Can Greinke turn his season around? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can Greinke turn his season around?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can Greinke turn his season around?

Postby El Gaupo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:13 am

I don't think anyone ws expecting alot of wins. but his era and whip..yikes

anybody seen him pitch lately?
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 576
Joined: 4 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can Greinke turn his season around?

Postby El Guapo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:50 am

El Gaupo wrote:I don't think anyone ws expecting alot of wins. but his era and whip..yikes

anybody seen him pitch lately?


So El Guapo finally meets his evil twin "El Gaupo!" I was wondering when this day would come...

...together we...
burned the village
Burned the Village!!!...and
raped the horses
Raped the horses!!!...and
we rode off on the women
We rode off on the women!!!...and
we pruned...
Pruned.....
the hedges....
Hedges...
of many small villages
Of many small villages....Who the hell are you????"


I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 77
Joined: 26 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tiger spit » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:20 am

lol. funny movie :-B
Image
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 558
Joined: 22 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: barnegat , nj

Re: Can Greinke turn his season around?

Postby El Gaupo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:56 pm

El Guapo wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:I don't think anyone ws expecting alot of wins. but his era and whip..yikes

anybody seen him pitch lately?


So El Guapo finally meets his evil twin "El Gaupo!" I was wondering when this day would come...

...together we...
burned the village
Burned the Village!!!...and
raped the horses
Raped the horses!!!...and
we rode off on the women
We rode off on the women!!!...and
we pruned...
Pruned.....
the hedges....
Hedges...
of many small villages
Of many small villages....Who the hell are you????"


I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!



It's not easy being " in famous" :-)
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 576
Joined: 4 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can Greinke turn his season around?

Postby El Gaupo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:57 pm

El Guapo wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:I don't think anyone ws expecting alot of wins. but his era and whip..yikes

anybody seen him pitch lately?


So El Guapo finally meets his evil twin "El Gaupo!" I was wondering when this day would come...

...together we...
burned the village
Burned the Village!!!...and
raped the horses
Raped the horses!!!...and
we rode off on the women
We rode off on the women!!!...and
we pruned...
Pruned.....
the hedges....
Hedges...
of many small villages
Of many small villages....Who the hell are you????"


I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!



It's not easy being " in famous" :-)
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 576
Joined: 4 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:01 pm

Los Guapos aside, I believe Greinke will turn it around this season. He's got a proven track record. But he has been horrible, and is really getting hit hard the last couple starts. Again, has anyone seen him pitch?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1518
(Past Year: 92)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:39 am

I didn't understand why people looked at Greinke as an option before the season and I understand it less now. Proven track record? I'm assuming that the "track record" includes minor league stats, because the only track record he has in the majors is a season mediocrity. Factor in the fact that he is pitching for maybe the worst team in major league baseball and you have yourself an extremely poor fantasy option at starting pitcher. He is strictly a spot starter unless your league is truly huge. If he's being held onto for keeper purposes, he should be riding your bench, where he belongs.
Image
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 948
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:38 pm

bselig wrote:I didn't understand why people looked at Greinke as an option before the season and I understand it less now.


Why would someone look to Greinke as an option this year? If I'm not mistaken, many in this forum were comparing him to both Harden and Bonderman before this season, in terms of potential. And why not? Last year he had a 1.17 WHIP and a 100:26 K : BB. If you don't see that as indicators of success, I don't know what is.


bselig wrote:Proven track record? I'm assuming that the "track record" includes minor league stats, because the only track record he has in the majors is a season mediocrity.



In what way was last year's performance mediocre? If you're talking about wins, then you are correct. He only had 8. But I don't think most managers who drafted Greinke expected a ton of wins when they drafted him. They did expect great ratios and a decent amount of K's. And yes, I was talking about his minor league performances when I was referring to his track record. I know many posters here do not consider minor league performance as a very good indicator of major league success, but I believe it is worth considering that Greinke has pitched well at all levels. He's also a very level headed and mature pitcher who WILL get out of this rut. The kid is only 21 years old, and he's bound to go through some rough patches at this age.

bselig wrote:Factor in the fact that he is pitching for maybe the worst team in major league baseball and you have yourself an extremely poor fantasy option at starting pitcher. He is strictly a spot starter unless your league is truly huge. If he's being held onto for keeper purposes, he should be riding your bench, where he belongs.


You have some great points here. What hasn't been mentioned is that earlier in the year, when he was pitching well, he was receiving some of the worst run support in the league. Some of that has to do with KC's paltry offense but much of it was just plain bad luck. Undeniably, Greinke has been pitching absolutely horrid lately, and as you mentioned, he should obviously be riding the pine on all fantasy rosters until he pitches himself out of it. He's worth holding onto in deeper leagues, but if I had him in a 10 teamer with shallow rosters, leave him on the WW. I agree that he just doesn't provide the W's or K's to warrant a roster spot in a league like that, especially considering his latest performances. I own him in one league - a 12 team keeper. I've dropped him in my 10 team H2H.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1518
(Past Year: 92)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Gaupo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:59 pm

West wrote:
bselig wrote:I didn't understand why people looked at Greinke as an option before the season and I understand it less now.


Why would someone look to Greinke as an option this year? If I'm not mistaken, many in this forum were comparing him to both Harden and Bonderman before this season, in terms of potential. And why not? Last year he had a 1.17 WHIP and a 100:26 K : BB. If you don't see that as indicators of success, I don't know what is.


bselig wrote:Proven track record? I'm assuming that the "track record" includes minor league stats, because the only track record he has in the majors is a season mediocrity.



In what way was last year's performance mediocre? If you're talking about wins, then you are correct. He only had 8. But I don't think most managers who drafted Greinke expected a ton of wins when they drafted him. They did expect great ratios and a decent amount of K's. And yes, I was talking about his minor league performances when I was referring to his track record. I know many posters here do not consider minor league performance as a very good indicator of major league success, but I believe it is worth considering that Greinke has pitched well at all levels. He's also a very level headed and mature pitcher who WILL get out of this rut. The kid is only 21 years old, and he's bound to go through some rough patches at this age.

bselig wrote:Factor in the fact that he is pitching for maybe the worst team in major league baseball and you have yourself an extremely poor fantasy option at starting pitcher. He is strictly a spot starter unless your league is truly huge. If he's being held onto for keeper purposes, he should be riding your bench, where he belongs.


You have some great points here. What hasn't been mentioned is that earlier in the year, when he was pitching well, he was receiving some of the worst run support in the league. Some of that has to do with KC's paltry offense but much of it was just plain bad luck. Undeniably, Greinke has been pitching absolutely horrid lately, and as you mentioned, he should obviously be riding the pine on all fantasy rosters until he pitches himself out of it. He's worth holding onto in deeper leagues, but if I had him in a 10 teamer with shallow rosters, leave him on the WW. I agree that he just doesn't provide the W's or K's to warrant a roster spot in a league like that, especially considering his latest performances. I own him in one league - a 12 team keeper. I've dropped him in my 10 team H2H.

One of the best posts i've read in a long time. ;-D
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 576
Joined: 4 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact