Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:44 pm

Mostly, I hate him because he just never shuts up. He doesn't even watch the game, he just keeps talking. It's like "dude. it's 3-2 with two outs, bases loaded, bottom of the ninth, tie game, game 7 of the world series. There's plenty of drama built right in. Shut the f*ck up and let us watch the game!"

It's great to have banter on the slow parts, but shut up when something important is going on.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IvanX » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:35 pm

rainman23 wrote:Interesting. I could have sworn that was Joe Morgan you were describing. But you didn't say he repeated himself 15 times, so maybe it's not him.

Hahahahahah -- I can barely listen to Joe Morgan because of this. It is almost incredible. I sometimes have to mute it. Otherwise I'll count how many times he repeats a single (and usually banal) idea. Up go my fingers, one, two...five, six. It annoys me even more than McCarver, and that's saying something.
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IvanX » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:55 pm

noseeum wrote:Mostly, I hate him because he just never shuts up.

That's certainly why I hate him. The dude just never shuts up. Not only that, he's in love with his voice and himself. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else, and that he's god's gift to announcing, and so he plays armchair manager in annoying ways -- not in smart analyst ways, just like "I'm smarter." But he's just wrong a lot of the time, and will repeat his wrong ideas, Morgan-style. And he will never miss an opportunity to tie what is happening into his own baseball past.

The moment when I realized I couldn't stand him was during the 2002 World Series, which as an Angels fan I watched most intently. During game six -- remember, that was when the Angels were down 3 games to 2, and were trailing 5-0 in the 7th, when Scott Spiezio hit a 3-run HR and woke everyone up. Anyway, so now they were down 5-3 in the 8th, with plenty of momentum and drama and all that, and they bring out Brendan Donnelly to pitch. McCarver starts going on and on about how they should be bringing out Troy Percival, who they typically use only in save situations and who never pitched more than an inning the whole year. Why should they be doing this? "So that if they lose, they can know they lost with their best." He must have repeated this about a thousand times, so sure was he that Scioscia had made the wrong call in bringing out Donnelly (who shut them down 1-2-3 with two strikeouts). "If they lose?" McCarver was WRITING OFF the game with six outs still to go! Talk about bias! That's just not what I expect from a World Series commentator. Really lame.
IvanX Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WharfRat » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:00 pm

Next time he's announcing a game I'm watching, I am definitely playing the McCarver Drinking Game. ;-D ;-D

The McCarver Drinking Game
Here's how to play:
Get a bottle of your favorite booze and a shot glass and...

1: Drink every time Tim uses a multi-syllable word incorrectly.
2: Drink every time Tim states the obvious like it is a profound insight.
3: Drink every time Tim calls the play wrong.
4: Drink every time Tim gets a player's name wrong.
5: Drink every time one of Tim's inane comments is met with stoney silence by the other broadcasters in the booth.
My guarantee is you'll be drunk by the bottom of the 1st inning!

(from http://bobfinnan.com/TimMcCarver/tim.htm, basically just a funny rant.)
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby looptid » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:12 am

WharfRat wrote:2: Drink every time Tim states the obvious like it is a profound insight.

That is way too dangerous. McCarver graduated with honors from the John Madden School of the Obvious.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver?

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:03 pm

reynolds80 wrote:Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver?

I blame his '79 Topps card. :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:31 pm

2 things need to be said here:

1) in response to the drinking game I say scrap all your rules and do a shot everytime he says the words, "in my view." You'll be so loaded you'll be peeing tequila.

2)I hate him so much because he is in the elite brand of ex-athletes who take away jobs from hungry talented non-athletes (like myself) who are trying to make it. I do like Steve Stone though. If you ever want to hear a game with good useful analysis, listen to one of his games on ESPN and then mute Steve Phillips, or Rick Sutcliffe or whatever other bum they pair him with for co-color commentator.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaQ » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:12 pm

ultrazero wrote:
DaQ wrote:The best line of the year from McCarver came during the Subway Series. The Mets were beating the Yanks with RJ on the hill and then Koo steps into the plate. Earlier that week, Koo took four pitches and struck out, and he was out the outer edge of the batter's box. So what does McCarver have to say?

"This is the biggest give-up at bat."

Literally .1 seconds after he sid it, Koo slammed a double to right-center and McCarver and Buck were arguing back and forth. :-b

Also, Buck was saying how Koo was "such a great baserunner" right before Koo scored on Reyes' sac bunt.

That did happen, but I dont remember the arguing. I seem to recall McCarver admitting he was wrong. They were laughing about it.

Yeah - I should have said they were "playfully" arguing. :-D They were joking about it.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OaklandAces » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:16 pm

perlick29 wrote:2 things need to be said here:

1) in response to the drinking game I say scrap all your rules and do a shot everytime he says the words, "in my view." You'll be so loaded you'll be peeing tequila.

Or anytime he says "If I'm <insert any player's name>...".

I hate him so much I almost can't watch postseason baseball. :~(
OaklandAces
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:20 pm

The fact that he never shuts up and appears to love the sound of his own voice is what gets me the most. And, as was noted, his love affair with Derek Jeter. Now don't get me wrong, I hold DJ very high in terms of players who are deserving, but Timmy just gives him sloppy ones whenever the camera cuts to him.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here yet or not, but I don't like Joe Morgan much more. I'd swear at times he's watching a different game on some monitor in the booth, and not the one being broadcasted through my TV.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers