Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby orakana » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:27 pm

The problem with Joe Morgan is the same as most annoucers they think they know everything. Morgan does know a lot about the game but he can be condescending at times and annoying. At least one thing you can say about him is he isn't biased toward the Reds whcih is suprising.

I think the problem with McCarver is like it was said before he just makes things up to fill in time, if you don't have anything to say don't say anything and just let the game go on. Either way if he'd get over his crush on Jeter and realize theres other teams out there he'd be a lot better, for a national announcer it seems like he's doing games for YES Network.

And as for his sidekick Joe Buck, those Bud commercials he did last year pumped up his ego to make him think he's the best announcer on the planet.

As far as who I'd like to listen to, I don't mind Gary Thorne, Steve Stone, Chip Carey, and Jon Miller. They aren't to bad and they call a good game.
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:39 pm

reiser wrote:
Big Papi's Pimps wrote: Side Note: What made this even funnier was the fact that Joe Buck is just as bad as McCarver. Only he'd bias towards the Cardinals since both he and his father did their play-by-play.

man isn't that the truth...if you get MLB extra innings you will get SICK listening to Buck do the Cards games.

McCarver is just kind of a windbag, and every year means him and Buck during the WS. bleh. he and Morgan are fairly knowledgeable, but they really are from a different era of the game, McCarver in particular. I think Morgan is more enjoyable because Jon Miller is just a baseball treat, as close as the game has to a Keith Jackson.

That is right on.....Jon Miller is as enjoyable as Joe Morgan makes me hit mute everytime.....

Can't we just clone Vin Scully? I know he's not for everyone, but he comes without an annoying partner! :-D
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dice » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:42 pm

Actual transcript of Tim McCarver going ga-ga over Derek Jeter

I would kill for this on tape.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:43 pm

bigh0rt wrote:The fact that he never shuts up and appears to love the sound of his own voice is what gets me the most. And, as was noted, his love affair with Derek Jeter. Now don't get me wrong, I hold DJ very high in terms of players who are deserving, but Timmy just gives him sloppy ones whenever the camera cuts to him.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here yet or not, but I don't like Joe Morgan much more. I'd swear at times he's watching a different game on some monitor in the booth, and not the one being broadcasted through my TV.

The Yankees/Cubs game last Saturday was broadcast on Fox, and if memory serves (I wasn't at my sober-est) McCarver and Buck were joking about how much they love Jeter. I think McCarver at one point went off on one of those "He's got calm eyes" routines, and Buck called him out on it and they both went on chuckling about how they go off into space when they're singing Jeter's praises. After that point, any time the camera was on Jeter (and ESPECIALLY after he hit his grand slam) they'd talk about going to "La La Land" or whatever phrase they were using, in the middle of developing tele-chubbies over him. I'm a Yankee fan, and it made me want to retch. :-P

Edit: And the above link is actually part of what I was talking about. There was additional blathering over it later in the game, too. Cringe-inducing, to say the least.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:51 pm

That link is hysterical.

At the risk of going off-topic here and having the hamster eat me, I must add that my list of announcers I wish would all be locked in a room together in a fight to the death includes Joe Theisman and Bill Walton. Along with Morgan, McCarver, and Buck, they're about as bad as bad gets for me.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers