Josh Beckett Crisis, please help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Beckett Crisis, please help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dodger Blue » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:58 pm

Phantom Tag wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:
Mills13 wrote:Which guy should I go after out of those three you mentioned?

Out of those you mentioned, I like Weaver the best.

Weaver might be the worst pitcher on that whole list

Dodger Stadium can't even help him

Then you truely know nothing about baseball to say this.

Harang is my pick.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:17 pm

Phantom Tag wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:

Weaver is nowhere close to the worst pitcher on that list. Even with those very pedestrian ERA and WHIP numbers, he still owns a 3/1 K/BB ratio. He's striking out the same number of batters as he did last year, and he's walking less. His LD% is almost exactly the same as last year. He's got a 1.13 GB/FB ratio, which is even better than his ratio last year. The only thing that's worse this year is his HR/9, and that's more than likely going to drop to right around 1 (his career HR/9 is 0.9)

Weaver posted a 4.01 ERA last year and was 2nd behind Randy Johnson in total quality starts, and if he keeps up these peripheral numbers, he should at least meet his 2004 numbers (if not improve on them) from here on out. He pitches in Dodger Stadium, and he's got a decent offense behind him with a quality bullpen (even without Gagne). Given all those factors, I like Weaver the best out of everybody on that list.

:-B
Last edited by beltrans_boy on Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:20 pm

Harang is a close #2 behind Weaver on that list, but that BB total is a little high for my liking. He also pitches on the Reds, which means wins are going to be a mighty scarce commodity. I like Weaver's track record more. He was one of the more solid pitchers in the NL last year, and he's improving on all his peripheral numbers, except the HRs which will drop.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:09 pm

IvanX wrote:It's probably not bankable advice, but since it's a temporary fill, I went out and scooped up Ervin Santana. He's a completely unproven AA rookie, but he has been awesome his last two outings. Just if you're looking for something off the beaten path...

If he is available, I'd definitely go with the highly touted and talented Santana as well. A guy like Weaver is pretty much a known commodity, and he is very average.

I would think in an active league he would be picked up already. I'm looking forward to his starts as much as I am my ace's.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mills13 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:11 pm

I just picked up Santana although I heard he might be moved down when Escobar comes back. We'll see what happens though.
Mills13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reznorsboy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:18 pm

I agree that Weaver is prolly the best option on the list. Rusch is also better than alot of the Cub haters on here will tell you. He got lit up today against the Yankees but they are playing alot better. Rusch has been consistently good this year.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:22 pm

he said hes in an 8 teamer, not a 10 team league.

and if your pitching consists of beckett, rusch and zito in an 8 team league, becketts blister is the least of your concerns. :-o
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby IvanX » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:56 pm

Mills13 wrote:I just picked up Santana although I heard he might be moved down when Escobar comes back. We'll see what happens though.

Probably, but there's at least a 50% chance that Escobar's going to elect for surgery and be out for two months at a minimum, making Santana a good bet. And if he is back sooner, so what, you can always pick up one of those dudes you were considering anyway.

I think you made the right choice ;-D
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:40 pm

Phantom Tag wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:

I just thought I'd bump this.

Since this thread, Weaver has pitched 26.1 innings with an ERA of 2.07 with 15 k's and 5 bb's, and he's given up only 1 HR in the process. Oh yeah, and he was pitching @CWS, @LAA, @COL in 3 of the 4 starts.

;-D
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:41 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 561)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers