Hackers Breach 40 Million Credit Card Accounts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hackers Breach 40 Million Credit Card Accounts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hackers Breach 40 Million Credit Card Accounts

Postby JTWood » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:47 am

Well, I can say that I am more than slightly worried about this as I have both a MasterCard and a Visa.

CNN Money wrote:NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A security breach has occurred at a third-party processor of payment card transactions that affects over 40 million card accounts, Mastercard International said Friday.

Of the cards involved, 13.9 million were MasterCard-branded cards, which include Maestro and Cirrus, and 22 million were Visa cards, said Visa spokeswoman Rhonda Bentz.

The breach took place at the Tucson office of CardSystems Solutions, which processes transactions on behalf of financial institutions and merchants. CardSystems said in a statement that it identified the breach on May 22 and contacted the FBI the next day.

Mastercard learned the final details of the breach this week, according to spokeswoman Jessica Antle. "It looks like a hacker gained access to CardSystems' database and installed a script that acts like a virus, searching out certain types of card transaction data."

"We're working with the FBI. It's a criminal investigation," Visa's Bentz said, noting that CardSystems "was out of compliance" with Visa's security standards when the breach occurred and that Visa would review whether it would continue to work with CardSystems when the case is resolved.

CardSystems said it has taken measures since discovery of the breach to enhance its security procedures.

Mastercard said in a statement that it is giving CardSystems "a limited amount of time to demonstrate compliance with Mastercard security requirements."

FBI spokesman Rex Tomb couldn't give more details about the case, saying only that "we're looking into it. But there's nothing more we can say at this time. It's a pending case."

MasterCard said it is giving member financial institutions the specific card account numbers that may have been compromised.

The credit card information exposed in the breach did not include any Social Security numbers, birth dates or other highly sensitive personal data, Mastercard said.

Consumers receive protection if unauthorized charges are made on their credit cards. MasterCard and Visa, for instance, have zero-liability policies.

Bentz said Visa will be monitoring the accounts closely and should know before cardholders if there has been any fraudulent activity. Thus far, she said, "We haven't seen anything outside of the norm."

If ever you notice unauthorized charges on your credit card, you should notify your card issuer immediately.

The breach reported by Mastercard on Friday is one in a long line of breaches reported this year by consumer data aggregators like ChoicePoint, retailers such as DSW and corporations such as Time Warner, parent company of CNN/Money.com.

Rather than a rash of illicit activity, experts say, the slew of reports may have more to do with companies wishing to protect themselves in the wake of a California state law requiring businesses to notify its customers when their personal information has been exposed in a security breach.

Illinois this week became the second state to pass such a law.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:38 pm

:-o :-o :-o

Well, their fraud prevention will probably kick into high gear for the foreseeable future. Just keep an eye on your statements....

It aggravates me that it was a third-party whose security failed. Bloody contractors.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:54 pm

Yikes. :-o
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:39 pm

Wow, that sucks...... :-? You would think that these major companies wouldn't let things like this happen. :-o
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby eftda » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:57 pm

Good thing I have 57 bucks on my card. :-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:47 am

I don't see any of my banks mentioned but I'll be checking my bills pretty close the next few months. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:51 am

eftda wrote:Good thing I have 57 bucks on my card. :-D

Between the two of us, we might be able to buy a tank of gas.

:-b
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk