100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I need advice...quickly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:03 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:If not, exclude it from the application.

As a past manager of a few businesses, this is one thing I would suggest you never do. It's not hard, and actually normal, for employers to pull a past work history on new hires and/or new employees. Intentionally leaving off a job on your application can either stop you from getting the new job, or get you fired if you have already been hired. It makes you look dishonest and you knowingly falsified documents. Not the best way to start, or try to get a new job. I wouldn't suggest trying this.

Understood and agreed under normal circumstances. I was just saying that certain jobs don't check squat. I don't know what type of background check they do in a supermarket.

I agree that some jobs don't check much on background. As to a supermarket, it depends on what position you're applying for. A cashier has to be bonded, so that's one common spot where they pull an employment history.

Just be careful if you leave a job off your resume. ;-)

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is that big of a deal when you are 16 and working at a grocery store for a summer job. Resumes really don't come into play until college years, and leaving a job after a few weeks when you are a kid is fairly common. Jobs just don't work out.

On that note, leaving out a job as trivial as a supermarket for a month or two over the summer is done quite often, to leave room for more meaningful achievements. So while it may be possible to find employment information, I don't think it will necessary be looked on so negatively considering it's just a passing job for some extra cash.

Maybe I'm wrong, and you surely have the inside information here, but I do think I have a point. I worked at Chucky Cheese for 2 weeks when I was 15 and they treated me like crap. I quit, and I can't really see that making a difference now, when I'm looking for a real job, 7 years later. My resume is full of meaningful work experience, not some job that didn't work out when I was 15.

Just my 2 cents. Am I that far off, Mad?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:22 am

pokerplaya wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't think this is that big of a deal when you are 16 and working at a grocery store for a summer job. Resumes really don't come into play until college years, and leaving a job after a few weeks when you are a kid is fairly common. Jobs just don't work out.

On that note, leaving out a job as trivial as a supermarket for a month or two over the summer is done quite often, to leave room for more meaningful achievements. So while it may be possible to find employment information, I don't think it will necessary be looked on so negatively considering it's just a passing job for some extra cash.

Maybe I'm wrong, and you surely have the inside information here, but I do think I have a point. I worked at Chucky Cheese for 2 weeks when I was 15 and they treated me like crap. I quit, and I can't really see that making a difference now, when I'm looking for a real job, 7 years later. My resume is full of meaningful work experience, not some job that didn't work out when I was 15.

Nah, several years down the road it's not as big of a deal as it will be when he applies for his next job. That's what he's got to think about right now. He can't think 7 years from now. He will need a job when he gets back from the trip. Say he quits, goes on the trip, now has to find another job. When he applies for a new job when he gets back, there's no good way around the past job. Either he takes his chances and lies about not having a job before, hoping they won't check, or he tells the truth and the truth looks bad. Either way, it doesn't look good.

I didn't say he'd be screwed for the rest of his life or anything. :-D All I said was that it might make getting his next job a bit difficult, and that's what he needs to be thinking about. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:28 am

Madison wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't think this is that big of a deal when you are 16 and working at a grocery store for a summer job. Resumes really don't come into play until college years, and leaving a job after a few weeks when you are a kid is fairly common. Jobs just don't work out.

Nah, several years down the road it's not as big of a deal as it will be when he applies for his next job. That's what he's got to think about right now. He can't think 7 years from now. He will need a job when he gets back from the trip. Say he quits, goes on the trip, now has to find another job. When he applies for a new job when he gets back, there's no good way around the past job. Either he takes his chances and lies about not having a job before, hoping they won't check, or he tells the truth and the truth looks bad. Either way, it doesn't look good.

I didn't say he'd be screwed for the rest of his life or anything. :-D All I said was that it might make getting his next job a bit difficult, and that's what he needs to be thinking about. ;-)

I guess you are right. A resume might not be that big of a deal at this point, but you are definitely right.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:02 am

FYI.......When I said resume in this instance, I was basically just referring to a list of work experience that you put on your application. I figured that they wouldn't need an actual resume for a grocery store.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby eftda » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:18 am

Madison, how do they check your past jobs that you dont put on your application?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:39 pm

eftda wrote:Madison, how do they check your past jobs that you dont put on your application?

W-4s, if I'm not mistaken.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:35 pm

eftda wrote:Madison, how do they check your past jobs that you dont put on your application?

All I had to do was send the applicant's complete name and social security number to a company we used (forgot the name of it, sorry) and they sent me back a complete employment history. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:28 pm

Update? :-)

theskaboss wrote:I'm going to ask people to cover for me, but for some reason i really doubt there will be any takers...

By the way, I'd probably just bribe someone to cover, be it with an offer to buy lunch or something or with cash. Whatever that winds up costing you, it'll be a whole lot less than $325.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk