Dan Haren: Is it time? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dan Haren: Is it time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dan Haren: Is it time?

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:34 pm

I'm sure that there must be a few posts on this guy, as he is an intriguing prospect in most fantasy leagues. However, I couldn't find anything up-to-date, so I thought I'd start a thread of my own. Forgive me if I am beating a dead horse.

With that said, what is everyone's opinion of this guy? I had him on my radar early on as a major breakout candidate, but began to pour cold water on that idea after he got thumped around by virtually everyone, en route to a dismal 1-7 start (perhaps most disturbing were his high walk totals which usually scare me off pretty fast). Nevertheless, he has now won his last 3 decisions and reportedly looked good doing it.

I am reminded of last year and how I had my sights on Mark Teixeira, but then forgot about him after his cold start. Someone else snagged him and...well, we all know how that one turned out. Could Haren be a similar (even if not quite as dramatic) turnaround candidate this year? In short, is he ready to step up to his talent now or will he be an inconsistent headache? I've got Beckett heading to the DL and am seriously thinking about taking a flyer on this kid. Thoughts?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:43 pm

Haren's upside isn't nearly as high as Teixeira's was last year. I just picked Haren up in my 10-team money league. I think he's a good option from here on out. I wouldn't start him against any powerhouse teams (or teams that walk a lot), but for now, he's a safe bet.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:51 pm

He's got two starts next week - Seattle and SF are struggling right now. That combined with the last two strong starts was enough for me...I added him to my weekly points league team. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby colt4523 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:30 am

I picked him up to replace Wolf. He has some good matchups coming up so maybe he can keep his winning streak going.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby bd3521 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:49 am

Mercer Boy wrote:He's got two starts next week - Seattle and SF are struggling right now. That combined with the last two strong starts was enough for me...I added him to my weekly points league team. ;-D

Good point ;-D
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:20 pm

We should also consider that the Haren's last three strong starts (where he appeared to be turning a corner) were against Tampa Bay twice, and the Mets. Not exactly the strongest offensive teams this season. That said, I believe Haren is a solid option in mixed leagues from here on out. As another poster mentioned, just don't start him against offensive powerhouses and teams that walk alot. Also, his inability to hold runners and Kendall's inability to throw them out is a worry, although lately they seem to be doing a better job at that.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby tomkatt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:23 am

I sure hope it's Haren time, as it's definetely not Bedard, Beckett, or Hudson time. !+)

I had to pick Haren and Harang up just so I'd have something resembling a pitching staff left. Not good.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:19 am

tomkatt wrote:I sure hope it's Haren time, as it's definetely not Bedard, Beckett, or Hudson time. !+)

I had to pick Haren and Harang up just so I'd have something resembling a pitching staff left. Not good.

Ouch!! But this is a great point, that Haren is probably a great pick-up for fantasy teams that need extra help b/c of pitching injuries (Like all of us!! Thanks For the injuries John Thompson, Erik Bedard, and Prior ;-D )
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Onyx » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:37 am

I'm giving him a shot for similar reasons (Beckett, Hudson, Od. Perez & Wood ). :-[
I'm hopefully going to be able to cycle between Haren, Millwood & Pineiro as FA pickups until my starters return. :-?
Onyx
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:32 am

Yeah, with Prior and Harden still down I'm desperate right now. :-o
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Next