Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prior throws simulated game

Postby ActionHero » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:52 pm

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb

Prior takes big step with simulated game
Righty throws well in four-inning session at Yankee Stadium
By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Chicago Cubs pitcher Mark Prior's rehab took a major step forward on Friday when he threw about 60 pitches over four innings in a simulated game Friday at Yankee Stadium.
Prior, out since being struck on the right elbow by a line drive on May 27, faced teammates Jose Macias, Jason Dubois and Jerry Hairston Jr. in the early session.

"Mark threw the ball well and it was a pleasant surprise, actually," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "He's pretty sharp. You have to wait a couple days to see if there's soreness in that area. We were pleasantly surprised to see his velocity and his sharpness and his breaking ball, and just the fact that he's on the mound."

The Cubs decided to have Prior throw after he felt no discomfort from his throwing session on Tuesday.

"There's never been a timetable because nobody really knows a timetable," Prior said. "We're evaluating the day after workouts to see where we're at and where I'm at, obviously, and then have discussions as to what our next step would be. That's what we did Wednesday, and we made the determination that if we could use the field today, we'd try to throw to some hitters and get a workout that way.

"For the most part, I thought I threw well," Prior said.

Baker also refused to put a timetable on when Prior could come back.

"I'm holding that in reserve," Baker said. "We're happy to get him on the mound, period."

Macias thinks Prior is ready.

"He was sharp, he's got good stuff," said Macias, who did hit a home run off Prior. "I didn't think the fastball would be that hard, but it jumped. And the off-speed, the curveball, wow. It was good. He'll be back soon."

Prior said he'll know more on Saturday after he sees how his right elbow responds to the work.

"I don't know what the so-called schedule is going to be," he said. "My arm feels good and it felt like my strength was there. Obviously, my endurance isn't there. I felt a little tired at the end. Overall, it was a good session and a good workout."

This was Prior's first visit to Yankee Stadium. Maybe it's fitting he threw here. Prior was drafted by the Yankees in 1998 in the supplemental round between the first and second rounds of the June draft. Obviously, he did not sign with New York.

"I checked it out," he said. "There are pretty cool monuments and stuff out there. When you first walk out, it's like what you see on TV. But when you get on the mound, it's just a mound and just a plate. Especially when there are no fans -- it's like being almost at HoHoKam [Park in Mesa, Ariz.]. I'm sure when the fans fill up, you'll get more of a sense as to what it's like to play here."
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ActionHero » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:04 am

The news keeps getting better & better! ;-D

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

Prior may skip rehab; Williams 5th starter

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

June 19, 2005, 9:12 PM CDT

NEW YORK -- In a surprise move, Mark Prior may go straight from simulated games to the real thing without any minor-league rehab starts.

The Cubs are so encouraged by Prior's outing in a four-inning simulated game Friday they believe he'll be ready after one more simulated game Wednesday in Milwaukee. That would put Prior on schedule to return around the same time as Kerry Wood—at the end of June.

Wood, who made his second rehab start at Triple-A Iowa on Sunday night, is expected to make one more start for Iowa on Friday.

Though the Cubs have not given any timetable, the possibility of both Prior and Wood returning to the rotation during the June 28-30 series against Milwaukee at Wrigley Field appears good.

Meanwhile, the Cubs made it official Sunday, naming Iowa right-hander Jerome Williams as their fifth starter for Tuesday's game at Milwaukee.

"He's a guy with big-league experience, he's hungry, he knows how to pitch, he's a good athlete, and hopefully he can come give us a jolt," manager Dusty Baker said.

Williams, acquired from San Francisco in the LaTroy Hawkins deal, was 1-1 in four starts at Iowa with a 2.22 earned-run average.

"His velocity is working its way up, he's pitching well, he's working hard on his conditioning and is in better shape than when we got him," general manager Jim Hendry said. "It just seems like the right alternative."

Hendry wouldn't say whether the Cubs would prefer to keep Williams in the bullpen when Wood and Prior return or keep him starting for Iowa.

"I know he's been a starter most or all of his career," Hendry said. "We'll just have to evaluate after seeing how he throws.

"We'll have some good decisions to make when Wood and Prior come back. With the guys that are pitching well now, maybe Jerome can add to that."
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ActionHero » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:05 am

The news keeps getting better & better! ;-D

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

Prior may skip rehab; Williams 5th starter

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

June 19, 2005, 9:12 PM CDT

NEW YORK -- In a surprise move, Mark Prior may go straight from simulated games to the real thing without any minor-league rehab starts.

The Cubs are so encouraged by Prior's outing in a four-inning simulated game Friday they believe he'll be ready after one more simulated game Wednesday in Milwaukee. That would put Prior on schedule to return around the same time as Kerry Wood—at the end of June.

Wood, who made his second rehab start at Triple-A Iowa on Sunday night, is expected to make one more start for Iowa on Friday.

Though the Cubs have not given any timetable, the possibility of both Prior and Wood returning to the rotation during the June 28-30 series against Milwaukee at Wrigley Field appears good.

Meanwhile, the Cubs made it official Sunday, naming Iowa right-hander Jerome Williams as their fifth starter for Tuesday's game at Milwaukee.

"He's a guy with big-league experience, he's hungry, he knows how to pitch, he's a good athlete, and hopefully he can come give us a jolt," manager Dusty Baker said.

Williams, acquired from San Francisco in the LaTroy Hawkins deal, was 1-1 in four starts at Iowa with a 2.22 earned-run average.

"His velocity is working its way up, he's pitching well, he's working hard on his conditioning and is in better shape than when we got him," general manager Jim Hendry said. "It just seems like the right alternative."

Hendry wouldn't say whether the Cubs would prefer to keep Williams in the bullpen when Wood and Prior return or keep him starting for Iowa.

"I know he's been a starter most or all of his career," Hendry said. "We'll just have to evaluate after seeing how he throws.

"We'll have some good decisions to make when Wood and Prior come back. With the guys that are pitching well now, maybe Jerome can add to that."
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:30 am

Great! ;-D

Thanks for the updates!
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VWells4Prez » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:29 pm

Wow, Maggs, Harden and Prior are all coming back now!

All I have to do is revitalize Nomar and Benitiz and i'm set.
VWells4Prez Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Steelers Rule » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:40 pm

baseball tonight just said he may pitch sunday vs the white sox 8-o
Steelers Rule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:19 am

VWells4Prez wrote:Wow, Maggs, Harden and Prior are all coming back now!

All I have to do is revitalize Nomar and Benitiz and i'm set.

I have Maggs, Harden, and Prior as well....

I can't wait to send out Peavy, Prior, Harden, and Penny against my opponents every week again }:-)
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates