Giambi waking up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi waking up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:55 pm

Wow, surprised at how short some peoples' memories are. Giambi has been one of the best hitters in baseball for a long time, and it's not muscles that did it. He has a great eye and can make good contact. Even off the roids and battling health issues he can crush a ball like very few can. I don't know why everybody thinks that just because he's off the juice, that his batting eye is gone. If anything is gone now that he ahd before it's strength and he's shown to have plenty of strength left.

Bitter Yankee fans make me laugh.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bd3521 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:58 pm

The tumor last year made him much weaker and leaner. This year he looks bigger and likely stronger. He's just getting back in the swing of things, literally.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:01 am

LBJackal wrote:Wow, surprised at how short some peoples' memories are. Giambi has been one of the best hitters in baseball for a long time, and it's not muscles that did it. He has a great eye and can make good contact. Even off the roids and battling health issues he can crush a ball like very few can. I don't know why everybody thinks that just because he's off the juice, that his batting eye is gone. If anything is gone now that he ahd before it's strength and he's shown to have plenty of strength left.

.200 batting averages make me laugh. Do you watch every Yankee game? I do. For 2 years I've watched Giambi look like a fool. He hits a homerun and a couple of solid balls in 2 days and I'm supposed to believe it's the second coming of the MVP Giambi?

Give me a freakin' break. What are his numbers again? Call me when he SNIFFS .300. Then maybe I'll be willing to take another look. Two nights worth of decency DOES NOT outweigh 2 years of sh!t I've had to observe from the guy. I'm rooting for him because he's a nice guy and of course he's on the Yankees, but I am not going to jump on his bandwagon after 2 days.

Dude still has a .247 BA for crying out loud...
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:06 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Wow, surprised at how short some peoples' memories are. Giambi has been one of the best hitters in baseball for a long time, and it's not muscles that did it. He has a great eye and can make good contact. Even off the roids and battling health issues he can crush a ball like very few can. I don't know why everybody thinks that just because he's off the juice, that his batting eye is gone. If anything is gone now that he ahd before it's strength and he's shown to have plenty of strength left.

.200 batting averages make me laugh. Do you watch every Yankee game? I do. For 2 years I've watched Giambi look like a fool. He hits a homerun and a couple of solid balls in 2 days and I'm supposed to believe it's the second coming of the MVP Giambi?

Give me a freakin' break. What are his numbers again? Call me when he SNIFFS .300. Then maybe I'll be willing to take another look. Two nights worth of decency DOES NOT outweigh 2 years of sh!t I've had to observe from the guy. I'm rooting for him because he's a nice guy and of course he's on the Yankees, but I am not going to jump on his bandwagon after 2 days.

Amen. Man hits one Hr and stops being total garbage for a period of about a week and all of a sudden it is the second coming of the AL MVP. The man shot roids for a reason. He makes 18-20M to pat himself on the back with a BB...to continue to pull the ball with NO ONE on the left side of the infield. Talk about a Giambi resurggence when we see .270+, 25+ Hrs, 100 rbis, etc.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:08 am

Honestly, Giambi has looked terrible this year, and has been up there just trying to walk. These two games have been very different though, watching his at bats.

I think the biggest thing is CONFIDENCE. He had none and that HR last night is something that could set him straight.

He could go back to sucking, but he could also have finally gotten the confidence to go after the ball again like he has recently. That uppercut seems to be what's killing him; it's too hard to time horizontally and vertically. I can't recall if he had the same uppercut in Oakland.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:10 am

I'm not saying it's a forgone conclusion that Giambi won't do ANYTHING for the rest of the year.

But I AM NOT willing to rant and rave about him after a week. That's insane. If he can get his BA up around .270, like Yanks04 said, and can continue to hit the ball hard for about a month, then maybe I'll re-asses my opinion. Until then, he's just another weakness the Yankees need to address.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:20 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:

:-D ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:22 am

The man's OBA is better than Jeter's and still some continue to say he's got nothing but muscle... wow.... well whatever you guys say. I don't even like the guy but it's so ridiculous how some people are dealing with him that soemthing had to be said.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:43 am

And a 372 slugging...5 Hrs and 19 rbis with a 243 avg...and we are in mid June. And to top it all off he can't play the field worth diddly. All this for ONLY what 15.5 M this season. Going to 19M next season. Oh, but he gets some walks.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers