Giambi waking up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi waking up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bd3521 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:34 pm

slomo007 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:It's not his skill I doubt... it's his health. And judging by that moonshot he seems healthy. I can think of very few people that can hit a ball that hard. And it's not just the distance, it went about as high as it did far. He's definately worth keeping an eye on. If he gets into vintage Giambi form, it could pay off big time to get him now.

It takes muscles to hit the ball far....it takes skill to be a good player. Giambi has muscles.

Muscle hits 95 mph moving baseballs these days 450 feet? wow :-°
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chuckles » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:39 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
SominaDei wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:It's not his skill I doubt... it's his health. And judging by that moonshot he seems healthy. I can think of very few people that can hit a ball that hard. And it's not just the distance, it went about as high as it did far. He's definately worth keeping an eye on. If he gets into vintage Giambi form, it could pay off big time to get him now.

Right...he can hit the ball pretty hard. But in order to hit the ball hard, you need to hit the ball. Something that isn't his forte.

Uhm, which Jason Giambi have you seen since he hit the bigs? Hitting the ball is just about all the guy did. For the first seven years of his career his average went up every year as did his OPS. He topped out at .342 in 2001 when he won the AL MVP. He's hit 40 or more HR 3 times, 30 or more twice, 20 or more three times. He had a six year streak, including two in Pinstripes when he batted in over 100 runs, tops of 137. He can see the ball, and he can hit the ball. The only two bad years the guy has had have been last year and his rookie year, if you can even count that. He's off to a dismal start this year, and yeah he did juice it up... but he's a good ballplayer with a damn good eye... hitting the ball is indeed his forte.

Never use those statistics to try to prove anything, please.

Not a bitter Yankee fan, huh?!!? :-?

I'm intrigued by Giambi since he's started to hit the ball...who knows? He could end up the surprise of the year from here on out...of course he could also end up back in the toilet too...
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:41 pm

I think it's too early to say. The last two nights have been great signs and even when he got out, he hit it hard.

Too early, but he's worth keeping an eye on.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:47 pm

bd3521 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

It takes muscles to hit the ball far....it takes skill to be a good player. Giambi has muscles.

Yes. Blind squirrels find nuts, too.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby donny23 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:
bd3521 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Well, this blind squirrel is using his nose pretty well the last few days. Anyone who has actually watched the games could tell you this wasn't just luck. He's seeing the ball very well right now. He's been hitting the ball pretty hard. Other than the homerun, he's also had a few doubles off the wall the past few days. Will it last? Who knows... To imply he just had one lucky homerun shot shows that you haven't been watching though.

I don't expect much from Giambi the rest of the year, but it's pickups that you can get cheaply and have high upside that can make or break a fantasy season. Usually they won't hurt you much because you didn't give much to get them and if they come through, they can make your entire season...pretty low risk (due to the price) and potential (even if not likely) reward.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:16 pm

Just cause Giambi is off the juice doesnt mean he cant hit over .300 with respectable HR #'s. Steroids dont help your batting eye, you either have it or you dont. Giambi has it. Steroids can only do so much. THey help you hit it further, but you still ahve to hit it. I think he will come back to hitting .300 plus with 25 maytbe 30HR. He just needs to get back in the swing of things
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:32 pm

donny23 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
bd3521 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Well, this blind squirrel is using his nose pretty well the last few days. Anyone who has actually watched the games could tell you this wasn't just luck. He's seeing the ball very well right now. He's been hitting the ball pretty hard. Other than the homerun, he's also had a few doubles off the wall the past few days. Will it last? Who knows... To imply he just had one lucky homerun shot shows that you haven't been watching though.

I don't expect much from Giambi the rest of the year, but it's pickups that you can get cheaply and have high upside that can make or break a fantasy season. Usually they won't hurt you much because you didn't give much to get them and if they come through, they can make your entire season...pretty low risk (due to the price) and potential (even if not likely) reward.

I'd agree.

Slomo, I really doubt you've watched his last two games. To imply it was luck is surely faulty. Having watched these games he looks great and while it's still likely he'll end up sucking again, his success surely hasn't been luck.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:37 pm

He closed his eyes and swung for the fences and got lucky
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:40 pm

You're right, I haven't watched the games....but I'm going to make my guess that he has indeed been in a "hot streak" with his great production.

Yes, I have no respect for his abilities...so take it for what it's worth.......but a guy doesn't just snap his finger and turn in to an all star after a year and a half of sucktitude and a LOT less muscle than he had when he was actually good.

Don't give up much to get him guys...if he's a FA or something, fine...but I'm not even going that far.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby blankman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:41 pm

slomo007 wrote:Don't give up much to get him guys...if he's a FA or something, fine...but I'm not even going that far.

In what league is he still owned anyway? He's likely on the wire in most leagues, so it's no risk.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers