Maddux: Spit Baller? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maddux: Spit Baller?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maddux: Spit Baller?

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:13 pm

I read this on rotoworld: Mark Buehrle said yesterday that he thinks a pitcher on the Cubs uses a spitball.
''I can't get myself in trouble because he's on the North Side,'' Buehrle said. ''I don't know personally, but I'm just saying from years of experience that he's had success that he very well may be using something.'' The topic came up during a radio interview about Brendan Donnelly.

To me, he has to be accusing Maddox. His "fastball" does have a ton of movement. What do you guys think?
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:29 pm

''I don't know personally, but I'm just saying from years of experience that he's had success that he very well may be using something.''

that is pretty bush league to accuse somebody of something with out a shred of evidence to back it up.

Maddux's success came from the simple fact that he could go an entire month without walking a batter.

The comment was in poor taste from Buehrle. :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby matthew18 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:33 pm

Living in Chicago and being a baseball fan, I have come to realize one thing...The South Siders are constantly jealous of the North Siders. The Cubs get all the attention even when the White Sox are winning. The Cubs pitchers (Wood,Prior,Maddux,CZam) get all the media attention in the city and Buehrle has always had to take a backseat to them. He is obviously bitter.....and for the record, I am an unbiased Chicago fan as well, and these are simply the facts of Chicago.

I mean, Maddux has been around how long? You're telling me that this would just be coming up now in his career....shut up and pitch Buerhle, and then brag if you bring us a championship.
matthew18
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:42 pm

wrveres wrote:''I don't know personally, but I'm just saying from years of experience that he's had success that he very well may be using something.''

that is pretty bush league to accuse somebody of something with out a shred of evidence to back it up.

Maddux's success came from the simple fact that he could go an entire month without walking a batter.

The comment was in poor taste from Buehrle. :-t

If Buehrle was half the pitcher with half the class of Greg Maddux, then he would refrain from making such bs comments. I never really had much respect for him before and I have even less respect for him now. He's a joke.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AT » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:44 pm

I think I'll try to buy low on Buehrle now. Thanks.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:48 pm

I watched an interview with Buehrle on ESPNews a few weeks back and he bashed the Wrigley faithful when asked why no one shows up to CHISOX games and Wrigley is always full. His response was something like: "People around here have jobs...They're hard working people. Cubs fans just like to go to the ballpark and and get drunk." :-°
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:51 pm

In addition to having a job, (I'm always at it when I post here) I enjoy going to the ballpark and getting drunk. In fact, I'll be doing so tonight in the bronx ;-D Thanks Mark
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gabenterprises » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:18 pm

AT, it seems we're on the site at the same time (they put a computer in the classroom where I teach; big mistake) and I'm so convinced you look like Posada if I met him I'd expect him to talk to me about the cafe.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sammyfan711 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:25 pm

Joe Morgan accused Maddux of the same thing a few weeks ago; he was bashed all over the place for making such a comment.

A local sports radio personality here in Chicago brought up a good point in Maddux's defense: over the course of his ML career he has pitched for the Braves and the Cubs, two of the most televised teams in MLB. It would be extremely difficult hiding the foreign substance from the nationwide audience for so many years.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers