I need advice...quickly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I need advice...quickly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I need advice...quickly

Postby theskaboss » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:08 am

I started a job at a grocery store two weeks ago. From day one (june 6) I told my boss I would be unavailable from the 20th-25th for a trip with my church group. Last tuesday (june 14) i reminded him and he told me to fill out a sheet requesting time off. That is the first time I had ever heard of the sheet, and as it turns out, if the sheet is not filled out 10 days before the first day you want off, they dont give it to you...

Needless to say they wont let me go, and i have already paid the $325 for the trip...So I either continue working and take 3 more weeks to pay off the $325, or I go on the trip, quit my job, and look for work elsewhere...

I don't like the idea of quitting two weeks in when I finished all the paperwork 2 days ago, but I also dont like the idea of throwing away $325 on a trip I dont even end up going on becuase my boss forgot to tell me about the sheet on the 6th...

What do I do!?!?!? :-o
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:28 am

Well, odds are that you got some sort of employee handbook or some sort of rules sheet when you got hired, right? I'm sure the 10 days notice was right there somewhere for you to see.

As to what to do, it doesn't look good on a resume for you to quit your first job due to a trip that you forgot to put in a time off request for.

Also stinks to pay out $325 and not get to go on the trip.

Tough call on that one.

Oh, and 3 weeks to earn $325? 8-o Let's see.....$325 divided by 120 hours (40 hours per week times 3 weeks) equals $2.71 per hour 8-o ! You are seriously underpaid. Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Phatferd » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:34 am

I hate grocery stores. I worked at one and they pulled something similar. I was hired to work at a store that was just opening up in a new area. It was a well known chain, but the store was new. I was hired to work the butcher block.

During the interview and the meeting where I was hired I had told them my school schedule and even gave them a copy of it. Needless to say, 2 weeks later when the store opened and I went into the store to see the schedule they had me working every single day from 12-8. I had class 4 days a week from 10-4. They then proceeded to ask me if work or school was a priority and I handed over my apron.

They do not give a crap about you. Their problems are that you talk to your boss, but he never talks to the store manager or the bookkeeper who is most likely scheduling.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:22 am

It's a trip with a Church group right?

When you told them about your problem did they say "too bad"? If they said that I would say that they are a pretty crappy Church, no offence.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby RyanK » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:43 am

you cant get other people you work with to fill your hours those 5 days?
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:51 am

If it comes down to your part-time/summer job (I assume) at the grocery store or a trip that you have already paid for I would quit. You can always find another job like that.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:39 am

Not sure about the employee handbook thing but since he mentioned it on day 1, I would put the responsibility on the bodd to mention the policy at that time. Something like "We better fill out the paperwork right away because we need 10 days notice". New employees have tons of things going on to immediately know the protocol for things like that. I mean, they need 10 days notice and your first day would have been 16 days. Not a lot of leeway. Anyway, what I would do is talk to the boss and explain everything. I would also talk to some other employees that I might have buddied up to over the past time there. Ask a few of them if they could cover for you. Explain everything to them. Hopefully, they can cover. I am sure that you are young so there should be other opportunities. I hate saying to quit your job but I would rather quit a job like this than eat that $$ and work for someone that apparently didn't even listen to you when you told him the first time. If you need to quit and you have to list this job on your resume, explain what happened. They might respect you for it, actually. If not, exclude it from the application. Your resume had to be good enough for this store. Why not another?? You might even be able to secure another job for when you get back from the trip if you act quickly. You never know.

Basically, if you can't get coverage and the boss won't back down, I would just say to him that you are a man of your word and that you committed to this church outing before you worked there. If that's not enough, I would leave.
Last edited by Lofunzo on Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:42 am

I'd be sincere with the boss sit down and tell him the whole deal...don't be accusatory at all!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby theskaboss » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:55 am

Wow, lots of responces...thanks

You're probably right that it was in some booklet i got, but i got seriously around 40 booklets, and they can't assume that a 17 year old would read all of them...

But like Lofunzo said, if he told me about the paper on tuesday, he could have told me on the 6th and would have been able to go...

The church doesnt have my money anymore, they already used to to pay the houseboat dudes, so it's out of their control.

I'm going to ask people to cover for me, but for some reason i really doubt there will be any takers...

I'm going in today to explain myself to my boss, I agree that I should not be accusal, but I think i need to somehow explain that he did not mention the paper on my first day when I told him about the trip...

thanks again for all the help... ;-D
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:06 pm

You can't sell your spot on the boat?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Next

Return to General Talk