Is it possible to be in first and not be the best @ this pt? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it possible to be in first and not be the best @ this pt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:35 am

H2H league? I've seen some truely terrible teams wind up the year in first place.

As to the original question:

Is it possible to be in first and not be the best @ this pt?

Yes it's possible to be in first and not have the best team. The first place team has been the best to this point, but that certainly does not mean that the first place team has the best team for the year.

If this is H2H, then toss the previous comment out the window. Any team no matter how bad can win a H2H league. From the sound of this one where every manager has two teams, I really don't see the point in playing, but that's just me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:09 am

orakana wrote:First place team in the begining of June doesn't always mean the best team.

@ this pt? Yes it does.

It could mean the manager is not handling his players well, benching the wrong guys, etc., but in general you're in first by outperforming the other teams. In H2H it may mean that the matchups work better, but IMO the bottom line is winning. The only formula that determines the best team is the standings.

The team may not finish anywhere near first at the end of the season, but then that's not @ this pt is it? B-)
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:53 am

In Roto with a max IP you might be nowhere near the best team.

One example sent to me by the 11th place team (out of 12) as to why he's going to finish 2nd (he's not, but that's neither here nor there) is as follows:

While someone might currently lead in the K's and Wins categories, they may be doing so by running up massive IP's that project to WAY over the limit for the year. Their K's and W's may be leading, but you really need to look at K/IP and Win/IP to see how they're most likely to end the season.

In the league I mentioned, the guy leading in K's and W's actually is near the bottom of the league in K/IP and W/IP...he's simply rotating 6 SP's in a league with a 1250IP max for the entire season. On the other hand, this 12th place team has only been regularly starting 2 SP's. He's actually in 1st in K/IP and W/IP even though he's currently in 9th and 10th in K's and W's. He's going to add 17 points IF he can keep this pace up when he adds SP's later in the season.

Now, there's a lot that can happen there...you're expecting things to stay that good when you add more SP's but that means you either have to find FA pitchers that can put up 8.5K/9 numbers while winning almost every start. That's a pipe dream. This guy's talking smack about how he's 'actually the 2nd place team' while he's in 11th. He's a schmuck. But you get the idea from what he sent to me - you CAN be in first and have it simply be an illusion in Roto with IP limits.

As for H2H - your team isn't necessarily the 'best' team because it's in first. Just like the team that takes first place in real baseball isn't necessarily the 'best' team. They're the team that won the most games that year. You don't win championships by being the best team...it just helps to be the best. You win championships by being good enough to make the playoffs and then good enough to win one more game than your opponent does in each playoff round. There's no extra points for blowing people out and no extra points for style. So in H2H, just as in regular baseball, sometimes the best team does NOT win. Just look at the 1990 Cincinnati Reds. :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:33 am

Wasn't it Billy Beane who said you take two months to figure out the team you have, two months to get the things you're missing?

I think there's a lot of truth there. The team that is in first now generally had some good keepers and a good draft. That team also has probably been a little lucky---few injuries, a few guys exceeded expectations, and no major crashes.

But, there's a lotta ball to play. In two of the last three seasons I found myself below 10th in our 16 team league. By late May, I thought I had a good handle on my team's major weaknesses. Through trades and pick-ups, I've always been able to improve and finish in the top 4.

The team that's in first now is likely to be in the hunt until the end. And, they may even be the best team. But, that's where understanding your own team and improving it can make your team the best team in October...and that's what matters :)
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby gws226 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:24 am

In my money league (H2H) Im in first by 5 games for more then a month now, but I definately don't have the best team. Its just been a bit of luck here and there, Felipe Lopez hits a 3 run home run, harang strikes out 10, colon pitches a complete game but loses, pods grabs 3 steals in one night........

I have not won a catergory convincingly (except strikeouts) in more then a month, haven't had a ba >.290 in 4 weeks, and one of these days Im not gonna squeck out one more run, one more rbi then my opponent its gonna all come crashing down.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:36 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Wasn't it Billy Beane who said you take two months to figure out the team you have, two months to get the things you're missing?

I think there's a lot of truth there. The team that is in first now generally had some good keepers and a good draft. That team also has probably been a little lucky---few injuries, a few guys exceeded expectations, and no major crashes.

But, there's a lotta ball to play. In two of the last three seasons I found myself below 10th in our 16 team league. By late May, I thought I had a good handle on my team's major weaknesses. Through trades and pick-ups, I've always been able to improve and finish in the top 4.

The team that's in first now is likely to be in the hunt until the end. And, they may even be the best team. But, that's where understanding your own team and improving it can make your team the best team in October...and that's what matters :)

I'm not a big Billy Beane fan, but I think this is true. I don't like trading early on in the fantasy season, because I want to see how my team does. I'm competitive in all my leagues right now (well all but one, but let's ignore that), and you have to remain active. I think the most important thing to do is to keep reading the boards, and keep playing the match-ups.

Not always about having the best players at the beginning or even 1/3rd point of the season, ya gotsa make the right pick-ups and stay active.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers