Giambi waking up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi waking up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giambi waking up?

Postby Octavian » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:11 pm

Is he coming back into form? He hasn't done anything consistantly yet... but sometimes it only takes a bloop single to break a slump... or a walkoff homer! Couple good games in a row now and a decent month of June... what do you guys think for the rest of the way?
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:17 pm

I doubt it.. one doesn't just struggle to the extent that he has all that time and then wake up suddenly. A little hot or cold streak during the season is inevitable - every player goes through little streaks.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:17 pm

Hmmm...

He sucks?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:24 pm

It's not his skill I doubt... it's his health. And judging by that moonshot he seems healthy. I can think of very few people that can hit a ball that hard. And it's not just the distance, it went about as high as it did far. He's definately worth keeping an eye on. If he gets into vintage Giambi form, it could pay off big time to get him now.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:35 pm

The Jury wrote:I doubt it.. one doesn't just struggle to the extent that he has all that time and then wake up suddenly. A little hot or cold streak during the season is inevitable - every player goes through little streaks.

Eric Chavez and Manny Ramirez (the guy in your avatar) say hi!
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:44 pm

LBJackal wrote:It's not his skill I doubt... it's his health. And judging by that moonshot he seems healthy. I can think of very few people that can hit a ball that hard. And it's not just the distance, it went about as high as it did far. He's definately worth keeping an eye on. If he gets into vintage Giambi form, it could pay off big time to get him now.

Right...he can hit the ball pretty hard. But in order to hit the ball hard, you need to hit the ball. Something that isn't his forte.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Jury » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:47 pm

rmeesig wrote:
The Jury wrote:I doubt it.. one doesn't just struggle to the extent that he has all that time and then wake up suddenly. A little hot or cold streak during the season is inevitable - every player goes through little streaks.

Eric Chavez and Manny Ramirez (the guy in your avatar) say hi!

Eric Chavez is about to enter his prime sometime soon and Manny Ramirez has cited off-field distractions (mother's illness) as the reason behind his down time. Keep in mind, Manny has kept his power numbers up, it is mainly his average that has been down.

Giambi.. just :-t - no real reason/excuse that can be fixed easily.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Octavian » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:08 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:It's not his skill I doubt... it's his health. And judging by that moonshot he seems healthy. I can think of very few people that can hit a ball that hard. And it's not just the distance, it went about as high as it did far. He's definately worth keeping an eye on. If he gets into vintage Giambi form, it could pay off big time to get him now.

Right...he can hit the ball pretty hard. But in order to hit the ball hard, you need to hit the ball. Something that isn't his forte.

Uhm, which Jason Giambi have you seen since he hit the bigs? Hitting the ball is just about all the guy did. For the first seven years of his career his average went up every year as did his OPS. He topped out at .342 in 2001 when he won the AL MVP. He's hit 40 or more HR 3 times, 30 or more twice, 20 or more three times. He had a six year streak, including two in Pinstripes when he batted in over 100 runs, tops of 137. He can see the ball, and he can hit the ball. The only two bad years the guy has had have been last year and his rookie year, if you can even count that. He's off to a dismal start this year, and yeah he did juice it up... but he's a good ballplayer with a damn good eye... hitting the ball is indeed his forte.
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:10 pm

It takes muscles to hit the ball far....it takes skill to be a good player. Giambi has muscles.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:33 pm

SominaDei wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Uhm, which Jason Giambi have you seen since he hit the bigs? Hitting the ball is just about all the guy did. For the first seven years of his career his average went up every year as did his OPS. He topped out at .342 in 2001 when he won the AL MVP. He's hit 40 or more HR 3 times, 30 or more twice, 20 or more three times. He had a six year streak, including two in Pinstripes when he batted in over 100 runs, tops of 137. He can see the ball, and he can hit the ball. The only two bad years the guy has had have been last year and his rookie year, if you can even count that. He's off to a dismal start this year, and yeah he did juice it up... but he's a good ballplayer with a damn good eye... hitting the ball is indeed his forte.

Never use those statistics to try to prove anything, please.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers