Counsell and I would say he isnt the MVP of the team, that would have to be Mr. Clutch Tony Clark. This guy is an allstar if he had more at-bats. He comes up with all the big hits. Kruk doesn't know what he's talking, the real MVP is Derrek Lee. By the way, kingctb who is that in ur sig?
DbacksAllTheWay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:46 pm

That is laughable. I'd like to see Derek Lee win the triple crown and D-Backs win the division, I wonder if he'll stand by saying Counsell for MVP.

Maybe comeback player of the year, if they count sucking hard forever then doing good a comeback. :-?
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:11 pm

He gets a lot of walks at 2B for my BB league :-D

And here she is, explanation and all... It could make sense (not likely) .

Arizona Diamondbacks

Craig Counsell
Second Base
Arizona Diamondbacks
Code: Select all
   2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM    HR   RBI     R    OBP     AVG
62    5    24    43    .393    .291

The Diamondbacks are a team that people aren't paying enough attention to this season. So far most of the talk out of the NL West has been of the Los Angeles Dodgers, the San Diego Padres and the San Francisco Giants if Barry Bonds comes back. People better watch this D-Backs team because it is pretty good. Right now their bullpen is horrible, but if the D-Backs get a reliever, they'll be right there in the middle of the race.

The D-Backs are legit and are going to be in this for the long haul once they get their offense going. Last season they were a boring team to watch especially when they lost Luis Gonzalez. With Craig Counsell back now on the team after a season in Milwaukee, they have some life at the top of the order.

I've heard some people ask how Kirk Gibson won the MVP in 1988 when he only hit .290 and drove in 76 runs, but he made that Dodgers team win. If the D-Backs win the NL West, some people better start talking about Counsell for MVP because he's going to be the reason they win.

Looks like he neede space to fill and took the Gibson idea a little too far. Here's the rest if you care to venture into the mind of Kruk:

Because I live on the East Coast, it's all New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox. Whenever my broadcasting career is over, I'll never watch another Yanks-Red Sox game again. I won't watch either team even if they're in the World Series. All I hear people talk about is Yanks and Sox. Do you really think people in Milwaukee and San Diego care about the Sox and Yankees?

East Coast fans don't hear about certain players because they don't play for an East Coast team. Evidently, if they don't play for either of the Big Two, then they are no good.

How big do you think a guy like Albert Pujols would be if he was playing for either of those clubs and putting up those numbers? Jim Edmonds plays a sick center field, hits 30-40 homers every year and drives in 100 runs, but he's not on the East Coast so you don't hear about him. If he did play on the East Coast, they'd be getting his plaque ready for the Hall of Fame.

Here's a look at a couple of non-East Coast teams and players that are unfairly getting ignored.

(Counsell blurb)...

Toronto Blue Jays

The only team in the AL East that you could say is flying under the radar is the Toronto Blue Jays. They are so young – with guys like Aaron Hill (23), Alex Rios (24), Russ Adams (24) and Gustavo Chacin (24) – that I'm not sure how good they are, and I just don't know how long they are going to last in the division race with the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox playing better.

The Yankees are playing better because they are finally scoring runs. I don't care who they are playing; if their bats get hot, it's a good thing. Oh really Kruky? Wow that was insightful. Actually I think it's a bad thing for the yanks to do well :-) Some may take shots at the Yanks for beating up on the Pirates, but Oliver Perez had won his last four games, Kip Wells was 5-4 with a 3.39 ERA, and the Yanks beat up on them.

Players under the radar:

• Neifi Perez, Chicago Cubs: I talked about him on Baseball Tonight because when Nomar Garciappara went down people panicked. Losing Nomar looked like a big thing because he was projected to be such a large part of the offense, but Perez has stepped in well hitting for average (.297) and power (seven HRs) while also playing the position better.

• Todd Jones, Florida Marlins: This is another guy who was terrible when he played for the Philadelphia Phillies. After such a poor season last year, it seemed like he might be done because of his age (37), but he's stepped in for Guillermo Mota and has saved 11 games to go with a 1.30 ERA.

• Nook Logan, Detroit Tigers: He's hitting .306 and stolen 14 bases and is helping this team in its resurgence back to being a playoff contender.

So Kruky isn't the most in depth guy, I mean you can't call him a writer or analyst. Give him and ESPN a break though, they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:31 pm

He was also the ESPN analyst that GUARANTEED that randy johnson would have 30 wins this year. He is an idiot. Id say almost as bad a Jeff Brantley who said David Eckstein is the NL SS all star for sure (before Barmes hurt himself). They need to find some more qualified announcers if ESPN is to remain reputable.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:36 pm

If one-nut Kruk wants to pull for Counsell, I fully support that decision. At least he's an entertaining moron. I'm pretty sure they could wheel out a corpse, put glasses and a Red Sox hat on it, and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and Peter Gammons.

8-o
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:07 am

I like what he has to say about the Blue Jays. They're flying under the radar, he doesn't know how good they are, and he doesn't know how they stack up against the other teams in their division. I can't wait until his next column to find out what else he doesn't know. Pffff. :-P
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby GiantFan666 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:07 am

beltrans_boy wrote:If one-nut Kruk wants to pull for Counsell, I fully support that decision. At least he's an entertaining moron. I'm pretty sure they could wheel out a corpse, put glasses and a Red Sox hat on it, and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and Peter Gammons.

8-o

Now thats just silly... We all know that Gammons has been dead for 10 years and they just replaced him w/ an audio-animatronic from Disneyland!
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:14 am

beltrans_boy wrote:If one-nut Kruk wants to pull for Counsell, I fully support that decision. At least he's an entertaining moron.

8-o

Moe, Larry and Curly were entertaining morons. Kruk, Reynolds and Brantley are just morons. Jeez, I just realized that Kruk could actually almost pass for Curly.

BB, the little chimp with the baseball bat that you're using for an avatar is probably more entertaining, and quite possibly more knowledgeable than any of the aforementioned.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:20 am

thehat wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:If one-nut Kruk wants to pull for Counsell, I fully support that decision. At least he's an entertaining moron.

8-o

Moe, Larry and Curly were entertaining morons. Kruk, Reynolds and Brantley are just morons. Jeez, I just realized that Kruk could actually almost pass for Curly.

BB, the little chimp with the baseball bat that you're using for an avatar is probably more entertaining, and quite possibly more knowledgeable than any of the aforementioned.

Hey now, don't diss the chimp! :-b

But seriously, everybody knows the BT crew is a bunch of useless clogheads, so why not put somebody on who's lighthearted about it. At least Kruk can laugh at himself. Reynolds and Brantley are always up there, "Blah blah I'm so important, I like hearing myself talk". They take themselves too seriously, and Krukkers is a breathe of fresh air (for me at least).

I don't know whether that's an indictment of the aforementioned duo or an endorsment of Kruk...probably a little of both.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:32 am

GiantFan666 wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:If one-nut Kruk wants to pull for Counsell, I fully support that decision. At least he's an entertaining moron. I'm pretty sure they could wheel out a corpse, put glasses and a Red Sox hat on it, and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and Peter Gammons.

8-o

Now thats just silly... We all know that Gammons has been dead for 10 years and they just replaced him w/ an audio-animatronic from Disneyland!

If you haven't visited this page

http://humbug.baseballtoaster.com/

you should...especially on the left hand side about halfway down, click on the "Random Diamond Notes Generator"
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers