Doesn't get much better than Clemens - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Doesn't get much better than Clemens

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Doesn't get much better than Clemens

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:34 am

this guy is unbelievable. On any other team, he'd have 10-12 Ws. His ERA is all the way down to 1.56... To think that most people wrote him off at the beginning of the season. Those of us who drafted him are laughing all the way to the bank. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TB13 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:51 am

I do not see how anyone could have written him off. Why retire? He's been as good as any pitcher in the league. Hitters are not even sniffing him. At this point, why not go for 400 wins?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Doesn't get much better than Clemens

Postby JTWood » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:25 pm

Yoda wrote:this guy is unbelievable. On any other team, he'd have 10-12 Ws. His ERA is all the way down to 1.56... To think that most people wrote him off at the beginning of the season. Those of us who drafted him are laughing all the way to the bank. ;-D

I agree with the 10-12 wins thing, but you also have to admit that in just about any other division, his ERA would probably be a good deal higher. The NL Central is pretty bad.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby silverZ » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:06 pm

I traded him for ol. perez 3 weeks into the season. By far the worst trade i've ever made. :-P
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Octavian » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:44 pm

silverZ wrote:I traded him for ol. perez 3 weeks into the season. By far the worst trade i've ever made. :-P

Yeah, you pretty much deserve to come in last now. Way to be guy! ;-D As for Rocket, whoever wrote him off was pretty damn stupid... I drafted him, Roy Halladay, Dontrelle Willis and Mark Buehrle and announced no one would match their combined numbers in my league... I was laughed at...

...now I laugh.
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Doesn't get much better than Clemens

Postby TB13 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:46 pm

JTWood wrote: The NL Central is pretty bad.

But the NL Central is full of bandbox stadiums.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IvanX » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:09 pm

I drafted Clemens and then picked up Willis in the first week, since no one else drafted him. I couldn't be happier. (I've got Beckett, Garland, Patterson, and Escobar/E. Santana rounding out the rest, none of whom have given me anything to complain about.) It has been awesome.

Some weeks Clemens gives me a Monday with like 0.00 ERA and 0.76 WHIP and then I just saw screw K and W, and the other four stats (L, HR, ERA, WHIP) are guaranteed just by sitting on my starting pitchers (Yahoo only requires 7 IP per week).

The only downside to this approach is that if a closer screws up, it can have major consequences with so few IP, but then it's usually easy to fix with a few more good closes, or I can always start the rest of my pitchers at that point. This week, my opponent doesn't even have closers, so once I got a save I stopped using them too. There's nothing he can do -- my ERA is 1.50 and WHIP is 0.92.

Would not be possible to do this sort of thing without Clemens (and Willis) being so reliably awesome. In fact it was Willis who gave me this week's great start -- and I gnashed my teeth and benched Clemens yesterday because I figured if he even gives up two runs it inflates my ERA. But of course he did awesome, as usual.
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Big Papi » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:51 pm

Yup, I'm loving Clemens. Traded Manny/W. Taveras for Clemens/J. Guillen a few weeks back, since then Taveras has been a FA and I am reaping the benefits ;-D

I can't sell Clemens to anyone though, kinda weird. I couldn't even get Delgado for him, the owner thought they were too far off in value...did I mention this is a league tilted TOWARDS pitching :-?
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bd3521 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:58 pm

SominaDei wrote: I drafted him, Roy Halladay, Dontrelle Willis and Mark Buehrle and announced no one would match their combined numbers in my league... I was laughed at...
...now I laugh.

Damn let me borrow your crystal ball :-D
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:26 pm

Clemens has been AMAZING this year. I don't think he's given up a single earned run on the road.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers