Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why does everyone hate Tim McCarver?

Postby reynolds80 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:10 pm

I've read in several places that Tim McCarver is the worst baseball analyst out there, and I'd like to know why. It's not that I disagree with those sentiments, it's just that I've never really paid enough attention to him - to me, he's just kind of "there". So if you're an Anti-McCarver, fill me in...
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:23 pm

Well, one of the things he does is give an explanation as to why something happens. Let's say a pitcher is wild on a given day. McCarver (or Dopey, as I think of him) will start talking about how it's because the pitcher's shoulder is flying open as he delivers. Then they'll show a replay, or even better, do a side-by-side comparison with a time when the pitcher's arm is NOT flying open from a different game. The two comparisons will look exactly the same - basically, Dopey is wrong about the guy's arm flying open on that given day. But as the incontrovertible evidence appears on the screen that Dopey is wrong, he'll keep talking about it like he's right. This happens all the time. He also has a way of calling a slider a curveball, or saying that a strike "obviously missed the plate" when replays show it didn't. Just stuff like that, which makes you wonder if he watches the game with his eyes open or not.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby matmat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:27 pm

WharfRat wrote:Well, one of the things he does is give an explanation as to why something happens. Let's say a pitcher is wild on a given day. McCarver (or Dopey, as I think of him) will start talking about how it's because the pitcher's shoulder is flying open as he delivers. Then they'll show a replay, or even better, do a side-by-side comparison with a time when the pitcher's arm is NOT flying open from a different game. The two comparisons will look exactly the same - basically, Dopey is wrong about the guy's arm flying open on that given day. But as the incontrovertible evidence appears on the screen that Dopey is wrong, he'll keep talking about it like he's right. This happens all the time. He also has a way of calling a slider a curveball, or saying that a strike "obviously missed the plate" when replays show it didn't. Just stuff like that, which makes you wonder if he watches the game with his eyes open or not.

so you are saying that he is vertically-intellectually challenged?
Last edited by matmat on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:29 pm

matmat wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Well, one of the things he does is give an explanation as to why something happens. Let's say a pitcher is wild on a given day. McCarver (or Dopey, as I think of him) will start talking about how it's because the pitcher's shoulder is flying open as he delivers. Then they'll show a replay, or even better, do a side-by-side comparison with a time when the pitcher's arm is NOT flying open from a different game. The two comparisons will look exactly the same - basically, Dopey is wrong about the guy's arm flying open on that given day. But as the incontrovertible evidence appears on the screen that Dopey is wrong, he'll keep talking about it like he's right. This happens all the time. He also has a way of calling a slider a curveball, or saying that a strike "obviously missed the plate" when replays show it didn't. Just stuff like that, which makes you wonder if he watches the game with his eyes open or not.

so you are saying that he is vertically and intellectually challenged?

Haha, yeah pretty much. Also horizontally, verbally and visually.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rainman23 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Interesting. I could have sworn that was Joe Morgan you were describing. But you didn't say he repeated himself 15 times, so maybe it's not him.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:20 pm

I don't really have particular examples, cause I don't watch Fox baseball during the regular season. Wait until the postseason and bump this again. I'm sure I'll have something to contribute...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:04 pm

rainman23 wrote:

Interesting. I could have sworn that was Joe Morgan you were describing. But you didn't say he repeated himself 15 times, so maybe it's not him.

Well, Morgan and McCarver do seem like doppelgangers sometimes. Actually, calling Tim McCarver a white Joe Morgan is about right, more or less.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:43 pm

he actually slept with my sister...

...damn you mccarver... :-[
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:03 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:he actually slept with my sister...

...damn you mccarver... :-[

If that is why then you must hate a great number of people... ;-7

McCarver is a senile old bat who can not remember half the player's names, will analyze things and then see the replay and quickly "rephrase" his analysis, and on the whole not really add anything interesting to a baseball broadcast.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Big Papi's Pimps » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:55 pm

He's also been accused of being bias towards the yankees. Even by his own partner, Joe Buck. In the last Yankee-Sox game they did Buck flat out told him that people hate him because he's always bias towards the Yanks. After he said it there was about 2 min. of dead silence. You could tell that McCarver was holding the cough button while he and Buck were having out right there and then. It was CLASSIC.

Pimpin' Aint Easy!!!
Big Papi's Pimps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers